Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 19:34   #31
BANNED

Re: Police/ Security Checking Cars: Is it Legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatgain View Post
better buy from independent stores where they pass on their part of profit which they save from the rents compared to at the malls.
One component of the higher rents is the security theater. But yeah, stuff is much cheaper outside. Also I noticed many mall shops don't keep the good quality lower ranges. For eg. A Park Avenue shop in a mall stocks only trousers from Rs. 1800+. A mom & pop clothes shops stocks Park Avenue trousers starting from 1400. He also has the 1800+ stuff, but the lower range is also accessible. In Electronics, I have bargained and got stuff upto 25% cheaper outside than the Croma price - same brand, same model number, same warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatgain View Post
Then you got checking everywhere in Airports. Your baggage can be checked , You can be checked and what all. You can't avoid flying in Aeroplanes for that reason.

Adjusting is the key.
The difference between Airport checking & Mall Checking is huge. Airport Checking is done by professionals. Mall Checking is done by 'rent-a-guy-in-brown-uniform' guys who wouldn't be able to detect something unless it's smashed on their faces - i.e. basic security theater.

Last edited by carboy : 4th October 2012 at 19:40.
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
What I really hate though is, personal checking by HAND! That feels so gross to me that I've actually stopped going to malls if avoidable. Security is important yeah, check me with a metal detector, beeper something, not with the same hands the guards are sneezing/scratching/eating/etc with.
That's called groping, it feels gay and it grosses me out. BIG cinemas at Hyderabad has security that will thoroughly grope your chest, your legs and private areas for items and ask you to remove and show them everything in your pocket. Not even chewing gum is let inside, which shows that this is more than just a 'security' check. I never returned to the theater ever again.

I avoid malls and multiplexes like the plague due to all these hurdles. The only mall I ever visit is inorbit which is right opp. our office. I don't have to park my car and get it checked. And the security guy hardly touches you (which is still not acceptable to me though).

Btw, our office doesn't let us take photos of the building (when you're inside the campus) but it absolutely acceptable to have someone snap a pic of it from outside it . There are so many security holes for our building I dare not put them here for the fear of letting in an actual terrorist inside.
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:09   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Btw, our office doesn't let us take photos of the building (when you're inside the campus) but it absolutely acceptable to have someone snap a pic of it from outside it.
Are you complaining about the fact that they don't let you take photos from inside? Or are you complaining that it's acceptable to take photos from outside?
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are you complaining about the fact that they don't let you take photos from inside? Or are you complaining that it's acceptable to take photos from outside?
Haha, I'm complaining about the stupidity of the 'no snaps' rule that they've implemented within the campus.
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:30   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Haha, I'm complaining about the stupidity of the 'no snaps' rule that they've implemented within the campus.
It's stupid only if you assume that it was meant to prevent terrorism.

That's not the objective of security theater. The objectives are different
- If a problem happens, nobody can point fingers and say that the company/mall/whoever did not make enough effort.
- It's supposed to give you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside - your company/govt/mall/whoever is protecting you.

The byproduct of security theater of course is that it makes life difficult for everyone except the terrorist.
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The byproduct of security theater of course is that it makes life difficult for everyone except the terrorist.
I couldn't agree with you more, esp. on the last line!
Old 1st August 2016, 11:21   #37
BHPian

Vehicle Security Grouses

If you have owned or driven a car in India in the past 10 years, you would not have missed this. I'm referring to the security check that happens in and around your car each time you enter any public building (office, mall, hotel). While some may check by asking us to open the bonnet and the boot and even the passenger side door, others do a mirror check underneath the car.

Believe me, I have no issues surrendering to their requests since they are just doing their job. But I have two issues. The simple one first - many guards do not know how to shut the boot and thus bang it with all their might. With just a frown, most of us move on. The second one is more universal and yet serious - what do these guys check? Does this drill merit anything? Have we ever found suspicious stuff? I hope that none of this ever happens but if the intent is to do wrong, I seriously wonder if this random and superficial check will suffice.

If there are proper do's and dont's that someone knows, please share. In most international countries, I do not see similar procedures. So what do they do?

Mods, if there are similar threads..please merge this post.
Old 1st August 2016, 11:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vehicle Security Grouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khushrav View Post
But I have two issues. The simple one first - many guards do not know how to shut the boot and thus bang it with all their might. With just a frown, most of us move on. The second one is more universal and yet serious - what do these guys check? Does this drill merit anything? Have we ever found suspicious stuff?
Very Apt thread. Have been facing this issue when entering in malls in particular.

I am more aggrieved with the first issue - banging of the boot door. Everytime I enter this particular mall, the security guys invariably bang the boot door. I have to lower the windows and shout at them for doing so. So proactively I tell them in advance about the door closing. Same applies to the bonnet too. I have observed that the security guys in the age group 25-30 yrs are generally more doing this act.

Regarding the second issue, even I am surprised at times. My boot has some brake pads, air filter from last service. Nobody has till date questioned me what are these things. Even my office security use the mirror to scan the car underneath. When I asked them what they check the guy sheepishly responds -"oil leak sir". Thats a good thing but nothing other than is reported. The mall guys don't even know what suspicious things to look. Its like they are programmed robots to do the daily routine.
Old 1st August 2016, 11:41   #39
Team-BHP Support

The security checks that happen in the malls and hotels is pure stupidity. I don't think ANY of the guards entrusted with it have any idea what they should be looking out for. More importantly, what they should do if they find something suspicious.

Fine, they can spot something in the boot. But what do they check under the hood?! Or under the car?! I'm sure they don't have enough expertise to spot a dangerous object.

Worse, I think twice about items in the car (such as a laptop bag or anything else) while going through a security check since doors are unlocked and I'm a sitting duck.

I think it makes a bit more sense with sniffer dogs (assuming they are trained sniffer dogs). And I pity those dogs for what they're put through.

I'll tell you this: there's only place where I've seen a serious check (this is assuming the tool used actually works). In ITPL, Bangalore, all vehicles are made to stop right after they enter a gate. Once a small number of vehicles accumulates, there's a guy wearing gloves with some tool in hand who walk across the road in front of the vehicles. I asked once, it's apparently some tool that gives a reading for the amount of explosive compounds in the vicinity.

Apart from this, security checks in our country, for the most part, are a waste of everyone's time.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st August 2016 at 11:43.
Old 1st August 2016, 11:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

The security guards are not fully trained/qualified, many a times. The drill is merely to be "compliant"

I have faced the circumstances where they shut the boot with heavy force and I've decided for myself that I'd rather get out of the car, open the boot for the inspection and close it myself.

After several days, the security guards themselves felt bad and they simply smile and let me pass.
Old 1st August 2016, 12:23   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I am more concerned about the second point. They check the boot and the underbody. If it is indeed for security purposes, what about the contents lying inside the cabin or under the bonnet? I even have a tray under the seat. No one is bothered what I have stored there.
On several occasions, my boot is filled with random things and even carton boxes. The day the carton boxes were pried open and I was questioned about their content, I felt happy that something fruitful is happening. But they never bothered to know about the heap of things on my back seat. So now, I am sure that it's a pure waste of time and resources.

Coming to the other explanation, if it is to check for oil leak (maybe to ensure a clean office) then why bother opening the boot and banging it shut?
Old 1st August 2016, 23:32   #42
BHPian

I think the car boot and underbody check are more of a sham. However think of this drill as pro-active deterrent. With the number of people and personal cars visiting Malls these days it's physically impossible to employ a fool proof method or system. At the end of the days these guys are merely doing their job in inclement weather conditions. With the kind of world we are living in where some insane guy can kill 20 people with a machete or knife, it's better to be safe than sorry. I am also uncomfortable with the physical checking at door of Malls but think of this little inconvenience as a measure against possible deadly attack.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks