Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2006, 13:37   #1
DRC
BHPian

had a flat tyre yesterday, Ran 30+kms

Hi all,
Had to got to visit my parents yesterday and went to Tumkur.
While coming back, I left tumkur about 6:30 evening. and could reach bangalore by 8 till Peenya and got stuck in Traffic jam, When I passed the Peenya circle, some biker told me that I had a flat tyre. Rear left!!

Every one has flat tyres. But thinking back in time, I had started noticing the drop in power somewhere around 30 Kms or more before, but never realized I was running flat.
So stupid of me. I think some 800 guy tried to tell me this, but I used my engine power to out run him with out taking an advice. He kept flashing the lights behind me.

Finally I had to change the wheel in the middle of the traffic jam, and reach home by 9.

I 'll go to the tyre shop and check the damage

I have a question,
I noticed the flat tyre instantly when I had it for the second and third time, (first time was a pin leak, taking 3 day to loose air). but this time(4th) I missed. Always rear tyres!

Is there a way to notice the flat immediately? Are there equipments to warn.

Is there a way I can avoid punctures (reduce the possibility)

Thanks
Old 8th April 2006, 13:46   #2

hi drc,
air checkers from petes products is the best option for you to notice any
air pressure drop in the tyres.

joginder kukrerja
Old 8th April 2006, 13:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its easier to know if the front tyre is flat. Will make a big difference in handling and the steering will become tight too.I never had a puncture on the rear tyres, its always the front tyres that go flat for me.
Old 8th April 2006, 13:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its always better to switch to tubeless.. now a days a lot of tires are in the market and they are also affordable.. I have switched to tubeless tires in all my cars and even if there is a flat just fill in Air and keep driving..
The only negative point is that if you do have a nail in your tubeless tires then there are very few qualified persons who know how to fix it right..
Old 8th April 2006, 14:24   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian

When you go to repair the wheel with a flat tire, you will most likely find, the inner tube has been chewed to smithereens. Personal experience!

So you will most certainly have to replace the inner tube.

If driving 30 km on flat rubber has also damaged the tire sidewall, a change of tire is indicated as well!

Don't go tubeless just for the heck of it!

I have a personal opinion on tubeless tires, having driven in many parts of the globe on tubeless tires.

<! opinion ==========================>

Tubeless tires are only new for India. The world has used tubeless tires since the late 1950s. Believe me, tire experts in Rotterdam, NL told me to put tubes in my Vredestein Sprint tubeless tires.

My new Daewoo Nexia in 2000 came stock, with low-profile Kumho tubeless tires. In the monsoon of 2000, coming down the Bandra flyover, I hit a pothole hidden in rainwater at 45 km/h. The wheel slightly deformed and the tubeless tire was instantly and completely airless!!

I believe that tubeless tires have been over-hyped for India
after a handful of expressway blowouts were blamed on tubed tires,
instead of mad speeding with incorrect tire pressures.

<! end opinion =======================>

Chances are with the 30 km of driving on a flat tire, your rim has taken a beating too. Mild steel rims easily get out of round.

A tubeless tire depends on an airtight lip to bead seal. With your damaged lip, the bead won't seal right. If you must go tubeless, you must have good rims, new rims or even better alloy wheels that turn more true.
Old 8th April 2006, 18:23   #6
DRC
BHPian

Back from the tyre shop.
There was this little 1 inch nail causing all the damage.

Surprisingly, there were only 2 punctures in the tube. I just wanted to play safe, so replaced the tube anyway.

Will be switching to the tube less. But only for the next change.
Pete's Air checkers, as I think are for knowing the pressure before we start the journey. How can they possibly tell me there is a flat?
Old 8th April 2006, 19:10   #7
BHPian

imho, nothing might be as assuring as puncture sealants!
fill them in tube (if tubed tyres) or in tyres (if tubeless tyres), and have a bit of more peace-of-mind!

these are available at all leading car accessories shops in big cities.

for having a look of the thing, visit this site:
http://slime.com/tiresealant/index.php

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks