Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 18:53   #1
BHPian

New Scam in Gurgaon

I came across a new scam by a cop in Gurgaon. I was coming from the Maruti factory along Sec 17-18 road towards NH8. If you know the road, it is a 4 lane road without the divider. I was on the right lane.

Suddenly near the IFFCO Colony a cop in Khaki came over from the opposite side and said something to the car (cab) in front. Then he motioned me to stop as well (by this time the light had turned green). He came over and said, "Aap bahut furti say belt laga liye.." (You put the belt on very quickly).

This was so ludicrous (I am particular about seat belt, was so even before it became compulsory) that I responded very rudely. He was taken aback, mumbled something like "maine phir thik se dekh nahi paya" and moved on to the next prey.

100 feet ahead I got stuck in the red light again and in my RVM I saw him pocket some money from a Verna and move over to a jeep on the opposite side belonging to the SHO. That is right, he was not a traffic cop but probably on guard duty looking to pull a quick con.

So Gurgaon folks beware.

Mods please merge with something else if you feel this does not merit a separate thread.

Last edited by chinkara : 8th February 2012 at 18:56.
chinkara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 19:19   #2
BHPian

Re: New Scam in Gurgaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
I came across a new scam by a cop in Gurgaon. I was coming from the Maruti factory along Sec 17-18 road towards NH8. If you know the road, it is a 4 lane road without the divider. I was on the right lane.

Suddenly near the IFFCO Colony a cop in Khaki came over from the opposite side and said something to the car (cab) in front. Then he motioned me to stop as well (by this time the light had turned green). He came over and said, "Aap bahut furti say belt laga liye.." (You put the belt on very quickly).

This was so ludicrous (I am particular about seat belt, was so even before it became compulsory) that I responded very rudely. He was taken aback, mumbled something like "maine phir thik se dekh nahi paya" and moved on to the next prey.

100 feet ahead I got stuck in the red light again and in my RVM I saw him pocket some money from a Verna and move over to a jeep on the opposite side belonging to the SHO. That is right, he was not a traffic cop but probably on guard duty looking to pull a quick con.

So Gurgaon folks beware.

Mods please merge with something else if you feel this does not merit a separate thread.

Well, I am not surprised, cos this has been happening in Delhi for quite sometime now. I was once pulled over by a cop who thought I was speeding(which I wasnt, I am a sedate drive, read Palio Stile 1.1 ).

He wasnt even a traffic cop and wanted to fine me for the same, to cut a long story short, I asked him in the choicest words to take a hike.

The problem is some of us give in to such scams and end up paying these morons.
Old 8th February 2012, 20:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the heads-up.

But I'm surprised that someone could fall for this as it's been ages since seatbelts have been compulsory in Delhi/NCR. Almost everyone instinctively wears seatbelts there.

So, being conned under the pretext of over-speeding, no seatbelts.. what else?
Old 8th February 2012, 20:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, well. The South is supposedly conservative, but from what you mentioned as a 'scam', the scamsters up north have a lot to learn from the guys here in Chennai / TN. Atleast in the OP's case, it was a cop. In Chennai and TN we have a new breed of fake cops who are minting money. Sample these 2 instances from the last few days :

1) Chennai : A young couple are in their car, parked in some cosy corner, when a guy comes and knocks on the window, says he is a cop (not in uniform) and threatens to book them for immoral behaviour. Worried about their reputation, they pay up some 45K or 65K from the ATM. Turns out he is no cop at all.

2) Coimbatore : This guy threatens a road-side vendor, takes money from him, showing a police-ID card, which turns out to be fake. Caught when the vendor has doubts and reports him to the cops (the actual ones ie).
Old 8th February 2012, 21:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, well. The South is supposedly conservative, but from what you mentioned as a 'scam', the scamsters up north have a lot to learn from the guys here in Chennai / TN. Atleast in the OP's case, it was a cop. In Chennai and TN we have a new breed of fake cops who are minting money. Sample these 2 instances from the last few days :

1) Chennai : A young couple are in their car, parked in some cosy corner, when a guy comes and knocks on the window, says he is a cop (not in uniform) and threatens to book them for immoral behaviour. Worried about their reputation, they pay up some 45K or 65K from the ATM. Turns out he is no cop at all.

2) Coimbatore : This guy threatens a road-side vendor, takes money from him, showing a police-ID card, which turns out to be fake. Caught when the vendor has doubts and reports him to the cops (the actual ones ie).
Fraudsters dressing as cops is common all over India. What we have over here is a cop indulging in fraud. Not bullying, taking money from lawbreakers, but outright fraud.

And a cop who had no jurisdiction doing so. My experience with Gurgaon police so far (traffic police) has been quite good / pleasant so far. So it was a bit of a shock.
Old 8th February 2012, 22:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
I came across a new scam by a cop in Gurgaon. I was coming from the Maruti factory along Sec 17-18 road towards NH8.
Aaargh !! New Scams coming up daily. There was a recent scam in Mumbai about opening the boot for checking. Now this.

Quick question - Was the person who was asking you the fine, in a police uniform ?
I am sure if we reply harsh to a policeman, even if we are right, he will ensure we are in deep trouble.
Old 8th February 2012, 22:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Aaargh !! New Scams coming up daily. There was a recent scam in Mumbai about opening the boot for checking. Now this.

Quick question - Was the person who was asking you the fine, in a police uniform ?
I am sure if we reply harsh to a policeman, even if we are right, he will ensure we are in deep trouble.
It was a policeman with a uniform (khaki), nametag and all (sadly I couldn't read the name) and went into the jeep of the SHO.
I didn't abuse him or anything, but was just a little forceful in my reply. You can say in 6 years in Delhi you learn a bit about how to give a hint of being "connected" without having to lie explicitly.
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 23:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is everyday's story in NCR.

One similar thing which I usually see happening frequently is that the Beat constables also stop people who don't wear seat belts and demand bribe else they ask to deposit RC/DL.

To avoid these incidents always follow traffic rules, keep the required documents and drive safe.
Old 9th February 2012, 00:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

One similar thing which I usually see happening frequently is that the Beat constables also stop people who don't wear seat belts and demand bribe else they ask to deposit RC/DL.

To avoid these incidents always follow traffic rules, keep the required documents and drive safe.
But here there was no infringement of rules!
Old 9th February 2012, 02:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

I do not know if my information is correct or not, but I think you can always tell a cop to give you the challan receipt first (mandatory by law) and tell him that you will fight it in court (mostly tends to ward them off).

Are they even allowed to keep our RC or DL?
Old 9th February 2012, 02:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
I do not know if my information is correct or not, but I think you can always tell a cop to give you the challan receipt first (mandatory by law) and tell him that you will fight it in court (mostly tends to ward them off).

Are they even allowed to keep our RC or DL?
In one particular case a friend of mine became a little stubborn with these guys and left his DL + RC with them - to be collected from court the next day. The next day he did received his both documents, but after being punched a hole in them for the offense ...I was taken aback by this, is this really true that we are getting marked on DL's etc for breaking a red light etc ?
Old 9th February 2012, 03:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
In one particular case a friend of mine became a little stubborn with these guys and left his DL + RC with them - to be collected from court the next day. The next day he did received his both documents, but after being punched a hole in them for the offense ...I was taken aback by this, is this really true that we are getting marked on DL's etc for breaking a red light etc ?
I am surprised too.
The what can one do in case a cop is adamant about taking a bribe?
What if he challans you for something you really did not do?
Old 9th February 2012, 11:49   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

How is this a scam?

Assuming the guy is in fact a legitimate cop, all he did was apprehend the Verna guy for not wearing a seatbelt. The subsequent exchange of money, while reprehensible, is hardly new in this country.

He approached you thinking you didn't have a seatbelt on and when you pointed out that you did, moved on without troubling you further. You could probably give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
How is this a scam?

Assuming the guy is in fact a legitimate cop, all he did was apprehend the Verna guy for not wearing a seatbelt. The subsequent exchange of money, while reprehensible, is hardly new in this country.

He approached you thinking you didn't have a seatbelt on and when you pointed out that you did, moved on without troubling you further. You could probably give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
+1 to Noopster, though that does'nt take away the fact that the Policeman was not there to enforce the law but probably just to make a quick buck.

However there are plenty of examples of the same practice happening all over the country, where "enterprising" cops will try and make a quick buck taking the advantage of some rule / particular geography.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:33   #15
BHPian

Always ask for the cops billa number(badge) and his thana (station) when in doubt. Next ask for a genuine challan for any offense this move normally stumps the fakes.
I had turned out of the New Delhi station towards Minto road, heading to Connaught place. Hadn't done that route for ages and so when a cop pulled me over I was surprised. He said that it was a no entry and said that the fine would be a stiff 1000 bucks.
I stayed calm and polite and apologised for the wrong turn but also pointed out the lack of any signage pointing out the same. Pretending to be totally naive I also handed over my license sighing heavily. In sotto voice I muttered that I should be punished for my mistake.
The two cops also in the making a case for their stiff fine, thrust a Hindi newspaper clipping in which the story mentioned that stiff fines would be levied. And so sighing even more I insisted that they quickly fine me. Being total thugs my move confused them, they scratched their heads and even more unmentionable parts for a while and then came back.
They said that they had reduced the fine to jumping a red light and gave me a challan for a hundred Rupees.

I paid and drove away. Moral of the story is that don't make plea bargains or negotiate, that is what these two were waiting for. And since I seemed to have all day for them, they didn't make a single penny. The hundred will go to the Govt. coffers, which suits me fine.

Warm Regards,

Chaunfa
chaunfa is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks