Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 13:26   #1
BHPian

Some detour from Mysore- Bangalore highway SH17!

Hi

Last Sunday (6-Nov-11) on Mysore- Bangalore highway, there was a sudden Rasta Roko by a bunch of farmers in Channapatna who decided to vent their frustration about a low closing price for cocoon silk raw material. The net effect: I had to make a detour to return to Bangalore from Maddur where I had been for a temple visit. The detour route I am talking about is the one shown here (from GM):

Name:  Maddur-Kunigal-Bangalore.bmp
Views: 8401
Size:  802.7 KB

First, a drive back from Channapatna towards Mysore, till I got back to Maddur (waste of some 20+ km). Next, I remembered having seen a sign board saying Tumkur (right next to where the new Adigas restaurant is), and decided I would try that to get home. I had no idea of how far Tumkur would be from Maddur as the sign board said nothing about that. Anyway, I had no time to explore as it was already around 4 PM, and I just got going towards Tumkur.

The drive from Maddur to Kunigal (via Huliyurdurga) was just rotten (a distance of some 40 km) with lots of broken road sections, bad potholes, and crazed surfaces, especially when passing thru villages. Only the last 5 km or so before reaching Kunigal seemed decent enough. I would have continued till Tumkur but for the fact I just noticed an expressway ahead. A passerby told me this was the NH48 (Bangalore- Mangalore). I thanked my stars, got my i10 thru a rather narrow gate on the approach ramp, and was soon air borne (in contrast to the drive from Maddur) towards Nelamangala where the NH48 cuts NH4 from Tumkur. The NH48 (at least from Kunigal) is a great 4- lane expressway, but toll collection has not yet begun- it was a free trial run as displayed at the toll plaza near Nelamangala.

Beware of unmarked speed breakers on most approach ramps- they are rarely painted nor are any road signs ahead of them! My people inside had a shock when I suddenly slammed the brake on noticing one rather late as I was getting onto the NH4.

NH4 was not bad, though not as fast as the new NH48, and there was a nominal toll of Rs. 15/-. Soon descended the elevated expressway at Peenya, took the ORR thru Nayandahalli and reached Banashankari where I had started from.

I had thus done a total of 160 km (including the 20+ km from Channapatna to Maddur), amounting to more than double the distance (Maddur- Bangalore is about 75+ km) it would have actually taken. I later read in the papers that the Rasta Roko had been on for nearly 10 hrs!

Bye
DrVjy
Old 8th November 2011, 13:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Some detour from Mysore- Bangalore highway SH17!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVjy View Post
The drive from Maddur to Kunigal (via Huliyurdurga) was just rotten (a distance of some 40 km) with lots of broken road sections, bad potholes, and crazed surfaces, especially when passing thru villages.
Bad roads around Huliyurdurga is know thing. The other option is instead of going to Kunigal, you can come back to Magadi and return via Magadi road.

Bangalore-Mysore Rd to Bengaluru, Karnataka - Google Maps

But may be the Kunigal option would be better as you get 4L.

Another option is instead of taking the Kunigal route, go to Malavalli from Maddur and return via Kanakpura road.
Old 8th November 2011, 13:47   #3
BHPian

We had faced a similar 'rasta roko' at Ramanagaram some months back (it was mulbery farmers then; related issues I guess.)

Some helpful villagers asked us to enter the Ramanagaram village, negotiate a lot of small choked streets, go through fields, and enter Bangalore-Mysore road at Bidadi. We did cross Nityananda ashram on the way.
Old 8th November 2011, 14:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bad roads around Huliyurdurga is know thing. The other option is instead of going to Kunigal, you can come back to Magadi and return via Magadi road.

Bangalore-Mysore Rd to Bengaluru, Karnataka - Google Maps

Another option is instead of taking the Kunigal route, go to Malavalli from Maddur and return via Kanakpura road.
Thanks, Ampere. I will keep the Magadi option in mind for an emergency detour. Perhaps I should have tried the Malavalli route that day- may have not been so bad as the one I did. Ultimately of course the right choice depends on the (hopefully, known) road condition at the time we need it.
Old 8th November 2011, 14:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVjy View Post
Thanks, Ampere. I will keep the Magadi option in mind for an emergency detour. Perhaps I should have tried the Malavalli route that day- may have not been so bad as the one I did. Ultimately of course the right choice depends on the (hopefully, known) road condition at the time we need it.
Had taken the exact route, that I mentioned in my previous post. The problem is crossing Magadi; as roads are bad.
Huliyurdurga-Magadi road also goes through some beautiful stretches of forests albeit in some small distances.
The road condition is pretty decent but for the occasional pothole.
Magadi road status is anyway known to all.

This is all I had updated some time back:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2315602
Old 8th November 2011, 14:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

The other option would be to take the kanakpura road. A detour from Channapatna goes towards kanakpura road. Not sure about the condition of this road though.
Old 8th November 2011, 16:23   #7
BHPian

Funny, the same thing happened to us about a few weeks ago, when there was a road roko thing going on on the same Bangalore-Mysore highway...wonder if this is becoming a common way on this road, to make yourself heard...
Old 8th November 2011, 19:41   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
The other option would be to take the kanakpura road. A detour from Channapatna goes towards kanakpura road. Not sure about the condition of this road though.

LOL I faced a rasta roko on NH209 this sunday at Kollegal. Took the by-lanes to get out.

--Ragul
Old 9th November 2011, 09:37   #9
BHPian

A deviation from Maddur to Kanakpura road and then to Bangalore would have been a good option, don't have much information about the roads from Maddur to Kanakapura but Kanakpura to Bangalore is a breeze. Considering you were staying in Banashankari, this would have been a better option.
Old 9th November 2011, 15:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
The roads are ok, I had travelled this route a few months back. But the roads are narrow and have only 2 lanes. Since the lanes are limited, the progress is slowIt is around 130 kms from maddur to bangalore by this route.
Old 9th November 2011, 16:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you stay in north Bangalore, via Kunigal is preferable.
If you stay in south Bangalore, Kanakapura is better.
Either roads are congested with metro constructions. And from either roads you can get on to NICE road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks