Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2006, 10:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheesh
I dont want to stick to windows, even if it is provided free!!!
I dont have access to many of my favorite programs when using Linux, as they dont have a linux version, i dont want to use the win emulators either.
you can get MacIntel
http://www.cnet.com/4520-11740_1-641...tag=cnetfd.ld3
Old 12th January 2006, 11:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Try using Wine for Windows simulation on Linux.

Ironically, all serious CAD softwares are developed on *nix platforms. Whether it is Catia, Idea, Pro/E, Unigraphics or CADDS. Just that you can't afford to buy them on those *nix boxes.
Old 12th January 2006, 13:02   #18
BHPian

How about Linspire(formerly Lindows)?? I havent tried it out. But it seems to be a viable option. Check out the link. Free download too.

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...730&cat_id=580

Download link:
http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...ticle_id=66732
Old 12th January 2006, 13:43   #19
BHPian

Calm down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheesh
I dont want to stick to windows, even if it is provided free!!!
Hi there!

It is entirely your perspective what you actually end-up using. But I just want to tell you that, maybe you should not take such a HARD point of view on this issue... nothing is worth getting stuck-up about.

I used to be a linux fanatic... but now I use windows and it doesn't trouble me too much. Whatever gets the job done...

- mvnk

Last edited by DrunkenMonk : 12th January 2006 at 13:44. Reason: html tags did'nt work...
Old 12th January 2006, 21:50   #20
BHPian

Ubuntu is a good flavor of Unix. I've used it & quite happy with it.

You can order it free on the web (they'll pay even shipping charge).

But still I believe you can't ditch Windows easily. Lots of useful programs are not available in Linux yet.

It's true that Microsoft now raids in offices in India as well. However, personal users still not need to worry about that.

What I feel that every small/medium office should now use Linux alongside Windows. For normal day to day work Linux is as good as Windows (Office = Open Office) etc.
However, for high end CAD programs (personal use), Windows still leads.

Can anyone tell me how do they conduct the raids? Do they just come & ask you to switch on your computer & checks if it boots with Windows? Or they open the console & examine hard disk content physically? If you can show them you're running Linux on your computer will they simply go away?
Old 30th October 2007, 00:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Resurfacing this thread again. We are looking for a neat OS in our office which would serve the purpose of regular office work connecting to an in house server as well as a central server in delhi. The office is recommending only linux while some people are quite averse to this idea. Could someone tell me how much of a difference would it make between using windows vista or Red Hat linux 8 ? Would really appreciate some useful inputs here.
Old 30th October 2007, 08:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

Unless you want to play need for speed on office terminals, it wont matter.
All applications for Mail/browsing etc., are pretty similar, and its just a matter of moving out of comfort zone.
However Redhat 8 is antiquated. Why not go with a later version like Enterprise 4
Old 30th October 2007, 08:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
All applications for Mail/browsing etc., are pretty similar, and its just a matter of moving out of comfort zone.
This is what i said too. But, personally I am yet to experience Linux which i am planning to do today. Does Linux need any specially trained people to install/maintain ? And are they hard to find ?
Old 30th October 2007, 08:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

LUnIx . . . CAD & Linux: Linux CAD Links may help. So might Linux cad software I have little by way of CAD fundaes so no real clue.

Ubuntu is amazing, and Synaptic takes care of everything.
Old 30th October 2007, 08:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This is what i said too. But, personally I am yet to experience Linux which i am planning to do today. Does Linux need any specially trained people to install/maintain ? And are they hard to find ?
Installation of applications, upgrades and hardware compatilbility issues are the biggest problems with Linux. Once you have these issues sorted out, you should not be having problems, unlike Windows which keeps crashing regularly and needs to be kept updated with latest patches and SPs.

You will also need sometime to get used to its UI. I have both Vista and RHL on my Home PC and do keep shuttling between the two often.
Old 30th October 2007, 08:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
You will also need sometime to get used to its UI. I have both Vista and RHL on my Home PC and do keep shuttling between the two often.
do you have a dual boot ?
if yes, which os did you install first ?
Old 30th October 2007, 10:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
They raided a friends office. Obviously found a couple of PCs with pirated windows and MS office. After some serious begging and apologising, they left, but only after he had bought 2 official copies of Windows Xp and one of MS office.
looks like Microsoft sales are slumping or they are just getting annoyed at Mukesh becoming the richest man in the world and are trying to get Gates back on the helm.

I would bet that atleast 50% of the windows version in use in India are pirated. The logistical cost of conducting a raid in each and everyone of those comps is staggering!
Old 30th October 2007, 10:35   #28
Team-BHP Support

Its an office, so the effort will be more towards building a stable network with adequate security. So with that as the motive Linux will be as easy as MS.
On home front, you need to be more technical.
Its just anout hiring the right personnel. Hiring a MCSE when you need a linux admin won't help.
Many companies I know off have the backbone running linux with managers given Windows laptops. Thats the standard compromise. Even there I have seen more technical people opting for linux laptops. This saves quite a bit of money too for the company.
Old 30th October 2007, 11:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Installation of applications, upgrades and hardware compatilbility issues are the biggest problems with Linux. Once you have these issues sorted out, you should not be having problems, unlike Windows which keeps crashing regularly and needs to be kept updated with latest patches and SPs.

This was true a loooong time ago.

In fact, a lot of stuff you need to install drivers for on Windows comes ready with Ubuntu, and Synaptic makes it a breeze to do the rest. Just got my dad up and running on an Ubuntu lappie - and he did not miss a beat.
Old 30th October 2007, 11:22   #30
Team-BHP Support

Regarding the windows XP driver myth, I recently changed my Dell HDD from 80GB to 160GB. Installed a fresh clean HDD, so installed XP again.
Guess what, it was a pain, downloading all those drivers etc.,
If I had a Ubuntu DVD, all the things on my laptop are natively supported.

But its not all rosy. If I wanted to connect my Nokia phone to the PC, I can do a 32MB download for windows, but for linux it will be a pain.

That said, for a typical office environment with HP printers, linux will not face any hurdles or roadblocks.

Infact now Dell etc., are shipping PCs with linux pre-installed.

esteem_lover, you are in chennai. Its very easy to find good professionals down south in linux land, and the LUGs in south cities are pretty active.

PM me your requirements(number of PCs etc.,) and I will give you some email addresses etc., of people who are in this domain. Many of them are hobbyists(read, free advice) and some are associated with Redhat as regional heads etc.,

Most Viewed