Old 22nd October 2012, 17:48   #31

Re: Close shave on the Western Express Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
@StrangeWizard-
Lesson learnt
- Always keep safe braking distance especially while driving fast
- Always anticipate other drivers move - defensive driving technique
- Parking brakes are not supposed to be used in such situation, just slam the brakes the ABS will kick-in and take control and your job is to try to steer the vehicle safely. In non ABS vehicle try to do a controlled braking instead of slamming it.
I agree. Had all the drivers followed these rules it would not have happened.
Anticipating other drivers move is a key to safe driving.
umaengineering is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 19:41   #32
BHPian

Lucky you!! and must appreciate you for the quick thinking under duress.

Had a close call yesterday. Was driving down a 2 lane road at 8pm. Hardly any street lights. There was a Getz in front of me and a i20 behind.

Had a safe gap between all the cars. Suddenly noticed that the Getz has come to a standstill, no brakelights!! Slammed by brakes and flung my hand out for the i20 behind. ABS kicked in and with a little bit of drama, we both stopped safely without any contacts. The i20 guy stalled his car.

Apologized to the i20 guy for the late braking. I guess its the lack of a functional brakelight + late realization of the stopped car caused a panic situation.

Phew!
Old 23rd October 2012, 23:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
So a distance of 10 feet at even 20 kmph gives you just half a second to respond to any changes in the situation. It is always better to keep a safe distance, even in city driving.
That's assuming that the time taken for the car to go from 20-0 is zero seconds, which is unlikely unless the person's blind and hit a tree. There is always time to realize what is happening before it happens.
And during the occurrence of an accident, your at 110% of your senses/awareness. So you take in more and can do more in that time.
Take the case of the OP. He was not too far behind the car in front of him and in a split second he managed to jam his brakes, turn his steering wheel and yank the handbrake. Ask him to do that in normal conditions and I think he'd have a tough time replicating it. Even if he does manage to replicate it, it would be after concentrating ridiculously hard. Something, which he may not have realized he was doing when the incident took place. The fact that in principle that technique may be wrong is a different issue altogether.

Mind you, I'm not supporting tailgating. I'm just stating that in Indian conditions, its impossible to keep a space of 80 feet between 2 cars at any given time.
What will happen in half a second is that a thousand drivers will barge in front of you like they own the road! Nothing else.
mango_pal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 21:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
That might be true most of the times, but not when some idiot decides to brake hard suddenly just so that he doesn't miss the turn, he noticed too late.

Thanks!

Why did the Indigo stop? Why does one want to go over that? because one can see through the windshields and one can come to our own conclusion that the Indigo had no valid reason to stop.

Most trucks do not have working brake lights. esp the dumpers. At about 50-60 kmph it would take off almost a sec off your reaction time, because you only know when his rear wheels lock up, ( high speed you got smoke and stuff) low speed you just got locked wheels. No brake lights. So what do you do in those few moments of time before you go into the rear of a truck? you brake, down shift, try not to look into the IVRM and the OVRM, and not lock the brake, at the same time try not to have some GOD on a 100cc two wheeled contraption not rear end you.

I speak from only experience. If one drives a truck it wouldn't matter. If you drive a car and have your loved ones with you it should matter.

Our so called GQ ( cant really blame the roads) have idiots all over them.

Ive had a goat run into one of those while i was at 130 and it stopped to linger there right in the middle for a few secs. That was in a very long time I had braked so hard I could see smoke on the mirrors and smell rubber inside the car.

I am one of those non heroes who want to get back home in one shape, because there are lives that depend on me.

If I cant stop in time it is my fault. If each and everyone thinks in that line, I seriously doubt the term tail gating would exist.
Old 28th October 2012, 23:34   #35
BHPian

Mango pal
Hi.
"Mind you, I'm not supporting tailgating. I'm just stating that in Indian conditions, its impossible to keep a space of 80 feet between 2 cars at any given time.
What will happen in half a second is that a thousand drivers will barge in front of you like they own the road! Nothing else."
What you have said is very true.Unfortunately in India you cannot keep a safe distance.Everybody would look for an oppurtunity to squeeze between you and the cr in front of you resulting in your being pushed back and back.Definitely that is better than spending money on repairs.
Remember seeing a hollywood movie where the driver in front breaks the windscreen of the car tailgating him with the quip"this will teach you not to tailgate."
Regards

Old 29th October 2012, 00:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Mango pal
Hi.
"Mind you, I'm not supporting tailgating. I'm just stating that in Indian conditions, its impossible to keep a space of 80 feet between 2 cars at any given time.
What will happen in half a second is that a thousand drivers will barge in front of you like they own the road! Nothing else."
What you have said is very true.Unfortunately in India you cannot keep a safe distance.Everybody would look for an oppurtunity to squeeze between you and the cr in front of you resulting in your being pushed back and back
I have said this before and will say this again. If you have to tailgate, please ensure your car is slightly to the left or right of the vehicle you are following. It will ensure that you have a clear field of vision of what lies ahead of him and also provide an escape path for you incase the car ahead breaks hard.

Also the old rule/thumb rule when driving behind the other vehicle is, maintain enough space to clearly see the tyres of the vehicle ahead. This will provide you with enough space to react and prevent a rear end collision.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 12:15   #37
BHPian

Good thinking and glad you experienced something without paying a price. This should hold you in good stead in future.

In city traffic maintaining safe distance is a pipe dream but personally I follow self made rules.

When climbing onto a flyover in stop-go-stop traffic, I generally hold off for a few seconds until the car in front has moved some distance. This helps me build some gap and gauge how slow or fast the traffic ahead is clearing. I then, slip the clutch slowly without really accelerating hard.

When climbing down a flyover, although its easier to spot the traffic ahead, I try and maintain some extra distance in the event of a sudden braking scenario. I do get rebuked by honking and flashing motorist behind but I feel its in the interest of good for everyone. No fun wading through accident jams.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:52   #38
BHPian

I was involved with similar accident couple of months back near Godrej on LBS Road. I was going towards Ghatkopar and was cruising at 50. It was afternoon so traffic was comparatively less. There was a Zen (driven by aged person with long beard) followed by an Innova (gentle Sardarji), my Scorpio and a Santro (middle aged guy with family including 6 month old).

We all were cruising without much issue due to free road. We were approaching a gap between road divider and suddenly Zen driver realized that he needs to take U turn. He braked suddenly and took U turn. I believe Innova driver was late with his reaction and had to brake heavily. The moment I saw Innova brake lights, I slammed my brakes.

Now I see Innova managed to stop without touching Zen and my Scorpio with ABS kicked in, sliding towards Innova with clear intentions to hit it. The moment I realized this, I turned my wheel towards left and was able to stop couple of feet after Innova. I thought I saved myself and Innova with accidental damage but this satisfaction was momentary as within a moment I heard and felt a thud from behind. Apparently, Santro guy was not able to stop within time.

Meanwhile, our culprit, the Zen driver realized what happened, and sped away while Innova driver was shouting for him. I got down and checked – Santro’s front was in bad shape - bent bonnet, broken radiator, coolant pouring out, broken headlights and broken bumper. I thought I will find something similar with my Scorpio as well and moved to the back. To my surprise, only real bull bar was slightly bent that too one can find with careful inspection. No other single scratch was made.

I felt happy for my Scorpio and equally sad for the Santro and its owner. Offered my vehicle / insurance details to him and left after he sent his family by Auto.

ABS technology is supposed to help you with braking in emergency situations. But with this and few other incidences, I feel it reduces my capability to stop my vehicle securely within safe distance. I get scared when ABS kicks in and my vehicle rolls down with brakes vibrating and only about 50% of braking in use. Not sure if this is with only my vehicle or all cars give similar feeling.
Old 31st October 2012, 07:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

@amk_2009, the ABS won't reduce your braking distance. It only helps you retain the steering ability, by not allowing the wheels to lock. In your case if you braked heavily, without the ABS you couldn't have steered your vehicle around the Innova. Without ABS you would have slammed right into the Innova. So the ABS did its job alright.

However we shouldn't expect that the ABS would allow you to stop in a shorter distance.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:22   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk_2009 View Post

ABS technology is supposed to help you with braking in emergency situations. But with this and few other incidences, I feel it reduces my capability to stop my vehicle securely within safe distance. I get scared when ABS kicks in and my vehicle rolls down with brakes vibrating and only about 50% of braking in use. Not sure if this is with only my vehicle or all cars give similar feeling.
Not to raise an old and recurrent ghost, but if there is a perception that you only have 50% of braking available, there is something wrong in your car's systems and youd do well to have it checked out.
Meantime, LOADS of discussions on ABS available in the search box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks