Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 14:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Elephant Attack in the Bandipur Forest area?

Sharing a horrifying experience happened for my friend and family had in Bandipur forest road on Sunday 21st Oct.

He was on his way back to Bangalore from Kerala through Nilambur, Muthumalai, Bandipur route and was travelling with his wife and 2 kids. It was night around 8 pm and he noticed a car parked in Bandipur forest on a straight stretch. Thinking it’s an animal crossing he slowed down, suddenly he saw a lady in front of the car shouting accident (his wife says there was a girl along with the lady, but my friend does not recollect that). There was a bike in front of the car and it appeared to be minor accident, then to his horror he saw a man lying on the road (remember it is night in the forest and visibility is limited to reach of vehicle headlights). Man had his one leg and one hand separated from the body and it was lying in different direction and he was crying out loud. It was total shock for my friend and he stopped the car and was about to step out, then his wife shouted elephants. There was a herd of elephants all around his car (some were very near to the passenger window) and the herd was in an excited state. His impulsive action was to accelerate from the scene which he could manage. After covering around 500 mts from the scene, he noticed a mini truck that has slipped from the road in to the forest and there were few people on the road. He slowed down and they were shouting that “Annai is in Ushaar” (translation – Elephants are very active???) and that was too much for my friend and family to take. He sped away from the scene and stopped at the Bandipur forest exit check post and narrated the incident. Officials were aware about the Mini truck accident (one guy from truck was there at check post), but didn’t know about the car accident and they started to the spot immediately

My friend was in a short of shock (imagine the plight of his kids who witnessed all this) and didn’t wait for any further update and continued his trip. We have been scanning media for any reports on accidents/elephant attack etc on Bandipur stretch on that day, but none is been noticed till day

I found the whole stuff eerie as if taken out a Hollywood horror movie. My friend says it appeared like a minor accident and may not cause such gruesome injuries. Then was it an Elephant attack or a mugging plot or something supernatural (sorry to say the last one). Elephant attack I feel would have got a mention in the newspaper.

Did any fellow BHPians passed through that route same night to add more light to this accident. Let me repeat, it was Sunday 21st Oct around 8 PM

We sincerely hope that help reached the victims on time
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 16:03   #2
BHPian

re: Elephant Attack in the Bandipur Forest area?

This is a total nightmarish experience, your friend's wife was really alert to have spotted the elephants in time, else this could have turned into something. Elephants can do a considerable amount of damage, usually a rogue amongst the herd causes pandemonium.
A regular wild herd would want to avoid any possible conflict with humans and would move off the area quickly at the slightest doubt (read honking, cars passing)
Such situations do leave a big sense of guilt on the person who leaves after witnessing such a situation. I really feel bad for your friends kids, they must be in a state of shock.
Going by what you have described, it does sound like a major attack/accident, wondering how it didn't find any mention in the news.
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 16:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Elephant Attack in the Bandipur Forest area?

@gadadhar,
Did your friend see/hear about any injured elephant nearby. Bandipur is a national park with a fairly large elephant population. Chances are high that either the tempo/car or a previous vehicle had an accident or hit one of these animals (I would suspect the tempo considering the forest guards new about it) and hence the animals being agitated/attacking other vehicles. Or it could be that the animals were active due to other reasons.

Either way sad to hear the other car occupants had to face it. Pity your friend couldn't help, but his actions at that time are understandable.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 16:29   #4
BHPian

Good to know your friends are safe. Reserve forest rules say that you are not supposed to step out of the vehicle. By the way doesn't the forest gates close by 6pm ?
Old 30th October 2012, 17:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Elephant Attack in the Bandipur Forest area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
...from Kerala through Nilambur, Muthumalai, Bandipur route and was travelling with his wife and 2 kids. It was night around 8 pm ...

Taking one's family on a drive at night thru forest areas is definitely not a recommended thing at all.
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 17:50   #6
BHPian

@gadadhar : hope your friend and his family have recovered from this shocking incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

Taking one's family on a drive at night thru forest areas is definitely not a recommended thing at all.
as far as i remember the forest check post closes by 6pm and no vehicles are allowed inside.
deepak_ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 18:31   #7
BHPian

As far as I remember, Bandipur entry(from Gundulpet)/exit (to Gudalur) forest gates close at 8:30 to 9-00 PM. The Masinagudi gate closes at 9-00 PM. I was there in July, was driving from Masinagudi to Theppakadu(where I was staying); the roads inside forest are narrow and curvy, and dark, pitch-black. Its very much probable to hit animals just after a blind turn(although here OP says there was a open stretch). So its always better to plan travel in such a way that this forest area is crossed during day-time.

One more important point: Inside the jungle, specially in the middle (Theppakadu), only BSNL Cellone signal is available. Other operators' signal are available near the gates, not in the middle of the jungle-roads.

If there is a break-down, its very difficult to find mechanics. From my personal experience, the nearest mechanics available are in Masinagudi. Cross theppakadu, go towards Masinagudi; keep Masinagudo mosque on your left and go straight towards market area. there are few garages for emergency repair. But these guys deals only with diesel vehicles(ths is what the garages told me when my Ritz Zxi had a minor accident in Theppakadu). For petrol vehicles, you have to cross Masinagudi and go towards Kalhatti. 4.5 KMs after crossing Masinagudi, there is a small bus-stop, a small general provision store on the left and a garage on the right a few meters ahead. The name of the mechanic is Saiyad Siraj, he is from Orissa and knows repairing petrol cars. I took his mobile number too but lost it later.

P.S. : I have used the word 'Bandipur' to signify the total forest area of Bandipur(K'taka)+Mudumalai(T'nadu).

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 30th October 2012 at 18:52. Reason: added PS
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 21:21   #8
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 8th November 2012 at 15:44.
thalavoy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th October 2012, 21:42   #9
BHPian

This article is shocking: the car incident seems to be fishy! Was the front portion of the car damaged? Am sure with the elephants around you would have floored the pedal of your car!

It's a thick forest as I have travelled in this route about 2 years back during the day time. Best is to never take such routes during night time that too with family as you may encounter a stray animal or even a stray ghost!!

Last edited by zwift1819 : 30th October 2012 at 21:44.
zwift1819 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 22:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Not quite clear to me, perhaps I am wrong. Was the lady and the kid traveling with the attacked man in the bike?
Quote:
It was night around 8 pm and he noticed a car parked in Bandipur forest on a straight stretch. Thinking it’s an animal crossing he slowed down, suddenly he saw a lady in front of the car shouting accident (his wife says there was a girl along with the lady, but my friend does not recollect that
What about the occupants of this car ?
Old 30th October 2012, 22:44   #11
BHPian

Two years ago, my friend (Apache RTR) and I almost got had by an angry Elephant while riding my Ninja 250R through Bandipur in day time, though we did nothing to agitate him. After the Elephant had missed us, he (or she) got mad and started tearing up branches of the trees.

My good luck that I had a fast motorcycle, and bad luck that my helmet mounted GoPro ran out of batteries a few minutes before that incident happened.

That said, crossing Bandipur at night is a no no. Never done it, and never will.

Last edited by GTO : 8th November 2012 at 15:45. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 30th October 2012, 23:14   #12
BHPian

My Co-Brother had a close brush when coming back from Waynad forests last weekend, again with Elephants...there were 3 elephants which almost surrounded the car. He kept his wits and accelerated.

What i have heard is that , elephants have a pet peeve against bike sounds. Might be its the frequency or whatever, this might be anecdotal as well.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:13   #13
BHPian

little confused!

What caused the injury to the man? There was a bike lying there, which means the accident could have been between car and bike?

Elephants which are passing may have come around to "investigate" as they sometimes do. If the elephants had indeed vented their anger, the car and bike would not have been spared either?

It is for these reasons that we keep saying the road should be closed after 6pm, including for people living in Masinagudi area.

My friend and his wife also had a run-in with elephants on Sunday while returning to Bangalore from Masinagudi. Bunch of

retarded tourists from TN were parked at the side of the road where a herd of elephants stood grazing. The retards were

making cooing sounds and using flash photography when an irritated elephant charged. They managed to scoot away, and

my friend who had halted to see what the fuss was about got caught: his car, brand new i20, was smashed by a charging

elephant! 50k in damages is what I am hearing!

Last edited by bblost : 31st October 2012 at 10:24. Reason: back 2 back posts.
COUGAR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 11:05   #14
BHPian

I was on the same route on Saturday night (27th Oct 2012) and i did witness 2 elephants very very close to the road. I had never seen them so close in fact. It was a big elephant and a baby elephant.

In fact, we saw some elephants even while travelling to Coonoor (on 25th Oct). So, I am not at all surprised that elephants were sighted on this road.

The accident is very unfortunate. I hope some proper care was given to the injured man.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:17   #15
AWD
BHPian

Humans need to leave the animals alone. Already their lands have been encroached by haphazard settlements & remaining damage is done by poachers. Elephants are known to get "Mast" when testosterone rages in the adults.

In this incident narrated above, maybe the motor-cycle guy was hit by some other vehicle or tempo & the vehicle sped away.

Elephants in most areas are traumatized by humans & conflicts are bound to happen. Elephants don't forget!

Best to keep off forest/game reserves & let the wildlife have its own peace.
AWD is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks