Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 16:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Quick road fix by Japanese workers

If its a matter of just 6 days, then why do the trees in the photo seem to be from different seasons. The "after" photo seem to be from start-of-fall-season and the trees in the quake photo, the trees are end-of-fall-season. These photos seem to be in reverse chronological order! As rightly pointed out by few others, the good-road photo seems to be the before photo and the earthquake photo seems to be the "after" photo.
Old 25th March 2011, 17:15   #17
BHPian

Wow, I really do not believe that we are discussing if the photographs are genuine or not!!!!
Did it ever occur to you that the country was hit by a Tsunami followed by earthquakes? Have you seen the footage of the water devastating property & infrastructure?
It could be as simple as those trees were damaged by natural calamity (which in this case it has!!!!).
Old 25th March 2011, 17:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Wow, I really do not believe that we are discussing if the photographs are genuine or not!!!!
Did it ever occur to you that the country was hit by a Tsunami followed by earthquakes? Have you seen the footage of the water devastating property & infrastructure?
It could be as simple as those trees were damaged by natural calamity (which in this case it has!!!!).
If you pay attention and read carefully, no one has questioned the genuineness of the photographs themselves, just the possibility that people could be viewing it in the wrong order.
Old 25th March 2011, 17:22   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
This is what Arun (absynthguzzler) had to say

has anyone considered the fact that the before and after pics could have been interchanged by a typically whinging Indian who sought to potray his own disgust at his motherland r and came up with the poster ??

The trees on the right is a dead giveaway .
1 : There are more trees in the damaged picture indicating that the smaller ones have grown .

2: If it was a before and after shot in jst 6 days time , then how is it that the trees are not the same size and colour ( i.e same season of the yr) .

baaah humbug!........ i hate the muppets that come up with such cr*p to poison one's mind.
Exactly what I wanted to say!! Thanks for posting !

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Please don't be paranoid and shy away to accept great accomplishments. Japan has nothing and nobody to prove their efficiency. They are on their way to rebuild a nation not to fill their own coffers.
These are two unrelated issues, are they not? Nobody is trying to rob them of their credit and self-pride as a nation. But we always see potshots at India in the media.

--Ragul
Old 25th March 2011, 18:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
These are two unrelated issues, are they not? Nobody is trying to rob them of their credit and self-pride as a nation. But we always see potshots at India in the media.

--Ragul
And this is what agonises me that for anything someone will come up and India isso bad et al. Rather than doing anything for the nation, all we like doing is criticise.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:22   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Truly a fascinating culture & people. Amongst foreign countries, I respect the Japanese & Germans the most.

Here's an email I received that wouldn't be out of place on this thread:

Quote:
This is what Japan demonstrated even in the grave situation caused by the
deadly earthquake and tsunami. A lot to learn....

* THE CALM: Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief.
Sorrow itself has been elevated.

* THE DIGNITY: Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a
rough word or a crude gesture.

* THE ABILITY: The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings
swayed but didn't fall.

* THE GRACE: People bought only what they needed for the present, so
everybody could get something.

* THE ORDER: No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on
the roads. Just understanding

* THE SACRIFICE: Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the
N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?

* THE TENDERNESS: Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left
alone. The strong cared for the weak.

* THE TRAINING: The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what
to do. And they did just that.

* THE MEDIA: They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No
silly reporters. Only calm reportage.

* THE CONSCIENCE: When the power went off in a store, people put
things back on the shelves and left quietly.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
If you pay attention and read carefully, no one has questioned the genuineness of the photographs themselves, just the possibility that people could be viewing it in the wrong order.
Would it really hurt to give credit \ extend sympathy to a country that has been devastated by calamity? Even if the pictures are fake, so what, keep in mind the recent loss & move on, lease by giving more support, rather than mud-slinging. God!!!

Last edited by mb_jg : 25th March 2011 at 19:32.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Would it really hurt to give credit \ extend sympathy to a country that has been devastated by calamity? Even if the pictures are fake, so what, keep in mind the recent loss & move on, lease by giving more support, rather than mud-slinging. God!!!
Sir,

Nobody is mud slinging on Japan. But see the initial posts. Mudslinging on India and comparison started.

If you read my post, I have immense respect for Japanese people and all of us over here pray for the nation to get back on its feet fast!
Old 25th March 2011, 19:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm not sure about the before and after pictures are right as the trees and their colours don't match. Looks like different season altogether for the after picture.
The color of trees may be different due to photoshop!!!!
Can't people change black beauty to gori sundari by photoshop?

We Indians also do such fast work when there is pressure.
Railway guys repair the ruined rail tracks with amazing speed.
There are lot of incident of landslide on konkan rail, within some hours, the guys open the track after hard work in the rain.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:49   #25
BHPian

The Japanese don't have to prove anything to anyone. They've risen up once from heavy devastation and shown what they are capable of.

It's upto other people to learn and implement these levels of integrity and work ethics.
Old 31st March 2011, 19:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just to help clarify on the 'before'/'after' pics....those pics are definitely genuine.

The confusion is, I guess, due to the fact that both the pics are taken at different focal lengths (hence, perspective is different); and most importantly, some trees/bushes have been chopped down during renovation of the road. Please have a look at the circled area in the below pic : those trees have been removed during the road renovation.

Quick road fix by Japanese workers-japanroadfixedbefore31mar2011.jpg

Now, 'remove' those trees mentally from the above pic, and compare with the 'after' pic below to understand what I am saying.

Quick road fix by Japanese workers-japanroadfixedafter31mar2011.jpg

Shame on us for doubting the veracity of those pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
The picture are right just taken at different places. The pic which shows the repaired road is taken from a position which is ahead of the the before picture.

Take a look at the transmission towers. Look 'ahead' in the before pic, it matches exactly with the after pic.
you are right, akhilesh !

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 31st March 2011 at 19:43.
Old 1st April 2011, 00:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

for every one who are doubting the tree colors, i guess photographer got his "white balance" wrong. also Sakura season is starting at end of March in Japan. so even this could be the reason. AFAIR the highway authorities which maintain kanto expressway had released the photo.

Quote:
As rightly pointed out by few others, the good-road photo seems to be the before photo and the earthquake photo seems to be the "after" photo.
this happens only in india, especially in manifestos of our political parties. good road foto during election and after election only bad roads and thanks to politics and corruption, we auto enthusiast will not even be able to enjoy driving (may be yes in case of 4*4 owner)

Last edited by recshenoy : 1st April 2011 at 00:40.
Old 1st April 2011, 10:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

True. They are capable of this and need not show others to prove it. Even we are also capable but not using them. Six days for that is simply remarkable. For us, to fill a pothole there will be a discussion on it for couple of months, then fills it up with mud. After the rain washes it away, another meeting over it. Finally before the elections, they speed things up just for sake of elections and to convince the people.
Old 1st April 2011, 10:44   #29
BHPian

I believe the pictures are true,

Look at the land on the right of the road after the railings, what was grassy before is now what looks like a concrete slope. Also in the right center we can see what I think are damaged buildings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks