Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: On the Drive : Driving in the city isn't fun anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
Wish I could do that!

Whizz, Zoom & be Gone.

Seen for a moment, and in the next, disappear.
I can very much relate to all the woes you've expressed here! Even a 5 km drive becomes tedious, stressful and eventually tiring. That's why I look forward to driving on the highways. Since my daily commute is a short drive (in some of the better parts of the city), I bear with it and look forward to my next outstation trip.

Someone has said since we're sat in an AC car, there's no reason to feel tensed up! Hello! Wake up and smell the coffee, I say! Just because we sit in an AC office, is everything hunky-dory? In a mindless maze of undisciplined autos, bulldozing MTC buses, stunt bike riders and buffalos, driving your car carefully requires your utmost attention and this can be stressful! Have I mentioned all the political banners that are placed in the middle of the road? Yes, they are for you to sharpen your driving skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Mumbai traffic is pretty much famous.

I have changed my work timings to beat traffic. I work from 3:00 pm - midnight so that roads are clear. It helps with work too. I commute from Malad(residence) to Saki naka.

In Chennai, It used to take me an hour or more to drive 6.5 kms from Ascendas Taramani to Teynampet(Chamiers Road).

I used to leave before 5pm or used to take my two wheeler
Mate, when are you re-locating to Chennai?
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
You can talk about this topic all you want, but in the end there is not much anyone can do about it unless the population of India if reduced to half, by act of god.

Act of god because the country itself is least bothered about reducing it.
^This pretty much sums it up.

We must come to the reality that we cannot be a nation comprising of car(s) owning families owing to your real estate bottlenecks, population as well as the pollution effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Just because we sit in an AC office, is everything hunky-dory?
Swiftdiesel, it is all relative. I have heard the grumbling from commercial segment drivers: "What does traffic do for these car guys coolly sitting in AC".

Last edited by ramzsys : 23rd March 2013 at 11:18.
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Sorry to hear about the loss @abidansari. Happy to know you too drive a Nano, so there should be some fun back in your driving!

Lastly, though I myself too am many times frustrated at the long traffic jams and the indiscipline generally shown on the road, it sometimes helps to let go of the tension and just sit back and relax. Sometimes I play the old Bollywood songs, or sometimes I just withdraw (sort of) from the surroundings and enjoy the long wait at the signals. The drivers behind me get impatient and honk, even though they are fully aware we can't move an inch till the signal goes green, and then I realize they are letting the tension rule their actions and bodies, while I am at peace.

So, perhaps the best way to fight it all would be not to fight at all? Is there any parellel of this thought in the world of martial arts?
Ah...another Nano lover. A buddy in the traffic. I simply love the car, probably the most sensible thing I have ever done in my life. Today I drove her into Chennai harbour right up to the finger jetty. Must have been the only Nano to have entered the harbour.

Oh yes. I absolutely second your thought about sitting quite and letting the storm pass. The trick is to work the opponent down. Find 'inner peace', just as Master Shifu (Kungfu Panda).
Bollywood songs? you mean Kishore, Rafi or Hemantda, MannaDey, Mukesh? Cause I love them all.
Old 23rd March 2013, 19:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah...another Nano lover.
Oh yes. I absolutely second your thought about sitting quite and letting the storm pass. The trick is to work the opponent down. Find 'inner peace', just as Master Shifu (Kungfu Panda).
Bollywood songs? you mean Kishore, Rafi or Hemantda, MannaDey, Mukesh? Cause I love them all.
Yes, yes, yes to all the points. Except treating the others as opponents.

When I drove to Rajmachi village near Lonavla, the local Sumo/Spacio drivers and other city people were equally amazed to see the small Nano tackling the non-existing roads so easily.

It's a great relief in any stressful situations to switch on the oldies. All of 'em, Kishore, Hemantda, Rafi, Mukesh, Manna Dey, Talat, even Mahendra Kapoor. All of 'em.
Old 26th March 2013, 09:44   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
It's a great relief in any stressful situations to switch on the oldies. All of 'em, Kishore, Hemantda, Rafi, Mukesh, Manna Dey, Talat, even Mahendra Kapoor. All of 'em.
Hey. That's interesting. We share some likes. Pity we did not have a chance to meet up when I was posted in Bombay. Of course then I did not have the Nano, I had the Esteeem. Driving all the way to Chennai was sheer fun. Even the family enjoyed it.
Old 26th March 2013, 23:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey. That's interesting. We share some likes. Pity we did not have a chance to meet up when I was posted in Bombay. Of course then I did not have the Nano, I had the Esteeem. Driving all the way to Chennai was sheer fun. Even the family enjoyed it.
I hope we can meet up in one of the TBHP meets. Hopefully something will come up soon in Mumbai.
Old 26th March 2013, 23:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Music always soothes you, whichever is your choice. Thank god for AC, you can shut out some noise and keep your cool too.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 26th March 2013 at 23:48.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 15:19   #38
BHPian

This is what I did last Weekend.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3079033
Old 30th June 2014, 12:46   #39
BHPian

You have beautifully captured all the emotions that people go through during their daily "commute" I started driving to work recently, I use the leave early return early policy and it's working great for me.
Old 1st July 2014, 10:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo_shiva View Post
You have beautifully captured all the emotions that people go through during their daily "commute" I started driving to work recently, I use the leave early return early policy and it's working great for me.
Welcome to city driving. Lucky you, your policy for commute is working. For me going back n forth T-nagar is like doing a cross-country. And the rain gods don't help either.
Old 1st July 2014, 13:14   #41
BHPian

I was waiting to take a right turn in Malleshwaram. Couple of vehicles pass, then a guy in a Elantra stops and asks me to pass. Where are such gentleman drivers?
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
I was waiting to take a right turn in Malleshwaram. Couple of vehicles pass, then a guy in a Elantra stops and asks me to pass. Where are such gentleman drivers?
Point taken sir, these days there are 'Gentlemen' and then there are 'Drivers'. Rarely do we see them both in one person.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks