Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 02:02   #1
BHPian

Japanese Nuclear Energy Situation

I found this article while surfing some news websites, and realized its quite an interesting read for those who are interested (link pasted below).
Since I have watched so many sci-fi movies in my childhood the news of Japanese Nuclear Disaster gave me quite a scare.

http://www.nei.org/filefolder/Japane...ation_FAQs.pdf

But I am glad, I also found some encouraging remarks from experts on this subject. One such remark was:

"If you live in Chernobyl the total radiation dose you get each year is 390 millirem. That’s natural plus residual from the accident and fire. In Denver, Colorado, the natural dose is over 1000 millirem/year. Denver gets more than 2.56 times as much radiation as Chernobyl! But Denver has a low cancer rate”.

Read the article if it interests you.

Thanks.

Last edited by girlieonwheels : 16th March 2011 at 02:04.
Old 16th March 2011, 02:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Japanese Nuclear Energy Situation

On another discussion forum, I found some more updates:

Can this cause a nuclear explosion?

No. It is physically impossible for a nuclear power station to explode like a nuclear weapon.

Making a nuclear bomb is very difficult, and it is completely impossible for a nuclear reactor to accidentally become a bomb. Secondary systems, like cooling or turbines, can explode due to pressure and stress problems, but these are not nuclear explosions.

Is Tokyo in danger?

Currently, measured radiation levels are slightly higher than normal in many areas of Japan at the moment, including parts of Tokyo. However, they are still down in single- or double-digit microSv per hour levels, far below any danger.

Can this end up like Chernobyl?

No, it cannot. for several reasons.

Source: Japan's Nuclear Situation - be a bit worried - The Something Awful Forums

God bless our world!
Thanks!

Last edited by girlieonwheels : 16th March 2011 at 02:35.
Old 16th March 2011, 05:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Regardless of the intensity, the situation is not very good. I lived thru a 6+ earthquake and it takes a heavy toll one's system. Even a plane or car can wake you up at night thinking your house is going to collapse, your own brain can start playing games with you :( . Add tsunami and now nuclear accidents and it's a disastrous situation for Japanese.

And don't be surprised if radiation hits west coast thru the pacific in the long run.

EDIT: Just noticed you are in CMH, for how long?

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 16th March 2011 at 05:37.
Old 16th March 2011, 08:21   #4
BHPian

Well, some of the websites say that the radiation hasnt reached harmful levels. Is there any information how much leak or any further leaks from the plants.

How does the radiation travel in air and at what rate. Do they travel in all directions. North,south, east, west or follow the wind directions. How does it not affect people if they stay indoors. Do they not go up into the atmosphere and vanish or get dispersed and reduce in density to significant lower lavels.

Am asking this because many of the IT folks would have got an alert mail stating that the nuclear radiation would reach Philipines yesterday at 4 P.M and people should exercise caution if they are getting wet in the rain by not getting wet or not getting their necks exposed. Apparently thyroids are the ones more vulnerable.

Am in vietnam now and information on the above questions would help answer anxious friends /family of mine who are concerned. Many would be working in this part of the world too.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post

Am asking this because many of the IT folks would have got an alert mail stating that the nuclear radiation would reach Philipines yesterday at 4 P.M and people should exercise caution if they are getting wet in the rain by not getting wet or not getting their necks exposed. Apparently thyroids are the ones more vulnerable.

True, most of us did receive these mails/ messages/BBM's stating that nuclear radiations were to hit Phillipnes at 4PM yesterday. No news of any damage in Philipines as of now at least.

On another note, today's TOI mentions that most IT companies (Infy, TCS, Cognizant, Mindtree) have asked their employees in Japan to locate to either China or come back to India (just as a precaution).
Old 16th March 2011, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very good links there, Girlie... Thanks.
I believe there are a lot of hoax emails and smses circulating to cause undue panic. However, the situation in Japan IS critical, and will have a very long term impact on the Japanese people. Let's hope for the best, and that the nuclear power plants do not end up spewing a lot of radiation.
Old 16th March 2011, 18:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

ummm....why the smilie for this thread? I thought this was a sensitive/serious issue ??
Old 16th March 2011, 20:59   #8
BHPian

I am no expert in this matter, but here is what I learnt from various sites. Also, in case you find any discrepancies, please feel free to correct me.

Quote:
How does the radiation travel in air and at what rate?
Radioactive material is carried in the air where it can be directly inhaled into the lungs or combined with rain to affect the soil, water supply, aquatic ecosystems, and food crops. This material is dangerous because it can cause dramatic changes in ecosystems.

In the human body, radioactive material can cause mutations in DNA, which then lead to the development of cancer. Children and babies - particularly unborn babies - are especially vulnerable to the effects of radiation as their young bodies are just beginning to grow and develop

Cow's milk is particularly susceptible to the effects of radiation as cow's pick up radioactive materials as they graze that are easily concentrated in their milk. And who drinks the most cows’ milk? You guessed it. Children and babies.

Exposure to radiation has also been linked to miscarriage and infertility in both men and women.

Quote:
Do they travel in all directions? North, south, east, west or follow the wind directions.
The general rule is that the weather moves from west to east. The nuclear power plant is on the ocean and the winds (westerly winds blow eastward). Considering this Japan major nuclear radiation will blow over and into the Pacific Ocean.
Here is something from the news sites:
Much depends on whether the nuclear reactors undergo a partial or full meltdown and the direction of prevailing winds.
By early Wednesday, winds were expected to be blowing radiation over the Pacific Ocean and away from Japan and other Asian countries. "It will keep the contamination moving briskly out to sea," said Jeffrey Masters, a meteorologist and co-founder of Weather Underground, which provides weather information.

Quote:
Well, some of the websites say that the radiation hasn’t reached harmful levels. Is there any information how much leak or any further leaks from the plants.
My personal thoughts:
The whole situation seems to be getting out of control for the Japanese Government. Or at least, that’s what is being portrayed by the general world media. An interesting point to note is that other countries in the world have not started major rescue work in Japan. I did read on one particular site that the help from U.S is being considered.

Japan is considering asking for military help from the US to spray water from helicopters into the pool for the reactor, which had been shut down before the quake for maintenance.

Japan moves to allay fears over risk of radiation leaks - The Irish Times - Tue, Mar 15, 2011

But on another news website of U.S, it was mentioned that it is not yet confirmed. Some sites mentioned that the U.S. military sent two fire trucks to help with fires at one of Japan's nuclear plants. (Really, fire trucks, that’s all!)

Other than that most other countries are silently watching. There are many questions that come to my mind at this point:
  • Is the information provided by Japanese media correct – the seriousness of the whole situation?
  • I mean, is the situation really grave?
  • Or is Japanese Government expecting this to become a major disaster and hence the evacuation work has started out in major scale?
  • Why are some scientists saying that the level of radiation is still within safety limits?
  • Why are the other countries just watching this situation?
  • Why has no other country extended major help?
  • Is Japan really unable to control this situation, or is it how they want it to be?
  • Is it possible that this situation is being over-hyped by rest of the countries to reduce Japan’s overall credibility in the global world?
  • Is it possible that Japan is under serious trouble, but is trying its best to keep the matter hushed up?
In the last years, Japan has been emerging as a major economic power. I am sure there are competitors who are not so happy.
At the same time, I also strongly believe that the situations like this are controllable if governments want to control it. Is our world’s technology not prepared to handle one Nuclear Plant getting over heated? I will not really agree to this.

Why is everyone watching? What’s the political side of this story?
Since this is not a political forum, I will limit this discussion and leave it for all of you to think. I cannot believe that the things are exactly how they appear to be. There are so many missing links which we might learn about in generations to come. Or which might get buried along with the nuclear waste that is being dumped into the sea.
Quote:
why the smilie for this thread? I thought this was a sensitive/serious issue ??
Please don’t be picky for the smiley. I don’t mind if you remove it. This is undeniably a very sensitive issue, so don't fret over that poor thing.

Last edited by girlieonwheels : 16th March 2011 at 21:03.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Some things which i observed were

1) Media is doing a bad job in showing only the nuclear plant affect as we have not got an official statement of sorts from the power plant but depend on people who have not seen or analysed the situation.

2) Whatever happens India for now can say goodbye for the chances to set up 21 nuclear plants. The opposition will be intense and also seriously, If this could happen in Japan worse can happen to anyone.

3) There has been hoax sms doing rounds in Asia which is FALSE. BBC did a report on it and recommended people not to fall for this hoax.

4) The people of Japan have shown tremendous honor and decency and this should be appreciated. Any way of helping them out should be done. These are the times when you understand who your true friend is and who is not.

Finally look at the seismic map which came up on the IBN live
Map: Nuclear plants and seismic zones in India - India News - IBNLive
Old 17th March 2011, 00:47   #10
CPH
BHPian

Denverhas got a higher radiation level than where in Chernobyl? A lot of the area around Chernobyl is exclusion zone. Forgotten are about the effects on health in chernobyl. Well, they are dead aren't they?

Why did the Ronald Reagan move out of the area when there is nothing?

Why have most of the foreigners been called back, who came to help?

Saddam's weapons on mass destruction were a terrible world wide threat. The problem was, that they didn't exist. Nobody talks about it antmore as the idea has served its purpose.

At Fukushima they move people away. I take it is because it is absolutely safe to stay there. Or do I get something wrong?

If it is so safe, then the anti nuclear lobby must be totally nuts.

But I am sure politics and bankers will tie all the (missing) lose ends together and take us for ride because they are of the belief that we are to stupid to see what is what. And finally they will get their white wash enquiry. When as much time will be passed as chernobyl is in the past, the truth will come out. But who bothers? The victims can't being dead and the responsible won't as they are retired with outrageous retirment packages and (failure) bonusses.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

@CPH, didn't understand what you were driving at. Are you saying the danger has been overstated?

Re others: In this situation it's all the more difficult to seek help from foreign nations. This is because it's not just a natural calamity but a pending nuclear disaster. No country would be willing, at least officially, to engage foreigners in a potentially deadly mission like this.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:40   #12
BHPian

A nuclear power plant is not going to explode like a nuclear bomb. The radiation will be due to the nuclear fuel getting exposed because of the melt down of the shield and other protective layers. The situation is serious but don't compare with a nuclear weapon explosion
Old 17th March 2011, 15:01   #13
BANNED

A few points: Even a few km away the radiation levels are safe. Remember you get radiation from everywhere - house (P31 in bricks), cosmic rays, X-rays (A CT or angio may be 30 times more), cosmic rays, beach (the white sands in Kerala are high in Thoria), etc. As long as you do not imbibe too much you are Ok. Even if you go a few km underground you will still get neutrinos. The situation is bad, but not alarming.

The Europeans are worried but not alarmed. The media and the yanks are going ballistic: The yanks have lost the nuclear race to the Europeans (esp French), Japanese and Russians. They have not developed anything new for over 20 years.

Also, these reactors were developed by GE so the Americans must be worried about liabilities.

I am no nuclear power expert but have spent over five years around research reactors.

I have a different question. How safe are our dams? We need energy so it has to be thermal, hydel or nuclear. Solar and the rest are in the future. I have visions of a tidal wave running down the country, if a dam fails due to an earthquake.

Last edited by sgiitk : 17th March 2011 at 15:15.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:31   #14
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
@CPH, didn't understand what you were driving at. Are you saying the danger has been overstated?
In this case understated. But what I am heading for is the fact that politicians and bankers who both have two things in common: A craving for power/control and extreme greed, but no honesty.

Nuclear power plants are safe when designed to specification. ut this comes expensive. They designs are down grade in production saving costs. Power plants are designed to run at most times of 80 to 90% of their capacity. Engineers try not to run them at 100% as this is getting to the limits of safety. But a lot of the plants are run at 110%! This is pushing the limits and pre-programming problems. Service schedules are flawed and not in line with the designers.

The truth about the risks is being groomed as the bankers know that the consequences are. And delay tactics is played afterwards. The closest example you had is Bhopal. Union Carbide did tell lies after lies and who got compensation? Who took responsibility for the people dying and suffering till date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
A nuclear power plant is not going to explode like a nuclear bomb. The radiation will be due to the nuclear fuel getting exposed because of the melt down of the shield and other protective layers. The situation is serious but don't compare with a nuclear weapon explosion
To be honest, I rather would be dying in an explosion than getting radiation poisoning and slowly die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A few points: Even a few km away the radiation levels are safe. Remember you get radiation from everywhere - house (P31 in bricks), cosmic rays, X-rays (A CT or angio may be 30 times more), cosmic rays, beach (the white sands in Kerala are high in Thoria), etc. As long as you do not imbibe too much you are Ok. Even if you go a few km underground you will still get neutrinos. The situation is bad, but not alarming. The Europeans are worried but not alarmed. The media and the yanks are going ballistic: The yanks have lost the nuclear race to the Europeans (esp French), Japanese and Russians. They have not developed anything new for over 20 years. Also, these reactors were developed by GE so the Americans must be worried about liabilities. I am no nuclear power expert but have spent over five years around research reactors. I have a different question. How safe are our dams - we need energy so it has to be thermal, hydel or nuclear. Solar and the rest are in the future. I have visions of a tidal wave running down the country, if a dam fails due to an earthquake.
I do not want to overstate the problem. I am in favour of nuclear power plants. What I am against is the ruthless abuse by the ones who are earning unjustifiable amounts of money on our back.

Fact is that the design has flaws. Fact is that the eart quake (as have others has put stresses) on the structure. Fact is that some people are out there frantically trying to solve the problems risking their lives and health. Fact is that these reactors are finished, which begs the question why bothering and not just letting the meltdown happen since this should be possible without any safety risks!

The conclusion is that obviously things are no alright because of to much bribing and corruption going on. And this finally leads to the questions you have raised as a logical conclusion:

How safe are all the other installations? And how much longer do we let the responsible people get away with it. When do we show that we are not taking anymore? This regardless whether it is a nuclear power plant, a hydro electric plant, a war that is manufactured or projects that have no other value than making someonme corrupt any richer!
Old 17th March 2011, 15:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

I can't get your point CPH.... are you saying
1. Bankers caused Earthquake?
2. Bankers knew earthquake was going to happen and planned everything for the past few years to get things to this level
3. Bankers caused the earthquake, but politicians caused Tsunami due to hot air their empty words produced?
4. You mention bribes also. Did somebody bribe some demons or something.I guess we need to do exorcism rituals then

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks