Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2006, 08:32   #1
zen
BHPian

Tyre burst!

Yesterday morning around 6 am, my Dad had woken up and was just reading something when he heard this loud blast downstairs.

Turned out it was the right front tyre on my zen that had just exploded. I went to check it out and the sight was positively scary! I'm just happy it didn't happen while the car was being driven.

Any clues as to how this could have happened? There wasn't anything sharp around where we had parked it.. and it was 6AM.. and the car was stationary so I don't think it could've been the heat.

2 more pics:
http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img04257eq.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img04265sw.jpg

NOTE FROM MODERATOR : Kindly avoid posting full size pictures. Please Check How to post photographs on Team-BHP in this topic

Last edited by adya33 : 29th April 2006 at 21:49.
Old 28th April 2006, 09:36   #2
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
...heard this loud blast downstairs.
Turned out it was the right front tyre on my zen that had just exploded...

Any clues as to how this could have happened? There wasn't anything sharp around where we had parked it.. and it was 6AM.. and the car was stationary so I don't think it could've been the heat.
Your tire was damaged to the point of catastrophic failure.
The innertube was holding the 28-30 psi pressure on its own, unsupported by the strong tire, most likely bulging out of the breach in the tire -- an aneurism ready to burst, slowly impaling itself on a stray steel wire from the radial's frayed steel belt, like a time fuse.

Over a few hours, the tip of the steel wire breached the tube leading to explosive decompression.

I had a similar problem with one tire . Only timely intervention of Lord Venkateswara saved me from explosive decompression at speed on the expressway.

You must inspect your tires every so often, looking for signs of failure.
Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2006, 16:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

oh i had a tyre that blasted @180kmph on greater noida expressway during the first team-bhp delhi meet,who said tubeless tyres dont fail(good year GT3,one week old,no nail found ,the valve blasted)however i got the tyre changed for free,but that has made a huge impact on me ,now i always check my tyres ,rims and valves before every highway drive.
Old 28th April 2006, 16:57   #4
BHPian

cool :-), I think ram has answers to all the questions, Now I know whom to ask.
Old 28th April 2006, 17:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
oh i had a tyre that blasted @180kmph on greater noida expressway during the first team-bhp delhi meet,who said tubeless tyres dont fail(good year GT3,one week old,no nail found ,the valve blasted)however i got the tyre changed for free,but that has made a huge impact on me ,now i always check my tyres ,rims and valves before every highway drive.
Anshuman, tubeless tyres also fail catastrophically ??

whats was the tyre pressure (what was recommened pressure)?
Old 28th April 2006, 18:18   #6
BHPian

Honda Unicron Tyres

My brother back had a nasty accident when the rear tyres (one supposed to be puncture resitant) suddenly gave way on the main city roads at 60 kmph...

Lucky escaped with deep bruises only , no broken bones....
Old 29th April 2006, 18:26   #7
BHPian

I have had a Goodyear GPS 2 tyre develop a puncture on the highway at 120... Luckily, it didn't burst and I had enough of time to (gently) stop the car in a safe place. Too bad the tyre was completely shredded by then !

I have also driven (unknowingly) on MRF Zigma CC tyres that had already failed, at 140 on the Expressway ! I guess that somebody must not want me ruining the party they are having up there!

I think my tyre's internal steel belt was damaged when I hit a DEEP pothole at 70Kmph... the rim bent and the plastic hub cap was shattered. I had no idea at the time that tyres can be damaged too... I was planning on a tyre upgrade anyway and a week later I decided to inspect all tyres to decide which one could serve as a spare. That's when I noticed the "baloon" tyre !

I was so scared looking at it (with bits of the steel belt exposed etc.) that I was reluctant to even drive the car to the local tyre shop !

- T u r b o C -

PS: Replaced the rims with a set of alloys and upgraded to Brigdestone Potenza G IIIs. 185/70R13 really fills the wheel arches on an Esteem; changes both the look and the feel of the car B-)
Old 29th April 2006, 18:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

The pics cleraly indicate that the tyre was in poor condition i.e. it should have been replaced. If other tyres are also in a similar shape(as in old & lesss grip) then I would strongly suggest changing all of your tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks