Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 17:54   #1
BHPian

The kindness of a stranger at 2 am.......

This incident happened to me in Hyderabad about 7 months back, I always wanted to share it and today I finally was inspired by all the other posts in this section to post this.

In February this year I was returning home alone from a wedding in Hyderabad at about 1:30 am in my Alto. I am not from Hyderabad and barring some places in Gachibowli I hardly know my way around. I was going from somewhere in Rajendra Nagar to my campus in Gachibowli.

Google maps showed my a shortcut via some uninhabited areas and since the fuel needle was touching the red and I had an interview tomorrow morning, I stupidly followed the route. The broken road gave way to a dirt path and then finally hardly any road was there. I was scared but I thought campus is only a few kms away and I would soon be home.

Suddenly a huge hump appeared in the middle of the road (looked like a large sewer pipe). I stopped my car and for some reason I thought I just need to go over it with enough speed and it would be no problem. Unfortunately that was not the case, I heard a huge thump and the car stopped. I reversed and then forward again but the wheels just seemed to be spinning in the air. I got off and surveyed the scene.

What I saw scared the hell out of me: all four wheels were in the air and the whole care was suspended on the drain pipe. I looked around, it was completely dark, no one in sight. The area was surrounded by barren land and trees. I Looked at my phone, the battery was almost empty. I just panicked and started digging with my bare hands trying to get the car out and in the process ripped my clothes and ruined my shoes also. I was soon running around without shoes in a ripped lungi!

After struggling for nearly 45 minutes I decided to give up and look for another option. About 200m away I saw small hut/shack with a light. Having watched one two many horror movies I had to convince myself that contacting someone at 2am in the night in the middle of nowhere would be beneficial to me. After knocking for a long time, a man in his 30s or 40s came to the door but refused to open it. I told him my car was stuck and I needed help but he refused to believe someone would drive a car alone at 2 am on a damaged road where cars haven't been for months/ years. He thought I was a thief or something worse....

After a lot of convincing (I think he saw my shiny orange lungi) the guy believed my story that I was returning from a wedding and had got stuck.
This guy was the KINDEST PERSON I HAVE EVER MET IN MY LIFE. He struggled for nearly one hour to dig/push/support the car out. He referred to me as "Radhey" for some reason and would not let me help dig. However even his best efforts could not get my car out. This guy then called his elderly father and mother out to help. The four of us managed to free the car by 4 am. As soon as the car was out they quickly left without exchanging a word back to their hut. I ran after them thanking them and trying to give some form of monetary compensation. They refused but I managed to give some money to the old lady convincing her she can buy something for the small children in the area.

I think this incident will remain with me for the rest of my life. I don't think I will ever will be so thankful for the kindness of a complete stranger.
Foxbat is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 18:23   #2
BHPian

Re: The kindness of a stranger at 2 am.......

And how was the Interview next day? Ideally you should have backed up when you started noticing broken roads and barren lands. Good to learn that you came out safe. And yes people like these are god sent!
Old 9th September 2012, 18:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
This guy then called his elderly father and mother out to help. The four of us managed to free the car by 4 am. As soon as the car was out they quickly left without exchanging a word back to their hut. I ran after them thanking them and trying to give some form of monetary compensation. They refused but I managed to give some money to the old lady convincing her she can buy something for the small children in the area.

I think this incident will remain with me for the rest of my life. I don't think I will ever will be so thankful for the kindness of a complete stranger.
Amazing man!!

Hope you went back during the day time to share a proper thanks and maybe some gifts? I would have. Such an episode can normally be quite hellish in most cases.
Old 9th September 2012, 18:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
And how was the Interview next day? Ideally you should have backed up when you started noticing broken roads and barren lands. Good to learn that you came out safe. And yes people like these are god sent!
Interview went well but unfortunately they thought I would not join the company (they were right) so no offer was made. Anyways later got a much better job so in the end all things turned out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Amazing man!!

Hope you went back during the day time to share a proper thanks and maybe some gifts? I would have. Such an episode can normally be quite hellish in most cases.
Yes I should have, but unfortunately I was having campus placements during this time and its a very stressful period. In fact while writing this I was thinking that if I ever go back to Hyderabad I should try to meet that guy again....
Old 9th September 2012, 20:55   #5
BHPian

When things like these happen to us we can rightfully claim to have experienced divine providence.

The least any of us could do is pass this experience on to others not only by retelling the incident but by helping out however, whenever we can. Kindness always results in positive enrichment of the receiver.

On the other hand, I beg to differ on the issue of money. I'm only speaking for myself here and don't intend to offend anyone. So in that spirit let me say the following: -

In these situations I would feel really uncomfortable if I tried to offer them money. It's good that they accepted and I'm sure the money helped them. But they woke up in the dead of the night to help a stranger out, and I'm sure they didn't expect anything in return. I would have felt like I was belittling their kindness and insulting their magnanimity by offering them money. I mean what could I do for them in return? Whatever I do wouldn't, couldn't be enough, ever. Looking at it from the other side, if I was the man who helped someone out I would be really offended if they tried to offer me money 'in return' for the help.

I would have returned later to thank them, and then ask if a little money would be acceptable to them.
snkjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 21:58   #6
BHPian

That's a really heart-warming story and well done you in thinking about the good samaritan who assisted you - despite his refusal of your understandable token of thanks.

Its good to know wherever in the world there are people out there who help out of their goodness of heart and not 'what's in it for me'.

I remember once in America my wife and I got into difficulties and this gent volunteered to help us and just like your experience he refused any recompense once our predicament was resolved, not even accepting petrol money.
Argyll is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 01:33   #7
BHPian

I do agree offering money may not have been the best thing to do.

But I think this is after thinking rationally about the incident in a relaxed state. At 4 am in the morning, when you have a important interview in 5 hours, your feet are bleeding,you have been digging for 2 hours and in the process have ripped some very expensive clothes and you just do the 1st thing that comes to your head.

But on the other hand, I think most people handle pressure situations much better than I do
Old 10th September 2012, 18:46   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I hardly know my way around
Quote:
since the fuel needle was touching the red
Quote:
The broken road gave way to a dirt path and then finally hardly any road was there. I was scared but I thought campus is only a few kms away and I would soon be home.
Quote:
I stopped my car and for some reason I thought I just need to go over it with enough speed and it would be no problem.
Quote:
I Looked at my phone, the battery was almost empty.
Man, you were seriously asking for trouble. Driving in the middle of the night, an unfamiliar region, taking a inhabited diversion, running low on fuel and with a cell phone battery running dry. To top that up, you continued driving when there weren't any roads left, to finally end up as a see-saw on a pipe!

I hope you learn from this mistake and take the necessary precautions in the future. Driving late at night on Indian roads is dangerous enough.

That man was your saviour. Hats off to him.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 20:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, you were seriously asking for trouble. Driving in the middle of the night, an unfamiliar region, taking a inhabited diversion, running low on fuel and with a cell phone battery running dry. To top that up, you continued driving when there weren't any roads left, to finally end up as a see-saw on a pipe!
Yes, he sure was asking for trouble - but had he not taken that route inspite of all the -ve's he would never had experienced the experience and we wouldn't have heard about it. As the saying goes, everything happens for a reason.

That said, this time the reason was good which needn't be the case everytime, so its a lesson learnt
Old 10th September 2012, 20:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I hope you learn from this mistake and take the necessary precautions in the future. Driving late at night on Indian roads is dangerous enough.

That man was your saviour. Hats off to him.
I am usually an extremely cautious and risk averse driver (my friends often make fun of me for waiting for a red light at 1 am). But I guess in this situation all I was thinking of was getting back to campus as quick as possible to prepare for the interview. I ended up throwing caution to the wind and ended up in an extremely vulnerable situation.

I have definitely learned from this incident, I don't think luck will be on my side every time.
Old 11th September 2012, 16:31   #11
BHPian

Thank you very much for taking the efforts and sharing such a nice experience and a lesson- to avoid taking unplanned routes.
bijuiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 10:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

You should thank your stars as you found someone genuinely good to help you out I know you have learnt your lessons and will be careful the next time. I was also misled by the google maps once, but I backtracked as soon as the roads disappeared

However, it would be really nice of you to revisit them and offer some sweets or something to show your appreciation.
Old 12th September 2012, 21:00   #13
BHPian

I really do believe in Karma, if one sows goodness, one will reap goodness.

This incident happened in February 2012. In February or March 2011 there was a Omni which had backed into a gully in near my house in Bangalore. And old man and women were trying to push it out but were not successful after multiple tries.

I was leaving my house all dressed up to party, but seeing them in trouble I decided to help. I got bricks and placed them tightly below the wheel of car and pushed while the man tried to tried to power out of the gutter. After 5-10 minutes he was finally successful.

Guess my 10 minutes of kindness accumulated a lot of interest in one year

Last edited by Foxbat : 12th September 2012 at 21:04.
Old 12th September 2012, 21:17   #14
BHPian

You did get lucky there dint you? Remember to top up once the gauge hits 1/4 mark, atleast keep it around the half mark. Ofcourse you have learnt it the hard way, we also know you wouldn't wander into unknown territories unless you are on a bike or a jeep.

Orange Lungi did you say? . You should consider changing the title to "The kindness of a stranger, his elderly parents and the magical powers of my orange lungi!" : P
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks