Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 11:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Elephant Attack in the Bandipur Forest area?

Well, i was on the same route a week back (22nd Oct) and had seen the elephants just by the road. They didnt appear scary though! A herd would definitely be scary that too at night! At night passing through such patches is really dangerous.
Attached Thumbnails
Elephant Attack in the Bandipur Forest area?-20121022_091210.jpg  

Elephant Attack in the Bandipur Forest area?-20121022_091157.jpg  

Old 31st October 2012, 12:10   #17
BHPian

Actually its not really that surprising. I have done that route numerous times and animals we see most of the times are Elephants, Cheetal, wild boars and ocasionallly a solatiry sloth bear thanks to touristy types who feed them . Have seen people carrying banans specially for elephants. Cheetals are so fearless now that people feed them by hand.

Contrary to popular belief elephants numbers are not really decreasing but their land is, human animal conflict is bound to happen and is happening on a way bigger scale than what we get to hear from the media. It is not really surprising that this was not reported. Regarding damage to the man, i have seen worse, few years ago got to witness a body trampled by elephants near Kanakpura. His head was like somebody rolled his head with a road roller, surprisingly all other body parts were intact.

Elephants are very intelligent, they learned how to uproot electrified fence poles and cross them so it is very much possible that they know who is harmfull to them man or his bike/car

Another problem with elephants is their quiteness and color, you will not see them until they are very near at the night time, i know somebody who rammed his Gypsy in an Ele near Rajaji national park so it will be foolhardy to cross areas known for disturbances specially with family in toe and more so for stopping your vehicle and getting out.

-Ijeet
Old 31st October 2012, 12:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Well, i was on the same route a week back (22nd Oct) and had seen the elephants just by the road. They didnt appear scary though! A herd would definitely be scary that too at night! At night passing through such patches is really dangerous.
From the pics, I assume that you had stopped your car to photograph the elephants.
No offence meant, but this is what irritates them the most. I also see a baby along with them and that's when the herd becomes very sensitive. People stop their vehicles in right there and keep clicking pics, not respecting the privacy of these elephants, until they run out of their wits and get into the attack mode.
Please don't do this, in the interest of your safety and as well as for the other road users.

If at all there was another vehicle(s) behind you or coming from the opposite direction, they too would have stopped to "enjoy" the sight. If something goes wrong, it could be a disaster out there, for each driver not sure of which way to steer to avoid the charging pachyderms. And some of those "I am the bravest" kind of drivers, park the vehicles in the middle of the road, get out and then click pics/howl or do whatever to express their new found thrill!

In case you are wondering, I hail from wayanad and drive down from Bangalore every other weekend. I have been through these and was lucky enough to get out alive on several occasions, all for some foolish people's acts. Even though the stretch is a no-parking zone, until recently folks stop, smoke, booze, have a good time and then leave. There has been cases of abduction, robberies and molestation cases as well in this stretch. The Kerala side in on strict vigil by the Highway Traffic Taveras.

Last edited by jeeva : 31st October 2012 at 12:22.
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 12:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quite scary incidence

Usually lone bull elephants / tuskers are more dangerous.

Couple of years back I came across a tusker throwing mud over himself and quite agressive on middle of road in Chinnar , I reversed about 100 - 150 meters and waited patently to check which way he is going to move, then two forest guard came on motercycle and passed slowly from the side to lure him and elephant started chasing them and then eventually moved away from road.

I was astonished at bravery of the guards.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
From the pics, I assume that you had stopped your car to photograph the elephants.
No offence meant, but this is what irritates them the most. I also see a baby along with them and that's when the herd becomes very sensitive. People stop their vehicles in right there and keep clicking pics, not respecting the privacy of these elephants, until they run out of their wits and get into the attack mode.
Please don't do this, in the interest of your safety and as well as for the other road users.

If at all there was another vehicle(s) behind you or coming from the opposite direction, they too would have stopped to "enjoy" the sight. If something goes wrong, it could be a disaster out there, for each driver not sure of which way to steer to avoid the charging pachyderms. And some of those "I am the bravest" kind of drivers, park the vehicles in the middle of the road, get out and then click pics/howl or do whatever to express their new found thrill!

In case you are wondering, I hail from wayanad and drive down from Bangalore every other weekend. I have been through these and was lucky enough to get out alive on several occasions, all for some foolish people's acts. Even though the stretch is a no-parking zone, until recently folks stop, smoke, booze, have a good time and then leave. There has been cases of abduction, robberies and molestation cases as well in this stretch. The Kerala side in on strict vigil by the Highway Traffic Taveras.
I agree to what you say. But just to clarify, we were given strict instructions at the entry post in Bandipur to not stop inbetween and drive slow. These pics were taken at slow speeds without stopping and not using flash. As far as i can remember, I didnt see any sign board saying no photography allowed. As long as we don't stop and do not use flash, it should be ok. We just need to follow the rule of not disturbing the animals.

Last edited by pamishra : 31st October 2012 at 13:26.
Old 31st October 2012, 13:36   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
If at all there was another vehicle(s) behind you or coming from the opposite direction, they too would have stopped to "enjoy" the sight. If something goes wrong, it could be a disaster out there, for each driver not sure of which way to steer to avoid the charging pachyderms.
And in situations where there is more than one vehicle parked, it is so easy for another car coming up and the driver honks. Easy way to agitate an already restless herd of elephants !

The driver of the last/latest vehicle would not even know why the others have stopped, and can honk just out of impatience & ignorance.
Old 31st October 2012, 22:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

In my experience some things to take care while driving through the forest:
  • Drive slow, be alert and maintain a low profile.
  • Watch out for elephants/animals on curves. Especially elephants, as their color and mud all over makes it really difficult to spot them at night.
  • If you encounter an elephant mid road, just stop your car and wait calmly. If its not agitated then it will move away. Do not raise your engines or honk like a popular video in youtube. You might not always be lucky.
  • Always keep your car in the power band, so that you can just accelerate away if something worse happens.
  • If at all there is any urgency to stop, do not turn off your engines.
  • If you see a herd of elephants just by the side of the road, watch out for the other side too, as most probably the herd will be crossing and few will be left on the other side waiting to cross.
  • Always keep a safe distance from the animals, especially elephants and wild buffaloes.
  • To recognize an agitated elephant: The whole body of the elephant will go round with the tiny tail and the truck stuck up.
  • Finally do not honk and no flash and DO NOT LITTER the forest.
Angry Elephant:
Name:  Ele.png
Views: 13632
Size:  143.8 KB

Fellow members and travelers can add more valid points.
dhanushs is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 22:33   #23
Team-BHP Support

If driving during the night, would the elephants get agitated owing to the vehicle's headlights?

I have driven through Bandipur a couple of times during the night to get to Gudalur, but thankfully, didnt face any animals along the way.
Old 31st October 2012, 22:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think people have the image of those gentle moving elephants they see in processions or near a religious place. They are wild animals and people need to be afraid of them even when they are not near. Or is it because they are vegetarian that people have no fear of them?
Old 1st November 2012, 07:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the experience with your friend and his family.

Few tips for all. My family lives in coorg and we have a constant contact with elephants due to the Nagarahole forest around the district.

1) Drive really careful and slow in the forest area.
2) Do not stop in the forest and PLEASE do not get down from your car(Recently we had to shout at a group of 20 odd tourists who were walking around when their vehicle stopped due to a herd of elephants. Doesnt help the situation)
3) Do not honk, flash lights or go very close to the elephant. He does not get scared of your car or suv. The only thing which is a match is a KSRTC bus maybe.
4) When you see a elephant at a distance, stop your car but DO NOT turn your ignition off. You never know whats hiding in the bushes besides you.
5) Stay calm and dont make noise. You are in the elephants territory. Respect that.
6) Beware of single adults or herds with calves.
7) If the elephant walks towards your car go backwards. It will stop when it realises your not a threat.

Elephants are in good numbers in south india and especially in nagarahole please remember the bamboo has died so the next 2-3 yrs will see an increase in human elephant contact. Be aware.
maddy42 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 10:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

3) Do not honk, flash lights or go very close to the elephant. He does not get scared of your car or suv. The only thing which is a match is a KSRTC bus maybe.

Elephants are in good numbers in south india and especially in nagarahole please remember the bamboo has died so the next 2-3 yrs will see an increase in human elephant contact. Be aware.
Good points Maddy, +1 to those
There is no match to a 'rogue' elephant, not even a bus. I stayed in West Bengal in the Dooars area for few years where I have seen elephant attack twice. Once it was a herd looking for food. Second time, it was a single 'rogue' on the highway from Siliguri to Sevoke through Mahananda Wildlife santuary. the 'rogue' overturned couple of buses and a fully loaded truck with such a fury that it sent a shiver down my spice. Of course all the occupants of the bus/truck fled beforehand as the rogue was seen approaching. (off topic, me and three friends were on bicycles :P , so imagine our mental state)

I did not understand the point of bamboo has died. Do these elephants survive on bamboo ?
Old 1st November 2012, 12:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Few tips for all. My family lives in coorg and we have a constant contact with elephants due to the Nagarahole forest around the district.

+1 maddy. I have seen plenty of the so called educated people throwing food stuff at monkeys or deer, getting down near elephants to get that 'close' shot of the elephants. Even though there are lot of reports in the media about elephant attacks, I'm still surprised how people ignore warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
There is no match to a 'rogue' elephant, not even a bus. I stayed in West Bengal in the Dooars area for few years where I have seen elephant attack twice. Once it was a herd looking for food. Second time, it was a single 'rogue' on the highway from Siliguri to Sevoke through Mahananda Wildlife santuary. the 'rogue' overturned couple of buses and a fully loaded truck with such a fury that it sent a shiver down my spice. Of course all the occupants of the bus/truck fled beforehand as the rogue was seen approaching. (off topic, me and three friends were on bicycles :P , so imagine our mental state)

I did not understand the point of bamboo has died. Do these elephants survive on bamboo ?
You are right Ankan, a rogue elephant can cause more damage than anyone can imagine. An elephant in 'musth' has that extra adrenaline which makes it a handful to deal with. I can only imagine what you guys on bicycles felt with the elephant on rampage.

An elephant, rogue or not, is still dangerous and it would advisable to avoid whenever possible.

Bamboo is one of the staple foods for an elephant. If they don't find bamboo, they move out in search of it. During this time, when they come out of sanctuaries/parks, they come in contact with humans.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 13:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Bamboo forms one of the staple diet and the bamboo in nagarhole have died. This has resulted in increased in a increase of elephants in the estates next to it. Our family lives 15 kms away and was away from the route of constant route of the elephant. This year we did have a elephant loose way and walk past our area during 2pm which was shocking.
Old 1st November 2012, 13:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

A very scary experience indeed, it must have been a shock to see someone so seriously injured lying on the road. Did you get any further updates from anyone/anywhere?? I hope the injured person was rescued, though reading the description of his injuries and separated limbs, it's hard to believe that he will be alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Well, i was on the same route a week back (22nd Oct) and had seen the elephants just by the road. They didnt appear scary though!
That's very near!! Please be careful, elephants are one of the most dangerous creatures in any Indian forest.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7

That's very near!! Please be careful, elephants are one of the most dangerous creatures in any Indian forest.
Just a correction they are most dangerous when they are not comfortable..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks