Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:06   #1
BHPian

When are we going to learn lane driving?

2-3 days ago, I had the opportunity to click a pic which tells about a headache trigger I face almost every time I take my car out of parking.(I say out of parking because same thing happened even on driveways inside society compound n office building compounds.)

It was on the TIDEL Park crossing on OMR going towards Chennai, here you can take right towards ECR or make an u-turn. Always all the HMV by default steering extreme left to take a right n other vehicles even bikes follow the example like this Alto. He was in left most lane n then came cutting me in middle lane to go right! I don't understand why people cannot be in their lane according to where they are heading. These guys are just creating favourable conditions for traffic jams, accidents n of course causing traffic interruption which is crime but seems nobody cares about it.

Can someone please explain me also why HMV has take turns like this? I am sure it is not only like this in Chennai though I am sure that you can see that on every turn n road in Chennai.

That bus is pic was also going right BTW.
Attached Thumbnails
When are we going to learn lane driving?-imag0007.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2011, 14:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Two reasons for the same:

1) Mentality of the Indian drivers
2) No lane marking visible

In places where the lane markings are visible still the reason#1 takes over. Bigger the vehicle fiercer the reason#1 grows. Jungle law applies to all cities - whoever goes first (by whatever reason) is the king.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Two reasons for the same:

1) Mentality of the Indian drivers
2) No lane marking visible

In places where the lane markings are visible still the reason#1 takes over. Bigger the vehicle fiercer the reason#1 grows. Jungle law applies to all cities - whoever goes first (by whatever reason) is the king.
I don't understand where they want to go first...to Hell! everytime in city some car/vehicle overtakes me i mostly find them waiting on next traffic light. they just wait little more than i do. and i don't believe that they want to save some 5-10mins becasue they have to be somewhere on-time. Because, we are never on-time! we don't have any respect for anybody's time.

lane markings are not necessary, you want to go right stay on right, you want to go left stay on left, wanna go straight stay in middle. if there is no middle stay in right to go straight.

People tend to stop on crossing in all lanes no matter where they are going and blocks the way who has free felt turn or green for left. that can be seen anyday on Anna Salai, OMR on Thoriapakkam Crossing for example.

Last edited by Suess : 3rd August 2011 at 14:39.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Firstly the HMV cannot turn right being on the right most lane. They need that space to turn that vestibule towards right. So cant blame the HMV drivers. This junction needs an overpass to let the straight traffic through across the tidel.

Secondly we have lane discipline except that the lanes are not only parallel but also run zig-zag. Its upto you to pick a lane and use your ability to drive the way you want in that imaginary lane.

All said and done 60% of the users in this junction must be working out of one of the IT companies in this lane. Do you really think all these 60% bother about traffic rules. We educated ones fail to follow giving excuses. So cant blame the meager wagered HMV guys to worry about lanes unless the goverment does more to discipline traffic.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:33   #5
BHPian

I agree. Nowadays, I have also noticed a new trend among 2, 3 & 4 wheeler drivers, driving without the headlamps on at night.
I cannot make sense of why people would do that. I am talking about educated people, sometimes with kids in their cars. 2 wheelers zipping around without headlamps on at night!! I mean, have people gone MAD! Most of the population are refusing to obey traffic rules & treat the roads as their own personal properties.
I sometimes wonder if the BHAI GIRI attitude has crept in due to what is portrayed in the movies. Net net, I just cannot make sense of the lack of civic sense nowadays.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
Firstly the HMV cannot turn right being on the right most lane. They need that space to turn that vestibule towards right. So cant blame the HMV drivers.
Never driven a bus, but I don't think buses need to be on the left-most lane at this junction to be able to take a right-turn. Yes, maybe if they wanted to take a U-turn there - but definitely not for a right-turn. Atleast not for regular MTC buses. Vestibuled ones also should be able to do it, but giving them the benefit of the doubt, they should still be able to take the right atleast from the middle-lane (no need to go to extreme left).

Since I use this road daily, my take is that the buses are blatantly inconveniencing those that want to go straight, by blocking their way. And this stupidity is followed by other folks on bikes/cars/cycles etc.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd August 2011 at 14:58.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Firstly the HMV cannot turn right being on the right most lane. They need that space to turn that vestibule towards right. So cant blame the HMV drivers. This junction needs an overpass to let the straight traffic through across the tidel.

i agree with your other 2 points but this 1st one, i beg to differ. OMR at that junction is 6 lane and it turns into right onto a 4 lane road, so you have more than enough space to make any turn there and still be in your lane(except U-turn). so, no excuse for HMV, i think they do it here becasue, well, they do it everywhere(else). so, it's their right now.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so, no excuse for HMV, i think they do it here becasue, well, they do it everywhere(else). so, it's their right now.
Thats absolutely true. These govt busses never even bother for a signal. The worst place to witness gross violation is the Tambaram Kadaperi signal. Everyone will be waiting for a green light while the AC bus or the normal govt bus keeps going without any concern to others.

I have no sympathy for govt buses.

And the only way we can have smooth traffic here is by having a fly over.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

A lorry or bus can't take a U turn from the right lane on most of our roads, including toll highways, so they always attempt it from the middle or left most lane.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Gansan, the issue here is taking a "right-turn", not a U-turn. And it is perfectly possible for buses to take a right-turn here from the right lane.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
..... Vestibuled ones also should be able to do it, but giving them the benefit of the doubt, they should still be able to take the right atleast from the middle-lane (no need to go to extreme left).

....etc.
Actually, as you said there is enough space to make right/left turn. even vestibuled one shouldn't be having any problem.

it's the faulty trun technique they use(actually it's not HMV only even cars/bike etc. do the same). Instead of going straight till you reach to the point from where you can see the middle of the raod on which you want to turn, they start truning from their originating lane(evident from the pic above). that's the reason they need more sapce to make the turn. similar mistake is made by almost all vehicles even on small lanes in colonies(residential areas), that they come cutting into the opposite lane.

Last edited by Suess : 3rd August 2011 at 15:19.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess
similar mistake is made by almost all vehicles even on small lanes in colonies(residential areas), that they come cutting into the opposite lane.
True. By the time they take the turn, they are into the lane of opposite traffic, creating a mess.

BTW, while many of us do a mental division of the unmarked-road into "our" lane and "others" lane, all motorists should not be expected to do this. The road-maintaining agency should have markings on the road separating the lanes and if someone still makes a wrong turn, they should be pulled up.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Suess

i think the trouble starts even before that.

- first some decent guys uses the right most lane and positions his car to take the right turn
- Pea sized brain or brainless guy scowls at standing behind the guy in the right most lane and decides to use the second lane from the right and positions his car in front of the first car.
- Now slowly traffic starts building up in the last two lanes.
- Third moron feels why the heck he should wait for these two lanes to move and uses the third lane, slowly moves to the front of this waiting traffic and cuts them and parks them
- Other morons following our third guys just start blocking the third lane as well.

Personally its always the Auto walla or the cab drivers who create these new righ turn lanes everytime. Wish we could just throw them to the last with some tele power.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

One lame reason given by the MTC drivers for using the left most lane is, to let people get down right at the corner, as a lot of people take the bus to reach Tiruvanmiyur MRTS station.

But that's not the real reason, instead, it's a habbit that just refuses to go. These drivers don't have a proper training on driving on multi-laned roads. Instead, they're taught to move the bus to any visible gap on the road, without bothering about others who might be inconvenienced
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:45   #15
BHPian

That signal has the worst traffic violations known to humanity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks