Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 11:23   #1
BHPian

eChallan to be launched by June 2012 in Delhi

The Delhi Traffic Police is going to implement the e-challan system by June 2012. They will keep all the history of the past violations, which will be displayed after entering a vehicle's details in their GPS enabled handheld device. The more the past violations, the steeper the fine needs to be paid. Payment of the challan can also be done using credit / debit cards.

If this is implemented properly by the cops then I am sure this will be the TURNING POINT in the driving sense at Delhi roads.

Quote:

It is expected that e-challan system should be in place in the city by June 2012. With this history of every vehicle and driver would be at the tip of prosecuting officer. This would go a long way in improving traffic management as people would be more careful.

- Satyendra Garg, Joint CP Traffic
Source: Facebook Page, Delhi Traffic Police
eChallan to be launched by June 2012 in Delhi-echallan1.jpg

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 15th April 2012 at 11:31.
Irish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 16:48   #2
BHPian

Re: eChallan to be launched by June 2012 in Delhi

Irish,

Agree to your Point of View (POV) but what is the guarantee that this freedom won't be mishandled by the people in uniform.

As I regularly commute between Delhi and Gurgaon, on a number of occasions, I have seen Traffic cops in Dwarka standing with barricades, they stop bikers predominantly and once stopped they manage to extract some minimum amount even if the person is carrying proper documents.

The way i see this "e-challan" thing is another big level scam waiting to happen.

I hope it does help improving the traffic sense in Delhi. But, if we go by history, love/affection/positive punishment is a better source of improvement in people's mentality than capital punishment.

Cheers

Varun
Old 16th April 2012, 11:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Agree to your Point of View (POV) but what is the guarantee that this freedom won't be mishandled by the people in uniform
Isn't a lot already mishandled by the people in uniform? What kind of guarantee can one come up with when launching any initiative.

Quote:
As I regularly commute between Delhi and Gurgaon, on a number of occasions, I have seen Traffic cops in Dwarka standing with barricades, they stop bikers predominantly and once stopped they manage to extract some minimum amount even if the person is carrying proper documents
If I'm carrying all the documents then I wouldn't pay a single penny to anybody in uniform. However, if someone extorts money out of me, be it someone in uniform or otherwise then there isn't much that I can do, can I? Well if you can think of something (like complaining somewhere) then the same advice should be given to those bikers.

Quote:
The way i see this "e-challan" thing is another big level scam waiting to happen.
Isn't every new initiative a 'scam waiting to happen' these days? The pessimism on some threads is incredible.

Coming back to e-challan, Mr. Satyendra Garg boasts of rise in statistics when it comes to challaning offenders, prosecuting vehicle owners etc. (including VIPs and police personnel vehicles), giving people like you and me the right to photograph any policeman riding without helmet (or other violations) and ensuring that he's booked.

Unless somebody tells me that its a bad thing or the statistics aren't right, I say we welcome such technological advancements.

PS: Corruption is only as deep as the briber's pockets.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
The Delhi Traffic Police is going to implement the e-challan system by June 2012. They will keep all the history of the past violations, which will be displayed after entering a vehicle's details in their GPS enabled handheld device. The more the past violations, the steeper the fine needs to be paid. Payment of the challan can also be done using credit / debit cards.

If this is implemented properly by the cops then I am sure this will be the TURNING POINT in the driving sense at Delhi roads.

Irish
Speaking from personal experience, I was stopped on the outer circle of CP, just left off the Minto Bridge crossing yesterday. The offense - jumping a red-light when making a left turn (I thought it was a free-turn , as there was no sign saying otherwise).

The cop had this credit card reader size device which , into he entered all the details , handed me the print-out and I paid the fine.

What impressed me about all-this was that the cop, was fully informed about the potential of this system to discourage bad driving. I asked him if they would be using this to record all offenses - including dangerous driving - and he said yes. Not only that, he went on to say, that the system would make it possible to award points based on offenses, and the moment a certain points level is reached, the DTP can advise the RTO to withdraw/suspend driving privileges.

Now, if only, the Indian insurance companies would take into account the said driver's points when calculating the insurance premium (via a real-time some integration with the RTO), it would be a much awaited (and wanted) double whammy!
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Speaking from personal experience, I was stopped on the outer circle of CP, just left off the Minto Bridge crossing yesterday. The offense - jumping a red-light when making a left turn (I thought it was a free-turn , as there was no sign saying otherwise).

The cop had this credit card reader size device which , into he entered all the details , handed me the print-out and I paid the fine.

What impressed me about all-this was that the cop, was fully informed about the potential of this system to discourage bad driving. I asked him if they would be using this to record all offenses - including dangerous driving - and he said yes. Not only that, he went on to say, that the system would make it possible to award points based on offenses, and the moment a certain points level is reached, the DTP can advise the RTO to withdraw/suspend driving privileges.

Now, if only, the Indian insurance companies would take into account the said driver's points when calculating the insurance premium (via a real-time some integration with the RTO), it would be a much awaited (and wanted) double whammy!
You seem to be the first one reporting the e-challan here in TBHP.

BTW Minto Bridge and Rivoli (PVR Rivoli) are their FAVORITE points, please do keep this in mind while taking left from outer circle.

We just can hope that Traffic Police and RTOs (all over India) work properly and in sync with each other than there is a possibility of seeing a change in the drivers.

BTW please take care in future while driving.

Cheers!
Irish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks