Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 22:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Bad experience in Pune : Close shave with hooligans

More and more i read this the more and more i am convinced i want to get a DVR camera mounted on my car just have some evidence.

As many others pointed out, just move on. In reality being scared and running away over speeding would only result it one stupid mistake to repent later.

Never run for you will be caught. No matter what. Instead look at calling cops or some localites for help.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:59   #17
BHPian

Trojan - Hopeless is the word.

I have been born and brought up in Pradhikaran and I feel sad the way these hooligans are becoming a bigger menace day by day. What is worse is the police are not bothered one bit.

The hooligans that you mentioned are from the nearby slum in Bijlinagar who often own these white Indicas that ply as cabs for various companies in Hinjewadi.

Might sound strange, but my advice to you is just forget this incident and move on. These hooligan's memory is normally acute when it comes to such incidents as they get new bakras practically everyday.

Taking them on would have been a good idea had our police been passionate about their duty and our law strong and flawless enough to teach them a good lesson. I do not want to sound like a pessimist here, but let's admit the reality that we live in a country that has no respect for law and order whatsoever!! Believe me, the mental harassment one has to go through while dealing with the cops is not at all worth it. They'll make you feel as if you are the hooligan and the hooligans are actually the heroes!

So, in such incidents, "forget and move on" is the logical choice..

O.T - We should catch up sometime. PCMC Bhpians do meet on a regular basis.

Cheers.
ironshark is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 23:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest an idea, just to see if they remember your car or not.

Take some friends with you. Take the same car ask one of your friends to be with you in the car, the rest can follow you in another vehicle but at a distance. Do this at a time when they are normally hanging around. Park your car at any place visible to them or perhaps go and talk with them like asking for some adress or something. 95% they would have forgotten the incident and wont recognize you or your car. If that is the case, it takes a huge burden off your mind. 5% chance that they do recognize you, there is always back up to help in case things turn ugly. By back up I dont mean they come and start fighting along side you, but they act as strangers, trying to diffuse the issue.
This is just a suggestion to find out if they recognize you or not. I am not intending that you should take your friends and go there for an altercation. Even if things turn ugly, the second batch of friends come in as strangers to solve the problem not as your friends to help you fight.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 23:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear your story but I am glad you came home safe.

I had a similar incident in MUNDHWA. I was returning from PUNE - MUMBAI mega meet. I overtook a verna guy with just a flash of light and no horn. He was caught un-awares and started chasing me. This was at 1 AM. I was able to out run him and squeeze in front of a truck and my home was near by.

As discussed on the other thread, reach a police station or call 100 is the best option to deal with these hooligans.

I am actively looking for a CAR DVR, there is no thread on TBHP for car dvr's too. After my initial research will open one and discuss the best options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

This is just a suggestion to find out if they recognize you or not. I am not intending that you should take your friends and go there for an altercation. Even if things turn ugly, the second batch of friends come in as strangers to solve the problem not as your friends to help you fight.
Un- neccesary, I would say. There is pretty good chance that they wont remember the car. Their only intention is to grab money for that day. They get in to such situations almost everyday.

Last edited by F150 : 28th November 2012 at 23:11.
Old 28th November 2012, 23:09   #20
BHPian

What I gather is these are low life hooligans, but you never know how much goondaism they possess in them. And such people are very volatile to deal with, even if you know what you are doing.

However, their attention span is very poor, and so is their memory. Thats why they have remained low life!!

I would recommend that next time you drop your friend, park your car before the final turn and then walk her to her home. Continue this for the next 2-3 months, and by that time their memories would have completely blanked out.

Since they dont know you personally, they will not interfere when you are walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

Take some friends with you. Take the same car ask one of your friends to be with you in the car, the rest can follow you in another vehicle but at a distance. Do this at a time when they are normally hanging around. Park your car at any place visible to them or perhaps go and talk with them like asking for some adress or something. 95% they would have forgotten the incident and wont recognize you or your car. If that is the case, it takes a huge burden off your mind. 5% chance that they do recognize you, there is always back up to help in case things turn ugly. By back up I dont mean they come and start fighting along side you, but they act as strangers, trying to diffuse the issue.
I was going to say this, but decided against it because of only one reason: political connections. In Pune, it is very difficult to handle hooligans directly because usually they are on the bottom rungs of some political party. And unlike Delhi, Mumbai, etc, it is very difficult to bluff your way through if you dont have political / family connections of your own.

So in case this turns into an altercation, it is very easy for them to call 25-50 people from the nearby slum and make it a major brawl. In that case, you and your friends stand at risk.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th November 2012 at 00:31.
Old 28th November 2012, 23:19   #21
BHPian

Things happen in the heat of the moment and it usually ends there. I think the issue here is it is at the back of your mind, and you need to address and resolve this.

In India the big problem is we have a largish lumpen element who are usually aligned with political parties who have nothing to lose and usually behave in a overly agressive manner, then we have the middle classes who have everything to lose, and the rich and well connected who can't be touched. The law works best for the best connected. You may be connected but if the other party is better connected you are going to get the full force of the law.

In the heat of the moment its doesn't matter whose fault it is, its numbers and prejudices that come into play from all sides and whoever is outnumbered gets it.

You reaction at them moment was appropriate, you had your wife with you. The problem with getting away in a frenzy is the high possibility of getting involved in an accident and that can compound matters.

You need to go and talk to these guys during the day and resolve this. It was a trivial matter, post incident all parties will have a relaxed perspective. You don't need to take your friends or anything, this is their area so thats going to make a difference. Understand their point of view, express your point of view, apologize if necessary and shake hands and move on.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 23:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
I was going to say this, but decided against it because of only one reason: political connections. In Pune, it is very difficult to handle hooligans directly because usually they are on the bottom rungs of some political party. And unlike Delhi, Mumbai, etc, it is very difficult to bluff your way through if you dont have political / family connections of your own.

So in case this turns into an altercation, it is very easy for them to call 25-50 people from the nearby slum and make it a major brawl. In that case, you and your friends stand at risk.

I was banking on the assumption that they would ve forgotten. However you are right it may turn ugly. Specially if they are slum dwellers or sort who can get 20-25 people quickly. Too much of a risk I guess on second thoughts.

Well then it is back to using the Jeep or Bike for some time I guess.
Old 29th November 2012, 00:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
More and more i read this the more and more i am convinced i want to get a DVR camera mounted on my car just have some evidence.

As many others pointed out, just move on. In reality being scared and running away over speeding would only result it one stupid mistake to repent later.

Never run for you will be caught. No matter what. Instead look at calling cops or some localites for help.
Not sure how a DVR camera could have helped in this situation. And in that situation what he did was apt, as standing up against 5 hooligans who wanted to create a scene was not the most advisable thing to do. He swiftly moved and parked his car at a safe place. I don't think that taking care of personal safety first was a mistake

Last edited by onesomeone : 29th November 2012 at 00:07.
Old 29th November 2012, 00:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

I am actively looking for a CAR DVR, there is no thread on TBHP for car dvr's too. After my initial research will open one and discuss the best .
Thread is already there. Since I am using mobile app right now, I am unable to search and paste the thread title. Shall do so tomorrow.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:23   #25
BHPian

Actually, in such OVRM run-ins it's better not to stop at all & continue at same or slightly reduced speed. I've had a couple of run-in's like this.

If you stop & lower your window, it's taken as a sign of aggression by these retarded people.

Last edited by bblost : 29th November 2012 at 11:37. Reason: Please do NOT use foul language on the forum. Thanks.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think what you did was probably the best thing to do, given the circumstances. It doesn't make sense to take on 5 guys who have nothing to lose irrespective of whether you're alone or with friends/family.

Another thing I can think of, is not to drive home if the goons give you a chase. The last thing I'd want is for them to know where I stay !
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 10:15   #27
BHPian

I have few ideas and suggestions

a. Change the color of the car if not possible change the vehicle.
b. Change the Team BHP sticker and stick it on a different side
c. Ask your wife's friend to meet you in your home or at a different location.
d. If possible take your friends along with you.
e. Complain with the police only if you have an good influence with them.
f. Better to join a self defense class to improve your confidence and stamina.
g. If possible join a political movement and carry there flag in front of your car.
h. Going viral through media or seeking support of Mr. KegriwalGoing public through media or seeking support of Mr.Kejriwal.
i. Try to imitate or fake as if you are also a hooligan by coloring hair red,wearing ear rings, dog chains, hip chains, tattoo, head & hand band, sleeveless & worn out wears, crocodile boots etc.
j. Pepper spray, hockey stick, baseball baton, chilli powder, police whistle, fake police or CBI ID as last resort.
k. If any of the above does not work out buy a bottle of hard water and catch the hooligans feet and ask apology.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 29th November 2012 at 10:34.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:42   #28
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post

a. Change the color of the car if not possible change the vehicle.
b. Change the Team BHP sticker and stick it on a different side
c. Ask your wife's friend to meet you in your home or at a different location.
d. If possible take your friends along with you.
e. Complain with the police only if you have an good influence with them.
f. Better to join a self defense class to improve your confidence and stamina.
g. If possible join a political movement and carry there flag in front of your car.
h. Going viral through media or seeking support of Mr. KegriwalGoing public through media or seeking support of Mr.Kejriwal.
i. Try to imitate or fake as if you are also a hooligan by coloring hair red,wearing ear rings, dog chains, hip chains, tattoo, head & hand band, sleeveless & worn out wears, crocodile boots etc.
j. Pepper spray, hockey stick, baseball baton, chilli powder, police whistle, fake police or CBI ID as last resort.
k. If any of the above does not work out buy a bottle of hard water and catch the hooligans feet and ask apology.
You sure have a wicked sense of humour.

BUT, please do note the seriousness of the incident.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 11:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post

i. Try to imitate or fake as if you are also a hooligan by coloring hair red,wearing ear rings, dog chains, hip chains, tattoo, head & hand band, sleeveless & worn out wears, crocodile boots etc..
Lol you have seriously got a wicked sense of humor

All in all its best to forget this incident and move on by avoiding that area for a few weeks in the i10.
Old 29th November 2012, 11:48   #30
BHPian

Life in hindsight is always easy. It's easy for all of us to comment on what you should have done or how you should have demonstrated more courage however, what one does at that moment is what matters. Considering the safety of your wife, you did the correct thing. There's is a very thin line between bravery and stupidity, it's good that you used your brain (parking behind cars) than letting adrenaline take over. The chances of these hooligans being well connected seem less so, you should wait for some time and their focus would shift to some other unlawful task by then. If that's not the case and you feel they are trying to find you, then you should seek police's intervention.

God forbid, if you ever face a similar situation again just do what you did this time as safety of your beloved is much more important than your physical courage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks