Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 14:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: BHPians Drive on the New Yamuna Expressway

I took the Taj expressway yesterday while returning from Agra. I had always wondered what difference will it make to the people coming to Gurgaon when they can take Palwal-Sohna-Gurgaon route. However, I know now that it will make a huge difference.

When I was going to Agra on Saturday morning, it took me 4.5 hours to reach Taj via Sohna-Palwal and NH2 (use to take 3.5 till recently). It was good till Palwal but then the frustrations started. Twice I was stopped by cops to check papers and I faced numerous jams till Taj. Road has a lot of bad patches and it seems that they have stopped worrying about it after launch of Yamuna Expressway.

While coming back I decided to save myself the trauma again and took the expressway. I think the road is so good that there is hardly any scope of improvement. to whosoever envisaged this project. I was returning from a place 90 KM beyond Agra and it took me 4 hours to travel 280kms.

Another observation I had is that the concrete roads, being light grey in colour, make you feel that the stock lamps in your headlamps are more than adequate.

Will also advise Gurgaon residents to take G. Noida-Delhi-Gurgaon road instead of coming via Palwal as the connecting road from expressway to Palwal is in very bad shape. You may end up spending half an hour more but will save your car from torture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Thanks for the nice and detailed account Samarth and Sameer!

Tempting proposition - Delhi to Agra in 2 hours. What is the toll going to be once they start collecting it? Any photo of the toll rates board?
Agra - Mathura - 100 bucks, Agra - Palwal - 220 Bucks and Agra - G. Noida - 300 bucks.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 26th November 2012 at 14:55.
Old 4th January 2013, 11:46   #47
BHPian

Just a query to those who have travelled on the Yamuna Expressway..

Why are the stop-over points on the expressway so filthy? I am talking about both-the restrooms and the cafeterias. They just not seem to match the persona of the expressway..

The food quality and the ambience of cafeterias is a big-big disappointment. The quality of the food sucks! It seems it is run by villagers who know nothing about hospitality. I perceive it is done intentionally by Jaypee group to please the agitating villagers.

IMHO, the expressway deserves something more sophisticated like McD, KFC, Haldiram etc..
Old 28th January 2013, 11:38   #48
J.Ravi

My Linea on YE

During my Himachal Pradesh trip, I took a detour at Jaipur just for a drive on Yamuna Expressway [YE] and reached Agra at the small hours of the day. My Linea had one more tankful of petrol there before entering YE.

BHPians Drive on the New Yamuna Expressway-dsc08017.jpg

BHPians Drive on the New Yamuna Expressway-ye.jpg

After entering YE, I felt sleepy and started yawning continuously. So, I parked my Linea at a safe place and slept. Suddenly, my wife woke me up and pointed towards a highway patrol van. When I lowered the window glass, a police personnel suggested that I drive to the nearby toll plaza, park and sleep there. So, I drove up to the next toll plaza and took a power nap there. Later, after a cup of hot tea, I continued my driving on YE. Most of the tarmac comprised concrete with a rough finish so as to ensure good road grip. The one-way toll paid from Agra to Greater Noida wasName:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 2211
Size:  578 Bytes320.

BHPians Drive on the New Yamuna Expressway-ye2.jpg

BHPians Drive on the New Yamuna Expressway-ye3.jpg
  (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 16:46   #49
BHPian

What will be the toll for a same day return?
(Delhi -> Agra -> Delhi)

Have also posted a question here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3237381
Old 14th September 2013, 18:24   #50
BHPian

Samarth clicking, her girl :P
Attachment 969068

Yamuna Expressway is truly a driver's paradise. Waiting for an opportunity to drive on that road some day. By the way, your girl looks too hot to handle.
Old 14th September 2013, 18:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
What will be the toll for a same day return?
(Delhi -> Agra -> Delhi)

Have also posted a question here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3237381
I guess 500/- bucks, if you're returning within 24 hours.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 23:01   #52

Just went through the thread. Some interesting observations by Samarth.Bhatia. I want to add on a few from my side also. From July this year till October I have made nine trips to and fro between Delhi and Agra.
1. On my very first trip travelling towards Agra in the night there was a dead Neelgai on the e-way. I was driving around 120 and saw the car in front swerve, I braked slowly and was lucky to avoid hitting the Neelgai. First Lesson Learnt - be alert and avoid overspeeding even when you are on the e-way.
2. During one of the trips a dog suddenly jumped out from the bushes in the divider. Thankfully I was not on the rightmost lane (following e-way rules!) and the dog also quickly turned back. Though I had started braking but am not sure what would have happened.
3. It is advisable to avoid travelling in the night, especially late nights; incidents of looting have been reported.
4. Guys who have been on the Mumbai-Pune e-way, please dont get carried away. This e-way is in a different demographic location and a differeny experience.
5. Every now and then it is being blocked by protesting landowners; though adequate compensation has been given but a lot of freebies are still expected.
6. In the morning and evening hours womenin groups cross the road, one has to be careful.
7. Boys and men can be seen sitting on the sideguards or taking a stroll on the grass pavement near toll plazas. A lot of canines can also be seen.
8. People from nearby villages, instead of entering from the provided entries are picking up (physically lifting) their two wheelers from the side roads as per their convenience and putting them on the e-way to travel on it.
9. Some Buses are plying on the e-way and picking up passengers. The people from nearby villages have removed the barbed wire fence at places and are entering the e-way to board these buses, thus crowding it at places.
10. In the end, as mentioned by some fellow bhpians also, there is a lot of overspeeding and corresponding number of mishaps. People don't seem to notice the speed limit or the requests made through a number of signboards to use the rightmodt lane for overtaking only.
11. The Expressway authorities seem ignorant and non existent except charging the toll fee.
arrowhead6996 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 18:16   #53
BHPian

I have now driven on the Yamuna expressway quite a few times, and always remarked how well behaved the drivers were generally, with most drivers following traffic rules, not jumping lanes, and using the rightmost lane only for overtaking, and surprises of surprises, giving way themselves when they saw an approaching car (read me) from behind on the overtaking lane. It was as near to driving in England as it came to.

On January 1, 2016, I took a one day quick tour to Agra from Noida and this time it was a different scenario. Gone is the lane discipline and now cars routinely stick to all lanes including the overtaking lane while driving at their speeds, and no matter how much you flash your lights, they don't budge. The discipline was good till it lasted, but then, all good things while driving on Indian roads have to come to an end, sooner or later!
rajivrt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks