Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 23:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Extorted by Chennai cops for no fault of mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheekkunder View Post
I am just waiting to buy a GoPro or Contour camera, so that whenever i ride and anything like this happens, I can record every damn thing. (Frustrated Guy)
Do such cameras Swivel ? If so, we can simply point them towards the driver/passenger window discretely while it does its job.

Have a look at this thread.

Sorry for going a bit OT.
Old 1st May 2012, 23:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Do such cameras Swivel ? If so, we can simply point them towards the driver/passenger window discretely while it does its job.

Have a look at this thread.

Sorry for going a bit OT.
Its better to have something than nothing.
I tour a lot on my motorcycle. I have few friends who uses Contour. I have even seen them talking to cops with their helmet on and the camera attached on the right side. Cops never noticed thing. He showed the papers and stuff and he was left!
Old 1st May 2012, 23:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate incident.

In Chennai, I am seeing lot of patrolling during night. I even see some cops around my locality too during night hours. I have encountered them multiple times at midnight and they never gave any trouble to me. On the contrary, you incident is making me to think that they might be a possibility that the cops you encountered may not be real cops.
Old 1st May 2012, 23:56   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Really? I believe if this logic holds true with cops as per their salary then laborers, masons, beggars and other BPL population should be fine to go to any extent including murder, robbery, loot whenever they see any opportunity and we should sympathize with them.

Higher the position of any cop, higher is their salary and higher the money they make from corruption, of course it doesn't hold true for all for but for more than not.
Sir,

You might have misunderstood my post.

I did say that my blood boils, and it still does. They have no business looting people just because they'd like to live a higher standard of life. It's never justified.

I did say that it drives them to do such things. And when they have certain powers, they don't think twice. It clearly is misuse of power here. I mean, not everyone is perfect. Not everyone can handle power responsibly. They are certainly in the wrong profession, even if they might have been forced to do it. Simply because the uniform they wear gives them this feeling of invincibility and it the power of holding authority gets to their head.

But make no mistake. I'm in no way siding with them. What they are doing is wrong.

If you do read on, you'd realize that I've even suggested methods which one may employ to catch the defaulting officers.

I'd also suggested (between the lines) that the govt. ought to not only pay them a better packet, but also treat them better and give them formal and effective training and basic education. That said, one can never change another's perspectives and views on how he'd prefer to run his life.

I request you to avoid dissecting post/quoting out of context and just read the rest of it as it is, to understand it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st May 2012 at 23:59.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:02   #50
BHPian

Most of the traffic cops that I've met in Chennai are low-lives. They stand under the shade of a tree / building and go around the motor-bikes that wait for the signal to turn green and start dialogues that end up in a bribe. In real-life there is nothing much one could have done in the situation you were in; but if you've all the time and family / friends' support to pursue this matter, you may try:
1. posting this incident in Chennai Cops' FB page
2. talking to some news papers / magazines
3. file a complaint with the police (see the irony?)
If some TV channels' folks can do a sting operation (that you can entice them to do), you can get some sleep.
I know, bro, it's not the money but the way you were extorted that hurts - right?
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:06   #51
BHPian

They cannot be fake cops, else the OP would have probably lost his car, wallet & mobile as well. These were indeed lowly criminals in uniform.
I'm sure most of us have been extorted by cops at some point for no fault of ours, not sure what can be done to curb this menace?
To me it looks like there is no light at the end of the tunnel given the corruption levels today but I hope am wrong.
Old 8th May 2012, 13:47   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
One bunch of cops caught me at nearly 3 km from my house.
Again, where did this happen? It might help knowing the location so that others can be careful when passing through the said location late at night.

It is imperative that this needs to be reported at the local police station. The station must be aware of this incident so that --

1. In case, it was a case of somebody duping as a cop, the station is aware of it and will take action appropriately.
2. If indeed, it was a genuine cop pulling off the stunt, you may have a chance to identify him and lodge a complaint (this will be a bit unpleasant, but you will atleast have a satisfaction of doing the right thing).

I have lived in Chennai all my life and have so far not encountered such a brazen act of cop corruption. This is shocking!

- Vijay
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Gurus, please pardon me for saying this. From my personal experience I have felt very bad for the absence of laws in India.
I stay in Chennai and was returning late from my friends house at around 2:30 am.( No partying, I was playing Smack down on PS2) I was not under the influence of alcohol or any other intoxicant.
One bunch of cops caught me at nearly 3 km from my house. I showed him all the papers, everything valid. He told me to blow on his face to check if i am intoxicated. I blew on his face and he confirmed that i was not intoxicated.

He checked the headlights, number plates, and everything was fine. Finally he could not find any fault in me. He showed me an orange packet and told me that there are drugs in this packet. Also mentioned that the drugs were caught from guys near LOYOLA COLLEGE ( Chennaites would be knowing well ). He threatened me saying that I will report in the police station that I got the drugs from your car. I was Shocked. My friend was with me and he freaked out. The constable along with the Inspector said " they are IT guys, have a lot of money, this is no big case for them ".

Finally I had to pay him 500 rupees for no fault of mine. This is the way how cops can get cash from innocent people like us. I whole agree that this was an incident where i should have not paid a single penny, but I was helpless. Have faced bad times with them and I feel they are a nuisance to good society than being of some help.

On the other hand I have seen good cops do their duty. But some cops are like the cop in Wanted movie ( Tamil pokiri movie ).

I am not sure how I didn't see this thread before. Exact same scenario happened with me and a lady friend at about the same time, 2am near the Andheri flyover in Mumbai a couple of years back. It was around the time a police goon was caught raping a college student in Marine drive. When the pandu said he would plant drugs in my car, my lady friend said, she would tear her top sleeves and complain the pandu had tried to molest her. She also started dialing 100. The pandu (Mumbai havaldar) literally touched her feet, begging to let him free.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Thats the best way out. Even if you post it to the Commissioner of police nothing happens, I have already done that and its 3 years and no reply. Did re send that mail 5 to 6 times.

Again the best way to have a proof in favor of us is to record the conversation.

If you did record your conversation, please post it online in youtube. Then direct the link to Times Of India, India TV and the other masala channels. Then the fun will start for the moron cops
Old 28th August 2012, 15:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Goa Police 'ashamed' of planting drugs on Israeli

Same thing happened in Goa. Guess the burden is now reversed wherein people have to try harder to prove not guilty.
Old 30th August 2012, 23:42   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow

If you did record your conversation, please post it online in Youtube. Then direct the link to Times Of India, India TV and the other masala channels. Then the fun will start for the moron cops
That would have been a good thing to do. I will keep this in mind next time. OTOH, I am from a middle class family with no inflences. I pay my taxes and the most illegal thing which i would have done in my life is bribing govt. Officials. Honestly, I am very afraid of all these things and prefer to stay away. My friends say that its better to stay away from such things, as it may result in unwanted problems.

I wish India really got freedom from such people. The famous goons and wrong people go away happy, while the middle class suffers in such a daylight robbery happening in our nation.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:23   #57
BHPian

Truly shocking stories guys, thanks for sharing.

As most of the people here rightly said, we should let the conversation go peacefully but record it and then submit the recording to higher authorities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks