Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:20   #1
BHPian

Scary experience with rowdy & violent bikers. A-Star damaged

I have been very shaken by this incident that I faced last night. I consider myself to be a safe driver, however being inexperienced I feel I am not at all ready to face rowdy and brash incidents with such motorists on the road and did not know exactly what to do and how to go about it. No one was injured, but the maniacal behaviour that followed is my concern.
I am a regular reader of t Bhp which explains the right procedures to go about such issues but I could not do anything at the spur of the moment as,

1) I was alone, the opposition were a group of about 5 - 6 rowdy and rash motor cyclists who had lost their cool completely perhaps because I was the only car on the way at the moment
2) 4 wheeler owners are always blamed for no mistake of their own

This happened at JP Road in Versova, Mumbai at around 11 pm. My case is a tad similar to fellow bhpian suhaas307's incident.

I was slowing down to park my vehicle on the left. And had flashed my indicators well in advance. As I was slowing, a group of fast bikers - maybe at 70 kph... A 2nd gen Bajaj Pulsar, a noisy exhaust RX 100 and a Yamaha Fazer were approaching swerving in a s shaped manner on the road. One of them of cut me from the right and went ahead. While the Fazer wanted to cut from left. He had to brake and slow down and lost his balance but did not fall down.

I had parked my car by then, the Fazer guy and his pillion then kept banging their fists on my window, he ordering me to get out of the car, I refused, and from the quarter rolled window said I had not done anything and apologized. I then started going ahead...
One of the bikers overtook and blocked my way, while the other was on the left shouting out abuses, while his pillion kept banging on the left passenger side window ordering me to roll down the window. I didn't budge but opened a few inches.

I was scared by then and was panicking. I wanted this to get over fast. My mind wasn't working. I couldn't bother to note down their registration numbers.
The guys got down and started kicking the door, banged on the windows trying to break it open. Fiddled with the orvms and wanted to vandalize the car.
It hurt me to see when one guy, from the 3 inch gap of the passenger window, started pulling it towards him repeatedly. This bent the window frame, rather expanded the window track, by which the window gets stuck or comes out of the track.
Another joined him and began twisting the left orvm 180 degrees and slammed it. It took him quite some time to break it when it finally fell off.

By then a crowd gathered, this was continuing while I was dealing with the people. Luckily some elderly gentlemen and ladies from the blocked traffic intervened and it got settled. I was shivering and did not get out of the car fearing any physical attack and requested my damaged orvm. I owe my life and safety to these good samaritans.

I drove ahead when the crowd settled.
There was no damage whatsoever to their bikes. The entire drama lasted ten minutes. However it was not over.

About 400 meters ahead they stopped me again, ordering me to slow down for a discussion. I did exactly that. They then demanded my license as they thought I am underage. They asked me if I was drunk. (I am a teetotaler) and then demanded money for their repairs (which is false) - they purposely threw the bike down back then. I managed to avoid that.

I did not wish to justify, I replied to what they asked, they saw me shaken. After some heated arguments that soon pacified, they left.

I do not wish to give a police complaint for my damaged orvm and bent window track as its a messy affair to deal with.
I do not have any evidence as there is no scratch or accident in both parties vehicles but that of full blown rage and anger.

This incident has left me shaken and in a bad taste. Not of helplessness but to be extremely aware and cautious as a motorist.
To be more tactful in dealing such situations.
People like them can have fun on the roads as they wish but not at the cost of good citizens.
I am grateful this did not involve any injuries or deaths even though at the cost of any damage to the car.
I am a motorcyclist too and I ensure that I am not a menace to motorists.

DRIVE SAFE, there are fools on the road.

PS : How much does an A* orvm cost?
Attached Thumbnails
Scary experience with rowdy & violent bikers. A-Star damaged-photo0214.jpg  

Scary experience with rowdy & violent bikers. A-Star damaged-photo0327.jpg  

Scary experience with rowdy & violent bikers. A-Star damaged-photo0224.jpg  

Scary experience with rowdy & violent bikers. A-Star damaged-photo0323.jpg  

ciddharth is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Scary experience with rowdy & violent bikers. A-Star damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
I was slowing down to park my vehicle on the left. And had flashed my indicators well in advance. As I was slowing, a group of fast bikers - maybe at 70 kph... A 2nd gen Bajaj Pulsar, a noisy exhaust RX 100 and a Yamaha Fazer were approaching swerving in a s shaped manner on the road.
God i hate those types of bikers! The types that ride in packs at twice the speed limit, can't ride in a straight line, and never ever wear helmets.

The sad part is that there are many incidents of even old men driving at 60 getting roughed up because one of these 'bikers' happened to 'get hit' by their car.

Advice: When you hear a mosquito bike coming, NEVER change lanes, never brake hard and never swerve.

Reason: They are always in packs. If you see a stupid guy zip past your right side dangerously at 120 km/h, you can be almost guaranteed that 2 seconds later there will be another one trying to pass you from your left side. They leave no room for error, so just carry on going straight at exactly the same speed until they all pass.

Glad to hear that there were some nice people around to help you.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd November 2012 at 14:40.
Rehaan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:59   #3
BHPian

This is shocking to say the least! Where is India heading to, Taliban style lawlessness.

The bikers who blocked the road in front of you is lucky that you didnt panic and gun the accelerator, else in situations like this panic can take over and before the driver realizes the biker would have been dragged several meters definitely with a loss of limb.

I had a similar incident when a biker hit my innova at a junction which he tried to negotiate at 80 plus. He just kissed the bumper and was thrown away 50 + feet on the opposite side. Dialed 100 and told him if you dont care for your own life don't expect me to take care of yours. Cops came gave statement, on humane grounds paid for is hospital bill. He had a broken ankle, broken wrist and bruises all over. He didn't have a license and was supposed to go to Dubai in 2 days for job (which he lost).

If you are alone in the car Dial 100 no matter what. On seeing you have called the cops most of the goons leave. Calling the cops is a back up plan which might be needed if the situation goes out of control.

You should have taken a bike rego no. and filed a complaint with police. God knows what they will do to someone else if they keep getting away easily.

I hope you recover fast from the trauma and yes as someone said keep distance from these terrors as much as possible.
tazmaan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:40   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys for your support here. I am definitely going to keep all of this is in mind. I am still new here on the forum to post stuff and actually did not know how to... but am an avid enthusiast of the site. And I had to share this as people do face similar situations. Thank you.
ciddharth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Shocking incident. As Tazmaan said earlier the best option is to dial 100 and not to enter into a debate or negotiation with these guys and most importantly never use bad words or lose one's temper. You did a good thing by not getting out of the car. In such situations it is best to let them know that cops are on their way , "we'll talk once they arrive."
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:04   #6
BHPian

I myself have experienced road rage twice. Learnt my lessons. Did a lot of reading on this forum. Following is what I decided to practice.

1. Do not get into a situation of road rage. Started practicing defensive driving.
2. If you do, try to flee from the spot, provided the area is not crowded.
3. Last, if it comes to confrontation, have a pepper spray ready as a defense. It is always there in the driver side pocket.

After those two incidents, am yet to experience road rage. Hopefully, the above rules will help me get out unscathed.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:07   #7
BHPian

Not just motorbikes, such morons come in all styles. Your incident reminded me of a similar one I had back in 2006. For people familiar with the Bhagat Tarachand restaurant in Turbhe, it is (was?) located in a small by lane from the main road. Cars that go to this restaurant often have to back up all the way about 75 mtrs as there isn't any space to turn around.

I was with a lady friend, and after we finished dinner, I was backing up my car. On the same by lane, there were about 4 or 5 boys walking out. I honked to let them know of my car behind them lest they get startled. However, this gesture had the exact opposite effect. They started gathering around my car and asked me to get out. Now, there was no way I was going to get into an argument with these guys, especially while having a lady friend with me. I continued backing up, when these guys started banging the passenger side window. Their rage was building every minute and I started reversing faster. As soon as I finished reversing and reached the road, these guys had started running towards my car. I put the car in 1st and gunned the accelerator. One of the guys tried kicking the passenger side window, while another kicked the passenger door pretty hard so as to create a dent. But of course, it was a Maruti Zen.

I was shaking and so was my friend. She was in tears. We couldn't file a complaint as there was no vehicle involved and I didn't remember the faces of those boys. However, I resolved not to go to such by lanes after dark, however good the restaurant may be.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
DueLLeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

I just read the title and knew it had to be in Mumbai. I don't know about other cities, but at least here anytime after 9pm these crazy idiots are out on the streets. They all roam around in packs of 2-8 bikes and will mess around with you if you do so much as give them a cold stare. Luckily I've never been in such an incident, but friends of mine have.

Believe me, there is nothing or no one I want to wipe of the roads more than these bikers. They go through red lights at 80kmph and expect the other side traffic to give them way. Taxis and other bikers are nothing compared to them. I just wish the Police would do something about them.

I don't know whether its ego, that they feel like they own the city. Or its resentment towards someone who has better things than them (in this case, a car) but I really hope these people learn a lesson.
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

That's a shocking incident! Such a shame to the name 'biker' :( It must have been a terrifying moment and a scarring memory. But you must allow yourself to heal and not empower those low-lifes to make you feel any worse.

I echo the same idea, dialing 100 should be the first plan upon facing any such incident. Police at night can gang up in an unbelievably fast time.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd November 2012 at 17:33. Reason: Post edited. Please use decent language on Team-BHP.
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Shocked to see such lawlessness but even more shocking is that almost no one talks about calling the police. Do you guys think calling the police is futile or is it that you are going to have a bigger problem in hand dealing with the cops?
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:03   #11
BHPian

shocking to hear the incident. Hope you are recovering. such incidents can get one very badly shaken and traumatized.

i do see such maniacal bikers in Hyderabad too! especially after 11 - a set of well to do kids with their super bikes drive at crazy speeds.

(though this may not be relevant to a city like Mumbai), in at least 10 states - there is a 911-like service - 108 which integrates ambulance, fire and police - you can call the number 108 and register your complaint in addition to calling 100 (if it is working efficiently) - the good thing is that the complaint is voice-recorded and you can ask for it to be retrieved later if necessary.

while the 100 number is local (not centralized for the whole city), BSNL routes it to the local police station depending on your location hence a fast response is possible.

these are some states where 108 is available - a caveat - please check if in the following states whether all the three services are rendered (police, ambulance and fire emergencies)

AP - all services (i have used it many times and was fairly effective, including nuisance of construction after 1030 PM)

TN, Assam, Karnataka, GOA, Gujarat, MP, Rajasthan, Chattisgarh, Uttarakhand understand that Orissa and Bihar have been added lately.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have seen numerous such gangs and in every area, more so near Versova, Bandra highway area, Mahim Tulsi Pipe Road, and South Bombay is full of these maniacs.

Always lock your doors while driving.
Let anything happen to the car, dont get out.
Never hurl abuses.

Just to remind you on what to do, take a printout that says ' Dial Police (100) for emergency' and stick it on the inside of your windscreen or dashboard.
This way even in most panic situations, your mind will read the print and atleast you will know the best way to handle the situation. Just a thought.

Drive safe.

OT - Would a in-car camera help in such cases, as to record whats goin on ahead of the car. i think in todays times, it can greatly help people who are involved in such issues.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:05   #13
NMS
BHPian

This is frankly very pathetic. I understand it gets very intimidating when 4-5 guys start behaving as if they want to bash you up.
As already suggested by Shipnil, do have a pepper spray in the car.
Also in such a situation, come out and speak to these guys, Straight !
Once people realize that you also can stand up and talk, half their hooliganism goes down the drain.
Always mention Police in your discussion very politely. And make sure under No circumstances do you raise your hand (atleast not the first party to do that) or abuse.
Trust me just mentioning very politely to call Police to Intervene has tremendous effect.

I do not support any road-rage and if a Moron passes by driving rashly, I do not bother to indulge in taking revenge or anything that might take the issue further. But I believe in being prepared for a situation, if someone is beyond reason. I do keep a baseball bat in my car. (Haven't had to use it in the past 7 years, and hope I don't need to for the rest of my life )

Last but not the least, every time you get in the car, be mentally prepared to meet many more such morons.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I just read the title and knew it had to be in Mumbai.....
As i read the title, Delhi came to my mind (remember rogue 'bikers' creating ruckus around VIP areas like India Gate not too long ago).

Such morons are everywhere - they are losers in life, have no regard for their life. I strongly have come to believe that if one couldn't care/bother for ones own well-being, they'd not give a damn about others'.

Best approach is to get out of the way of these idiots and back off, even if it hurts your pride a bit - someone you love (and who loves you) is waiting back at home.
Puneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

These morons seem to be everywhere. Let me narrate an incident which happened in march 2012.

I went on a drive to Nanjangud with my wife in the Liva. We started from Nanjangud at around 6.30 pm. About 6-7 kms into the journey there were these 2 idiots with pillions riding the bike in the middle of the highway. One Karizma and One pulsar 180. They were blocking the traffic as there were drunk (which I got to know later) and did not bother to give way for other vehicles. People who have traveled in this road on a weekend would know that the traffic is heavy.

Waited patiently till they slowed down at one of the humps and over took them. This pissed them off and they over took me and started banging on the both the driver side and passenger side hurtling abuses. I slowed down, since there was on coming traffic, they had to overtake me and move ahead again blocking the way. My wife was terrified at that moment. I simply called 100 and passed on the bike registration numbers and my car registration number to the control room. I guess those idiots stopped for a smoke. I went ahead and stopped over at the check post near the ring road and narrated the incident to cops there who had already received the wireless message (was glad that the control room guys did that). They asked me to park the car a little away from the road so that it is not visible.

After waiting for about 10-15 mins, those idiots were riding happily without knowing what was waiting ahead for them. The inspector there on duty pulled them over. After I confirmed these were the guys, they asked me to lodge a complaint to which I refused and told them it will be difficult for me to handle this from Bangalore. The inspector did understand it and simply put them into the jeep and asked the constables to get the bike to the station.

I moved on from there and not sure what happened to those idiots.

PS: Another person driving in his car joined me at the check post which strengthened the claim.

The bikers were not having any lid or any safety gear. They were drunk, were riding carelessly and they were students from Chamarajanagar Town.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 22nd November 2012 at 17:43.
nkrishnap is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks