Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Quality of Roads being mapped in Tamil Nadu with the help of Scorpios that cost 1.5cr

Yes, you read the title correctly! the quality of roads are going to measured using a sophisticated devices mounted in and around a scorpio. The scorpio costs 1.5 crores each and two such scorpios has been procured. State of art- hitech scorpios, which I believe is the first of its kind in our country.

Quote:
இந்த நவீன காரின் முன்புறம், மூன்று கேமராக்கள்; பின்புறம், "லேசர் கிராக் மெஷர்மென்ட் சிஸ்டம்' பொருத்தப்பட்டிருக்கும்.
இதன் மூலம், "கார்' செல்லும் போதே, சாலை படம் பிடிக்கப்பட்டு, சாலையில் உள்ள சேதம் குறித்த தகவல், கணினியில் பதிவாகும்."காரின்' மேல் பொருத்தப்பட்டிருக்கும் கேமரா, சாலையின் அளவை, 180 டிகிரி கோணத்தில் படம் பிடிக்கும். இருக்கைக்கு அடியில், அதிர்வுகளை கண்டறியும் கருவி பொருத்தப்பட்டுள்ளது. இதன் மூலம், வாகனத்திற்கும், சாலைக்கும் உள்ள இடைவெளியை கண்டறிவதுடன், சாலையின் சேதாரத்தின் அளவும் தெரிந்து விடும்.
இவை அனைத்தையும், ஜி.பி.எஸ்., கருவி உதவியுடன் கணினியில் பதிவு செய்து, தகவல் தொகுப்பு உருவாக்கப்படும். இந்த தகவல் தொகுப்பை அடிப்படையாகக் கொண்டு, நெடுஞ்சாலைத் துறை அதிகாரிகள், சாலையில் உள்ள பாதிப்புக்கு ஏற்ப சீரமைக்க முடியும்
Translated:
The car is equipped with cameras on the top which photograph the roads at 180° and have laser graphic measurement devices at the back to map the roads in real time. Inside the car, accelerometers and vibration measurement devices will constantly measure the undulations in the car. Everything is logged into an onboard computer and is monitored through GPS in real-time. Based on this info, then highways dept. would be able to analyse the damage of a particular road and prepare repair or new laying plans. They have planned to cover 20000kms per year, and in three years should cover the total 61000kms of road in tamilnadu. A 3year contract has been awarded to a company from newzealand "RomDas" - Road measurement and Data management systems.

Good to see some scientific methods being applied to prepare and improve the quality of roads. I hope in the same way they do something to train the drivers and also the licence tests stricter and harder i.e. scientifically better!

http://www.dinamalar.com/News_Detail.asp?Id=410855

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 22nd February 2012 at 04:59.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Quality of Roads being mapped in Tamilnadu with the help of scorpios that costs 1

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2012 at 14:24.
lancersfx is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quality of Roads being mapped in Tamilnadu with the help of scorpios that costs 1

This is good news, finally the governments are waking up to building good roads all around. Hopefully in future we would have wide, smooth and safe roads all around the country, and can do BLR-hometown faster then train and cheaper then flight.

Is this being done only in TN or other states as well, if its an initiative by NHAI then they should be doing it cross country?
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think whatever the equipment if the politicians have their say the roads and contracts will remain the same. These are the money spinners for all involved. This can be nothing but hog wash and something like a news item for public consumption. If the roads were properly laid in the first place this 1.5 cr Scorp would be redundant.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
If the roads were properly laid in the first place this 1.5 cr Scorp would be redundant.
+1
Exactly my point. After awarding contracts, if the govt does a proper check on the roads before releasing funds to the contract. This 1.5cr Scorpio will never be needed.

My feeling is, this is a ploy of the current govt to make-up some more cases against the previous govt. This way, they can poor the roads are sub-standard quality and they can issue road relaying contract in fresh, with fresh kickbacks for themselves.

Old 22nd February 2012, 13:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

The Scorpio is the perfect car to send those accelerometers into a tizzy considering how unstable it is

On a more serious note, its a good initiative but hopefully it will actually happen unlike other things of this sort started by the government which are never completed.
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good move! I am sure if they do this on the roads of Bangalore, the equipment itself will break!!
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
This is good news, finally the governments are waking up to building good roads all around. Hopefully in future we would have wide, smooth and safe roads all around the country, and can do BLR-hometown faster then train and cheaper then flight.
Indeed a good news! No doubts. I wish the whole country emulates such technology.

Quote:
Is this being done only in TN or other states as well, if its an initiative by NHAI then they should be doing it cross country?
This is done by TN-state highways dept. not NHAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
+1
Exactly my point. After awarding contracts, if the govt does a proper check on the roads before releasing funds to the contract. This 1.5cr Scorpio will never be needed.

My feeling is, this is a ploy of the current govt to make-up some more cases against the previous govt. This way, they can poor the roads are sub-standard quality and they can issue road relaying contract in fresh, with fresh kickbacks for themselves.

Oh, come on guys, lets wait and see, let us not be pessimistic even before they do something. Moreover, even countries like Germany, have such vehicles to check their road conditions. Does this mean, they dont have good roads? No matter how good a road be, they need to be checked constantly, so as to maintain the standards. So, I see this scorpio will still have a lot to do even after the complete road mapping is done.

It would be great, to have some pics of this car on work, TBHPians in tiruvallur/tambaram and chennai around will be able to spot this vehicle. Atleast they can keep updating here about the progress of this vehicle.

My doubts are, why did they specifically choose a scorpio over any other vehicle? why not a gypsy or a MM540 or someother jeep? Is scorpio so stable that a vibration sensor would be able to pick up proper road based vibrations or (pun intended, no harm to scorpio owners! Gen. Guderian saab, dont court martial me!!) is the scorpio's suspension so bad that every undulation filters through which can be easily measured?
Old 26th March 2012, 14:58   #9
BHPian

Re: Quality of Roads being mapped in Tamil Nadu with the help of Scorpios that cost 1

Lets look at the positives. The government is atleast thinking of getting the checks done and then maybe start working on it.

A thing to note is that they will cover 20000 kms in a year, What if they find 10000 kms roads not good. Would they get them repaired?
Old 26th March 2012, 15:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quality of Roads being mapped in Tamil Nadu with the help of Scorpios that cost 1

What kind of roads do they want at the end of this test? Do you really require a device like that for the kind of roads that we need?

I had heard that long long time ago, the TN govt had ordered all the culverts in most of the state to be redone just like that. For development (you know of what )
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
What kind of roads do they want at the end of this test? Do you really require a device like that for the kind of roads that we need?

I had heard that long long time ago, the TN govt had ordered all the culverts in most of the state to be redone just like that. For development (you know of what )
As far as my understanding goes, I guess they are trying to map the surface undulations and road quality both on the top surface and the inner levels. This would help them to do the following:
1. Plan to reconstruct/patch the roads which needs immediate attention
2. The level of patch work or recontruction can be efficiently planned
3. Usage of materials can be pre calculated - reduce transports, usage and wastage costs
4. Device a long term plan and to check the quality of work done by private contractors once after a road is laid.(mostly they cheat by finishing just the top surface and below it is only mud!)
5. Accurate measurement of road width and kms of roads can be digitalized! better than googlemaps.

*Conditions apply!! - All the points have been assumed if the work is carried out under IDEAL conditions
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:25   #12
BHPian

OT,
My grandfather used to tell me that roads done during Portuguese rule in Goa are still in good condition while roads made couple of years ago have washed away. During those days, the supervisor used to take two stones(used as the road base) and bang them against each other. If one of them cracked, he rejected the entire lot. Compare that to the quality of material used today.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Good piece of news, however, if the roads are maintained at regular periods then you dont require to spend a tax payers money on some fancy equipments.

On a lighter note if they drive that Scorpio in Karnataka, the accelerometer might go kaput, as it will gyrate so much
Old 2nd April 2012, 22:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Good piece of news, however, if the roads are maintained at regular periods then you dont require to spend a tax payers money on some fancy equipments.

On a lighter note if they drive that Scorpio in Karnataka, the accelerometer might go kaput, as it will gyrate so much
Pun intended! No need to drive anywhere! just over a speed breaker, then the device will show - "you have landed in moon and back."

On the other hand, such fancy equipments becomes a part of technological advancement, and in order to keep up growing needs and demanding developments. so, I am not against seeing these new technologies being used as a part of testing and measurement. why should we underestimate the use of technology, when we used to measure the quality by banging two stones against each other, this technology would give a more indepth, more accurate analysis of the problem.
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Pun intended! No need to drive anywhere! just over a speed breaker, then the device will show - "you have landed in moon and back."

On the other hand, such fancy equipments becomes a part of technological advancement, and in order to keep up growing needs and demanding developments. so, I am not against seeing these new technologies being used as a part of testing and measurement. why should we underestimate the use of technology, when we used to measure the quality by banging two stones against each other, this technology would give a more indepth, more accurate analysis of the problem.
Definately, but my point was would it have been required in the first place, if we had spent those 1.5cr over a period to regularly maintain the roads. You should look at the supposedly NICE road in Blore which isnt nice anymore, though you need to pay a heft toll of 65 for 35 odd kms.

I am not against technology but it should be used wisely not just if its there it should be used.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks