Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 18:26   #1
Team-BHP Support

Cyclist falls because of his mistake; breaks windshield as vengeance!

So, my folks were out on a decent (weather-wise) saturday in Gurgaon. We stay in Sec 49, South City - 2 so occasionally, they go to the D-Block market (across the road from the Patio club) in the evenings for household needs.

On saturday, they reached that place at 1900; there was load shedding going on in the area so it was dark on the road. Just after my father pulled over and parked the car, a couple of guys (carpenters) came over and complained that because of him they fell down on the road. [Later on, dad guessed that they were probably too close to the car and noticed very late that dad had parked. And hence, fell.]

My father was puzzled and said he was sure he couldn't have caused it. Now, my dad is one of the most sedate and generous drivers on the road; his ever-accomodating nature on the road is quite something! And an argument or a confrontation is the last thing he likes (Gurgaon has mellowed him down to 0).

So, within a minute, this interaction was over and my parents left for the shopping arcade. They got back after an hour and started driving back.

Now, dad noticed a lot of noise at the back and got down to check it. What he finds is - the rear windshield is shattered, most likely by a hammer. The windshield is smashed and there are 2 huge dents on the rear hatch of the Zen.

It HAD to be those 2 guys; no other likely cause. Predictably, there were no eye-witnesses; the darkness on the road made it even more simple for the 2 guys. There was no point lodging a complaint; nor any sense getting the police involved. Dealing with the cops would be another circus.

So, all they could do and eventually did was drive back home. And that was that.

It being a sunday the next day, Windshield Experts was closed. Gurgaon being Gurgaon, they did not want to have a vulnerable car. So, they went to Competent Maruti and have given the car to be fixed.

Estimate for the rear-windshield : Rs. 4500/- (fully claimworthy from insurance)
Adhesive for the glass : don't know the amount (50-100% claimworthy).
Peace of mind : gone for a toss
Faith in humanity : well, that's mostly a joke considering the labour class in NCR.

NCR continues to amaze me.

But, I am glad it was just a broken windshield and nothing else. Everyone in my family loves car so this broke our heart; but some things are much simpler to fix by just paying money.

Lesson learnt : You could have done no wrong but end up paying because someone else has a pea-brain and all the sense in the arms and not the head.

Such is life!
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 18:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cyclist falls because of his mistake; breaks windshield as vengeance!

it very sad to hear hope the people get caught
but i think you have been taken for a ride the rear windshield is for 1200 bucks only
Old 30th May 2011, 18:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
(carpenters)

What he finds is - the rear windshield is shattered, most likely by a hammer.
Sad to hear about this incident, good that nothing else happened. It has to be them only, carpenters carry their tools usually with them and it contains at least a mallet. What to do, such morons exist in this world.

Spike
Old 30th May 2011, 18:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh god! This has more to do with the mentality of the labor class and also the divide between the labor class and the rest which we were talking about in our meet on Fri night.

Really sad to hear about the incident. Since its a MGA, may be they are quoting a high price comparatively.
Old 30th May 2011, 19:01   #5
Mik
BHPian

Shocking incident!

Quote:
Faith in humanity : well, that's mostly a joke considering the labour class in NCR.

NCR continues to amaze me.
Agree with you that specially in Gurgaon- humanity is not there at all.
Though i strongly disagree with "labour class" classification. In Gurgaon, from the guy in the Audi to the guy on the street - almost everyone has an inhuman streak.
Sample this:
Last year. Heavy rains- washed up roads. There was this huge puddle(rather pond) in the middle of the road. I was on the bike with my wife as pillion. A Ford guy was coming from the opposite side. There was just a little pathway on my side of the road to take the bike across safely. I flashed and started taking it. The Ford guy flashed back - accelerated and drenched us - and i swear i could see a smirk on his face.
And this is not a one off!! I face similar idiots everyday.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 19:16   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Oh god! This has more to do with the mentality of the labor class and also the divide between the labor class and the rest which we were talking about in our meet on Fri night.

Interesting .. Me thinks it has its roots in the politics of modern India dosed generously with jaundiced Marxist perspective. What with the politicians screeching oppression by the elite classes and "legitimizing" hooliganism by "lower" classes in the name of taking ones due share, or fighting for ones rights. These days, any healthy humility that might have existed in people is replaced by rabid hostility and aggression with a display of Goondaism, knowing that their local corporator or politician will organize a collective protest that will threaten to turn violent and out the heat on the administration.

Of course it is not "politically correct" to talk about the flaws in the "oppressed" and "weaker" sections of society - they are after all "victims" of a larger society are they not?

Sorry about the harassment the OP has faced. As members of "rich" motor owning elite, We all are likely to face similar collective hooliganism some day.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 30th May 2011 at 19:19.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 19:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Interesting .. Me thinks it has its roots in the politics of modern India dosed generously with jaundiced Marxist perspective.
Oh yes! Its mainly due to the politicians support that the people are taking to goondaism. But this mentality of being inferior and the "car owner is rich and has nothing to worry about" attitude might not be imbibed by the politicians. They will only support them when they tend to such atrocities.

@Nishad, any chances of getting the windshield fixed outside or is the job already done. If its almost thrice the money for MGA, then maybe worth getting fixed outside.
Old 30th May 2011, 20:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
it very sad to hear hope the people get caught
but i think you have been taken for a ride the rear windshield is for 1200 bucks only
I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
@Nishad, any chances of getting the windshield fixed outside or is the job already done. If its almost thrice the money for MGA, then maybe worth getting fixed outside.
This happened on a saturday. And a vulnerable car in Gurgaon is like the best invitation for someone to flick it (even from a 24x7 security society). Unfortunately, Windshield Experts is closed on sunday, so it had to be done at Maruti A.S.S. Folks took it on sunday morning. The money saved is not worth the mental trauma worrying about the car.

Anyway it is going to be covered by insurance so it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Agree with you that specially in Gurgaon- humanity is not there at all.
Though i strongly disagree with "labour class" classification. In Gurgaon, from the guy in the Audi to the guy on the street - almost everyone has an inhuman streak.
I was going to say the same; but didn't want it to be perceived as a "generalization" or anger because of what just happened.

I think a lot of people in NCR, especially Gurgaon-Faridabad-Noida-Ghaziabad got a lot of money very quickly.

So, they never really understood the value of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Sorry about the harassment the OP has faced. As members of "rich" motor owning elite, We all are likely to face similar collective hooliganism some day.

--Ragul
You'll be surprised to see what happens on the road. The owner of an Audi is just as likely to stoop to the level a cab driver would if any incident were to happen on the road.

There are a lot of "rich" people in Gurgaon but very few are service class, who are educated and have earned it. Most are just business men who cashed in on Gurgaon's growth.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th May 2011 at 20:24.
Old 30th May 2011, 22:05   #9
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The owner of an Audi is just as likely to stoop to the level a cab driver would if any incident were to happen on the road.
It doesn't matter whether a owner of an Audi or cyclist engages in senseless violence, all it tells is a story of a sadistic society where people have forgotten basic human values.

Last edited by dot : 30th May 2011 at 22:09.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 22:18   #10
BHPian

Sorry to hear about this.

A similar story ("broken front glass for no reason of his") happened to a colleague of mine today. He stays near KR Puram and our office is after Marathahalli on ORR. While crossing the underpass of Marathahalli bridge in the morning, he heard a thud and saw the front glass being broken. He got down and looked around to see a 10 - 12 year old boy dropping stones from the top of the bridge and enjoying the scene. The boy's excitement cost my friend around 8K.
Old 30th May 2011, 22:33   #11
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
It doesn't matter whether a owner of an Audi or cyclist engages in senseless violence, all it tells is a story of a sadistic society where people have forgotten basic human values.
Came back from office - almost banged into a cyclist because a high beamed scorpio idiot wont respond to my dipper. I feel like ranting some more.
This "GAON" has become as senseless as possible. Neighbours fight at a drop of a hat when they are not competing with each other over gawdy showing off. Empathy is absent. Nobody stops to help anybody and people get into fights just like that. The traditionally aggressive locals, drunk on cheap alcohol and money power, run riot. This is a funny place where you might not get a medicine shop open at night but all the "drinking islands" are open till late at night. Its impossible for a lady to travel alone. The locals can be extremely aggressive and disrespectful because they know that nothing will happen to them. All of this juxtaposed against swanky malls, theme restaurants and lots of expat friendly utilities.
Its a sad contrast.
Mik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 22:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Should have lodged a complaint with the police. Just shows the inhuman nature of our countrymen. We should not call ourselves civilized.
Old 30th May 2011, 23:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its shocking that it happened in sector D market, which is rather busy. And I shop there twice a week!

That said, thank your stars, they didn't use those tools against your dad. They are often in groups and their jhuggies are all nearby. Even then your dad would've had to cough up some cash or endure some violence. You can't fight these mobs.

That said, I spent 30 mins at the Galleria red light today, while one after another, Gurgaon's finest drove the wrong side - 4 lanes oncoming facing another 4 lanes. WTH stuff. I even got pissed, got out of the car and tried to stop people from adding to the mess but to no avail. Its hopeless!

PS: Rear Windscreen costs much lesser man. <2k for sure.
Old 30th May 2011, 23:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are a lot of "rich" people in Gurgaon but very few are service class, who are educated and have earned it. Most are just business men who cashed in on Gurgaon's growth.
Explains a lot actually.

One particular instance I will never forget in NCR is that of a young girl crossing the road. The "gentlemen" in the car instead of slowing down to let her pass pushed the pedal to floor and almost ran the car into her. All in the name of having some sick fun of making a Lady scram for safety.

Good that your dad is safe. No gain in stooping to low level as others. In fact your Dad is lucky. Things could have been a lot worse.
Old 31st May 2011, 00:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was going to say the same; but didn't want it to be perceived as a "generalization" or anger because of what just happened.

I think a lot of people in NCR, especially Gurgaon-Faridabad-Noida-Ghaziabad got a lot of money very quickly.

So, they never really understood the value of it.

You'll be surprised to see what happens on the road. The owner of an Audi is just as likely to stoop to the level a cab driver would if any incident were to happen on the road.

Hi libranof1987, Sad to hear about the incident.

"Welcome to Gurgaon" is all I can say with respect to this incident. You might be new to this city but my parents and I (to some extent) are familiar about everything. Since the people you encountered with are labour class we can’t comment much on them, after all they are poor, uneducated, deprived of basic facilities, exploited by the rich so doing such thing is not big deal for them at all. Even the rich or i should say very rich do such things. I see more Civic, Audi, Fortuner, and ANHC in Gurgaon than compared to Delhi. Property rates have multiplied many times and thus people's thinking has gone above humanity. A 150 sq yard plot which cost 5 lacs in 2000 now cost over 60-70lacs. There is no satisfaction at all. Being the resident of both Delhi/Gurgaon, I know the situation very well.

In fact we should not blame Gurgaon alone, the condition is similar across Delhi, Faridabad, Noida etc. did you tried contacting any policemen on beat duty there? Anyhow what I can suggest to you and your family is that be extra careful and move on.

PS – Thank god your parents didn’t take out ANHC that day.

Last edited by bluevolt : 31st May 2011 at 00:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks