Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 23:20   #1
BHPian

Help Please : Total Loss or Repair

Hi guys,

My 1 year 5 months old swift met with an accident, head on with a jeep guy who was overtaking a bus at a sharp curve. I survived with minor injuries on forehead and chest thanks to the seat belt(Should I say thanks ?, if it was that great, how did I hit the stearing, even though I had tight it properly!).

Car was with MASS and they did an estimation and reported that it requirs 3+lac to repair, and in that case insurance company(surveyor) unofficialy delcared total loss(IDV is 4.15L).

I sent out an email to insurance company stating that, if it becomes total loss I need the RC book back to claim road tax.

They put another surveyor, redone the estimation and came out with saying, they will repair it and cost them around 2L. I spoke to surveyor and he "unofficialy" informed me that, if I revoke RC book surrender demand, they could still get a good buyer and make it total loss, in that case I will get 4L.

My questions are:

1. How good the car would be after repair, I heard car may have several issues after such a repair, if so what would be like ? (tomorrow I may get a complete list of things needs to replaced or repaired, but I heard from surveyor that Apron, fender .. such things needs to be changed)

2. Should I make it total loss or opt to repair?
Old 27th April 2011, 23:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help Please : Total Loss or Repair

raj sorry to hear about your accident and am glad that you haven't had any life threatening injuries. Here's me wishing you a speedy recovery.

Quote:
1. How good the car would be after repair, I heard car may have several issues after such a repair, if so what would be like ? (tomorrow I may get a complete list of things needs to replaced or repaired, but I heard from surveyor that Apron, fender .. such things needs to be changed)
Depends on what kind of structural damage has occurred. Would you be able to post some pictures of the car ?
Regarding the problems, if its about engine related issues then I don't think it should be much of a hassle if all damaged parts are being replaced.Once again depends on the extent of the hit taken.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 27th April 2011 at 23:54.
Old 28th April 2011, 00:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj,

Really very sorry on hearing the accident. Happy to note that you were not injured very heavily which is actually more important.

Coming to the point, I am seeing the list of your discussion are going offline.
Thus try to gets things done formally.

1. Have a list of changes the the MASS guy would be making, try to understand what are those changes. If possible post it here.
One can make out of which of these are covered and not covered in Insurance.
2. Next present the list of estimates to the insurance provider, gets his buy in on what all are the parts that he will be paying for.

Use this forum to get the right direction on those for which the Insurance provider has mentioned he will not pay.

Additionally, what is the insurer saying about the accident is he saying its your fault or something like that?
Also not sure if this will be applicable here, is there an FIR lodged, are the any possibility of claiming 3rd party loss from the scorpio's insurance provider??
Old 28th April 2011, 01:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey rajswiftvdi,

Really sorry to hear about the incident. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'm sure with an estimate of 3+ lacs, your car must have suffered Apron damage and the chassis might have taken the hit. If so, I would suggest you to sell if off(total loss), because, the quality of workmanship at the factory can never be matched at the A.S.S.

OK, assume you get it done 'perfectly' from the A.S.S with 2+ Lacs. Still you will be having to shell out atleast ~40k as depreciation. Add to that, the hit that re-sale value takes, its not really worth it.

Take the 4.15L add another 1.5L and buy a new swift, or a better car.

btw, a question for you: Why is the IDV just 4.15L?. It definitely should be much more. Or did the agent offer you a 'low' premium policy?
Old 28th April 2011, 07:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear that raj, wishing you good luck in resolving this issue.

What is their objection to you claiming the road tax, etc. - because they won't be able to repair and sell without the new buyer paying the road tax?

Forget the math, it will most likely to be in favor of getting the car repaired. You have to ask yourself, having had a close shave, would you hit the highway with the repaired car? If it is meant for general city errands, then repairing is an option. But for highway, I would get myself a new/used car that has better safety equipment.

I would start afresh with a new/used car and also become a more cautious driver. I am not saying it was your fault, but always helps to be more defensive/cautious. I recently had a near disaster and I was completely shaken up. It has changed my driving style for good (I hope).
Old 28th April 2011, 08:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Raj, sorry to know about the accident and wish you a fast recovery.

Please post some pictures of the car for us to give our opinion. If its a structural damage, its better to get Total Loss. Else go for repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

What is their objection to you claiming the road tax, etc. - because they won't be able to repair and sell without the new buyer paying the road tax?
Exactly. If the owner takes the RC then the insurance company will be able to sell the vehicle as salvage/scrap/part by part basis. Else it will get repaired at a local workshop and go to tier-2/3 town.
Old 28th April 2011, 09:22   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajswiftvdi View Post
Hi guys,

My 1 year 5 months old swift met with an accident, head on with a jeep guy who was overtaking a bus at a sharp curve. I survived with minor injuries on forehead and chest thanks to the seat belt(Should I say thanks ?, if it was that great, how did I hit the stearing, even though I had tight it properly!).

Car was with MASS and they did an estimation and reported that it requirs 3+lac to repair, and in that case insurance company(surveyor) unofficialy delcared total loss(IDV is 4.15L).

I sent out an email to insurance company stating that, if it becomes total loss I need the RC book back to claim road tax.

They put another surveyor, redone the estimation and came out with saying, they will repair it and cost them around 2L. I spoke to surveyor and he "unofficialy" informed me that, if I revoke RC book surrender demand, they could still get a good buyer and make it total loss, in that case I will get 4L.

My questions are:

The Initial Estimate of 3 lacs would go upto 4+ lacs when Actual work starts and ends....

So no point, Dont ever agree for repairs, since the structural damage done cannot be repaired to its prime. You will start getting all sorts of issues after the repair.

Insist on Total Loss and go ahead.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 09:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Raj,

Sorry to hear about the accident and happy to know that you sufferred only minor injuries. Yes., seat belt is a big saviour and people do not realise that. A friend of mine met with a minor accident and was not wearing seat bealt and is sufferreing from rib cage fracture.

Coming to the main point, if the body is damaged beyond recognition, then junk the car. Does not make sense as in most of accidents the body takes the brunt of the impact and if the body itself is damaged it will become a risk. Even if you go for repairs, ensure that they replace the body completely and no repairs here pls.

A friend of mine had an accident in his Scorpio - toppling - and body was severely damaged - nothing happenned to him - and the insurance guys were reluctant to replace the body. He fought with them and made them replace it.

My two cents.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
raj
Depends on what kind of structural damage has occurred. Would you be able to post some pictures of the car ?
Sure, will post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post

1. Have a list of changes the the MASS guy would be making, try to understand what are those changes. If possible post it here.
One can make out of which of these are covered and not covered in Insurance.
2. Next present the list of estimates to the insurance provider, gets his buy in on what all are the parts that he will be paying for.

Use this forum to get the right direction on those for which the Insurance provider has mentioned he will not pay.

Additionally, what is the insurer saying about the accident is he saying its your fault or something like that?
Also not sure if this will be applicable here, is there an FIR lodged, are the any possibility of claiming 3rd party loss from the scorpio's insurance provider??
Major parts need to be changed:

AC Compressor
Oil Pump
Oil Cooler
Whole ABS related things
Steering column assembly
RHS Apron needs to be replaced. LHS may replace or repair.

Again above list is not complete, as they get only complete picture once they dismantle the frontal components including engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey rajswiftvdi,

Take the 4.15L add another 1.5L and buy a new swift, or a better car.

btw, a question for you: Why is the IDV just 4.15L?. It definitely should be much more. Or did the agent offer you a 'low' premium policy?
Mine was diesel swift and by adding 1.5L, will not fetch a new one onroad. Also if at all I want to buy another, I might go for MUV kind, which I need to shell out another 5L.

I was not particular about IDV or premium when I renew insurance. Now I taste the bitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Forget the math, it will most likely to be in favor of getting the car repaired. You have to ask yourself, having had a close shave, would you hit the highway with the repaired car? If it is meant for general city errands, then repairing is an option. But for highway, I would get myself a new/used car that has better safety equipment.

I would start afresh with a new/used car and also become a more cautious driver. I am not saying it was your fault, but always helps to be more defensive/cautious. I recently had a near disaster and I was completely shaken up. It has changed my driving style for good (I hope).
If I demand RC, they wont get a good 'scrape' buyer. Max they get might be 80K. If I dont want RC, buyer may pay 2L, since buyer can use to sell the vehicle.

Reliability of the vehicle is a question, which is what I am looking for in this forum.

I agree to your point that, we should be defensive and cautious while driving. But there are situations, when you cant just do anything, but simply sit inside and watch the guy coming and hitting you. TAT is 0-1 sec in such incidents, and mine was such one!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Exactly. If the owner takes the RC then the insurance company will be able to sell the vehicle as salvage/scrap/part by part basis. Else it will get repaired at a local workshop and go to tier-2/3 town.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The Initial Estimate of 3 lacs would go upto 4+ lacs when Actual work starts and ends....

So no point, Dont ever agree for repairs, since the structural damage done cannot be repaired to its prime. You will start getting all sorts of issues after the repair.

Insist on Total Loss and go ahead.
MASS also has the opinion that, it may go up once they start. Then customer has to pay. I clearly told them to have proper estimation before they do anything else and I dont pay anything else other than plastics and other depreciated parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Yes., seat belt is a big saviour and people do not realise that.
very true.

Thanks to all your wishes and support guys.

Now the question is, should I relax my RC book demand and go for total loss or let MASS do a proper estimation and if that come out to be more than 2L, insurance company may automatically has to agree for TL with accepting my RC demand.(any chance for later ?)
Attached Thumbnails
Help Please : Total Loss or Repair-img00138201104011132.jpg  

Old 28th April 2011, 11:08   #10
BHPian

Sorry about the accident buddy, hope you recover soon.

The damage to the vehicle looks real bad from the pic. If I were you, I would claim total loss. There is no point in repairing and keeping this vehicle.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Taking a look at the pic attached.
I think it is better off taking this as a total loss.
the repair work carried out will never match factory quality.
and even after repair there may be niggles which you will then have to live with.
If you really liked the swift, then you can use the 4.15 L and buy the new facelifted one.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:12   #12
BANNED

A bad shunt but looks like it can be repaired.

If I was you I would go Total Loss.

Also quite interesting to know the Insurance company can mend a TL vehicle and sell it. Is that legal?
Old 28th April 2011, 11:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the pictures, dont even think about repairs, its a Total loss. Take the money and buy a new one. if you have their first assessment report, tell them that you will goto IRDA since the insurance company is trying to make money out of road tax. Or better to avopid dispute let them process the total loss f&f and then demand the RC book back, you are entitled to it.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 11:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

The pic looks bad. Do not think of getting it repaired. There might be attachments to the car but be practical. Get rid of it and go for a new car.

Still not able to understand how you hit the steering wheel with seat belts on. Do makers put some play in the belts deliberately to as to stop a person gradually ?
As far as I remember the belts can be drawn slowly but pull it with a jerk and it locks.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:49   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The car, which seems to be completely wrecked will never really be the same again. Hence it is not worth keeping it. Better to go for a total loss settlement.

The Insurance Ombudsman is one person you can approach if dissatisfied with the Insurance company's solution. But you need documented evidence in writing - letters, emails etc.

If this fails, then go straight to consumer court - again you will need all the documentary evidence with you.

All this will take time and will involve a lot of effort so I would suggest that you try and negotiate with the Insurance company first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajswiftvdi View Post
Hi guys,

My 1 year 5 months old swift met with an accident, head on with a jeep guy who was overtaking a bus at a sharp curve. I survived with minor injuries on forehead and chest thanks to the seat belt(Should I say 1. How good the car would be after repair, I heard car may have several issues after such a repair, if so what would be like ? (tomorrow I may get a complete list of things needs to replaced or repaired, but I heard from surveyor that Apron, fender .. such things needs to be changed)

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks