Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2006, 09:38   #1
BHPian

Windows ----> Linux

hey guys help me out. Now I use Windows SP2 (oops! its pirated), and i would like to switch to Linux. Before sometimes I used linux, but I came back to Windows, just because my CADD softwares were designed only for windows.
Now I am planning to go back to Linux. Please specify me a very engineering friendly (means with tools like units converter, graph plotter, optimization tools, etc) Linux flavour. And also some CADD softwares whcih works in Linux.
I need a modelling software with similar functionalities and flexibility of ProE and an analysis software similar to Ansys (I heard that linux version of Ansys is available), both should be a free one.

Pratheesh Prakash
Old 11th January 2006, 09:55   #2
BHPian

Linux version of ansys is available. But sadly it is not free. It would cost a bomb. But believe me when you do a FEA yuo'll see the difference. Linux machines finish the tests way faster than the windows ones. And rarely do yuo have system crashes during analysis.

Not sure about modelling softwares though... I guess Ideas has a linux version.

BTW what modelling / analysis software are you using now? If you purchased a proper license, then i guess you can get back to the vendor and get a deal on the new license.
Old 11th January 2006, 10:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

Agree, while pirated versions of software's are readily available for windows, for linux there will be difficulty.
As for using Windows pirated, MS has started cracking down in India too. So they know who is pirating, and it could turn out to be costly mistake(Fines are in range of 50000rs).

As for the tools you need, units converter etc., List exactly that you want, that would help

you could contact the Linux Bangalore User group(blug.in) or Linux Delhi user group(http://www.linux-delhi.org).
There you will find better answers. If you are insterested in a live discussion come over to #linux-india at irc.freenode.org.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th January 2006 at 10:33.
Old 11th January 2006, 12:29   #4
BHPian

even now i m using pirated versions of Ansys n ProE (though i dont use them for commercial works)...soon I ll shift to Linux... but i want a linux flavour suited to my needs... well than both of you for replying.

Last edited by pratheesh : 11th January 2006 at 12:30.
Old 11th January 2006, 12:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try open source tools like Rhino for modeling. It is quite good.
Old 11th January 2006, 15:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Agree, while pirated versions of software's are readily available for windows, for linux there will be difficulty.
As for using Windows pirated, MS has started cracking down in India too. So they know who is pirating, and it could turn out to be costly mistake(Fines are in range of 50000rs).

As for the tools you need, units converter etc., List exactly that you want, that would help

you could contact the Linux Bangalore User group(blug.in) or Linux Delhi user group(http://www.linux-delhi.org).
There you will find better answers. If you are insterested in a live discussion come over to #linux-india at irc.freenode.org.
Wow how do they know you are using pirate copies ? Unless you connect to the net using your pirate OS how would they know ? Could you a copy of Linux on another partition and use that when going on the net ?
Old 11th January 2006, 15:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
They raided a friends office. Obviously found a couple of PCs with pirated windows and MS office. After some serious begging and apologising, they left, but only after he had bought 2 official copies of Windows Xp and one of MS office.
Old 11th January 2006, 16:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Yes that could be a solution. But a tad inconvinient so most people who are into serious gaming and all stick to windows, others go to linux. I use windows just for gaming and standard chartered website . Have got a licenced XP, so no issues of M$ getting to know.

Other solution is to get a firewall, and disallow any M$ application to connect to the internet, like updater etc.,
Old 11th January 2006, 20:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

I used slackware many many years ago. I have tried Ubuntu Linux, and it runs well. I am not sure if they will ship to India but if you click on shipit free cds and fill in your details you may get lucky. I had the discs a few months ago. It used to let you order a few free copies so order a few and give them to your mates.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
Old 11th January 2006, 21:34   #10
BHPian

Forget it... just buy windows (~ Rs. 5000/-)

Since you have used Linux, I'm sure you know that it can be a pain.

There is no good MCAD software (Solid, surface) for linux, yet...

- mvnk
Old 12th January 2006, 06:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

if you are acquainted to linux and love playing with your pc, dont even look at windows.

I have always been a windows guy until now. But last week I used linux and I knew what I need. The latest linux 64-bit rocks.
Old 12th January 2006, 09:01   #12
BHPian

Infact I love to work with a Linux machine.... only problem is I cant play with the configurations like I did with a windows machine... and also the caddware issue. I havent worked with caddwares in linux machine.

Last edited by pratheesh : 12th January 2006 at 09:03.
Old 12th January 2006, 09:08   #13
Team-BHP Support

Its not difficult to play around with configs, infact advanced config is easy one you get the hang of it. ITs all a case of familiarity. My take is that if you find good linux cad software go to linux, otherwise you can stick to windows
Old 12th January 2006, 09:19   #14
BHPian

I dont want to stick to windows, even if it is provided free!!!
I dont have access to many of my favorite programs when using Linux, as they dont have a linux version, i dont want to use the win emulators either.
Old 12th January 2006, 09:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

If you dont have the programs then you have to use emulators or windows. There is no way out. You could try asking around in linux-bangalore-technical users group in yahoo. Large community. Most programs(except games) have an equivalent in the unix world. Infact in the engineering field its usually the other way round. Companies release their softwares for the unix world and not for windows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks