Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 18:02   #1
BHPian

Bad experience in Pune : Close shave with hooligans

This incident happened 2-3 weeks back, I was driving with my wife and one of her friends, we were on the way to drop her home which is in Bijalinagar, Chincwad. This place must be around 2kms from where we stay so it is in the vicinity.

The final turn to reach her place is one next to the railway tracks, the road though narrow is still pretty wide to accommodate 2 vehicles easily. On this road on one side residents also park their cars. So if there are 2 cars approaching from opposite directions, it is still possible though one needs to be careful.

Now on that day, we were on our way and I saw an Indica approaching us in high speed. I kept to the extreme left of the road very close a parked car as I felt this guy was not quiet driving well. In due course I reduced my speed to around 10kmph, the indica had ample space to his left to have gone without incident, but for some unknown reason (maybe because he saw a female in the front seat) he tried to cut me and swerved dangerously close to our car.
This resulted in our ORVMs colliding, my i10 ORVM closed, I stopped the car to check for any damage to it, while still sitting inside.

The indica was so fast that it took some time to stop, I waited for them, thinking they might want to talk or maybe at least acknowledge whatever happened.

They also stopped and after waiting for around a minute, we decided to put it behind us and move ahead. At that time I thought that the car was turning, but didn't pay too much attention. Around 300mts from that spot was our friends house, after dropping her we turned back.
To our horror we saw that the indica had turned back and was headed towards us, I managed to dodge them in the nick of time the guys (numbering 5) had already opened the doors and were abusing us and wanted us to stop. Looking at this I had absolutely no intention of stopping especially when I had my wife with me. I sped away and guess what they started following us, I got some headway as they had to take a u-turn, but I could see they were coming madly at us.
I try to move as fast as possible but the neighbourhood is quiet busy, somehow maintained distance, I was trying to aim for the nearest police station or at least reach my neighbourhood where I could probably handle this better.

I crossed Sambhaji Chowk in Pradhikaran and managed to enter a by-lane and parked behind some cars, and we saw the indica zoom ahead missing the turn.

Both of us were in shock, we had plans of going out that day which had to be canned as my wife was too scared to venture out. I had seen the car well (including registration) it was a pretty old and run down commercial vehicle.

Now this Sunday, incidentally we went to visit our friend again luckily (I would say) on my bike. I didn't tell this to my wife but I saw the indica parked over there with those guys standing nearby!

Now my questions/concerns are-

- How do I tackle this situation? Apparently they stay/hangout in the vicinity of our friends house and we do visit them often
- What action can be taken, I have the registration numbers, the guys are typical hooligans who like to get into brawls, but they were 'unable' to do anything to us but this cannot be said of the future and am sure this is their way of life and would be harassing others as well.
- I am quiet concerned as I am sure, if they would recognize us they might want to cause some altercation, and I am usually travelling with my wife and our tiny tot. My car can be recognized due to the T-BHP sticker.
- It is becoming continuously dangerous to travel in Pune, amount of lawlessness has increased manifold, how should one deal with such incidents.

I really wish I was travelling in my Jeep that day things might have turned differently. What is most frustrating is the helplessness that one goes through during such times.

Please advise.
Trojan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 18:17   #2
BHPian

re: Bad experience in Pune : Close shave with hooligans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
This incident happened 2-3 weeks back, I was driving with my wife and one of her friends, we were on the way to drop her home which is in Bijalinagar, Chincwad. This place must be around 2kms from where we stay so it is in the vicinity.
I think you are thinking lot on the subject. I suggest let it go this time, forget about the incident. If by chance they recognize your car next time, stop and talk to them. Tell them that it was not your mistake and you are ready to talk or go to police in case they want anything.

I can understand your situation but instead of speeding away from them is not solution, you should have talked to them patiently.

This have happened to me as well and believe me it was my mistake as I missed there bike because of A pillar and night. But what I did is stopped and said "Sorry dada mala disla nahi" "Sorry brother I didn't saw you". He was in mood to fight with me but he claimed down and went in like he lost something as I didn't showed any interest in fight.

Things works just one need to under stand situation.

Thanks,
Vishal

Last edited by Eddy : 28th November 2012 at 21:00. Reason: Please do not quote a long post. It hampers readability for our small screen users. Thanks
Thar4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 18:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed a scary incident.
I think you should go to the police and narrate this incident to them. Maybe persuade them somehow to have a "conversation" with the hooligans or to help settle the matter.
In any case, taking them on on your own is definitely not advisable.
Good luck!
By the way, how would traveling in jeep have made any difference? Maybe you should take the jeep out more often if it helps?
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 18:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I think you are thinking lot on the subject. I suggest let it go this time, forget about the incident. If by chance they recognize your car next time, stop and talk to them. Tell them that it was not your mistake and you are ready to talk or go to police in case they want anything.

I can understand your situation but instead of speeding away from them is not solution, you should have talked to them patiently.

This have happened to me as well and believe me it was my mistake as I missed there bike because of A pillar and night. But what I did is stopped and said "Sorry dada mala disla nahi" "Sorry brother I didn't saw you". He was in mood to fight with me but he claimed down and went in like he lost something as I didn't showed any interest in fight.

Thanks,
Vishal
Youre lucky you got away.
5 guys in a commercially reg'd vehicle?
I dont think this would have turned out to be anything but ugly.

In such a case, especially with a loved one with oneself, you did the right thing in rushing off, and trying to get to a safe place.
While I was reading, i ket saying "head home, head to a police station!", and you mentioned the same in the next sentence.

Only thing to do is put it behind you.
There is nothing to be gained by stopping in the state that you were in(by that i mean alone and with your wife on board)
There's good, and there's average people, so its a given that there are equal number of bad people too. and you ran into a few.
Old 28th November 2012, 18:28   #5
BHPian

Vishal (Thar4X4), from what we read here daily, forgetting it completely and getting back to normal is a bit of risk that too Trojan has to go to that place frequently.

There are two options,

Stay away from that place for atleast a month and remove TBHP stickers for about 3 Months. Then also swap the sticker positions.

The other option is, take help from your friend, since they are located nearby, talk to them and get into good terms with them. May be apologise and get it over. The mental peace is much worth comparing with going down on with a Low-life folks
Old 28th November 2012, 18:34   #6
BHPian

Something like this had occurred with fellow BHPian ciddharth. It was a group of rowdy bikers, that time in Mumbai. He has penned down his experience here.

If you would have stopped, and tried to talk, there was possibility that they might have wanted to cause you harm, moreover, a lady being with you. If you were sure that they were following you, you should have informed the police. Just look out for couple of more days and even ask your friend that does he spot their car near his residence? If so, you can contact the cops.

There have been instances in the past, where people actually take the TeamBHP stickers as some racer sticker and get agitated.

In case, it happens again, never ever get out of the car. Let them damage the car if they want to damage, the damage to the car can be repaired easily, but broken bones cannot!

Drive Safe!
Old 28th November 2012, 18:38   #7
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now my questions/concerns are-

- How do I tackle this situation? Apparently they stay/hangout in the vicinity of our friends house and we do visit them often
- What action can be taken, I have the registration numbers, the guys are typical hooligans who like to get into brawls, but they were 'unable' to do anything to us but this cannot be said of the future and am sure this is their way of life and would be harassing others as well.
Sorry to hear about the ordeal you and wife had to go through.

If you know anyone at your local police station or you can somehow find a connection, do approach the police. Without connection, the police would most likely not even register a NC. I am not trying to underplay what happened, but from a police/law perspective, they really do something only 'after' a crime has happened, which in this case is not the case.

If you can not approach the police, let the matter go. Forget about it.

You haven't mentioned at what hour of the day the incident happened. 99% they won't be able to recognize your vehicle next time if the original incident happened at night. Even if they do recognize the vehicle, as time passes, the urge from their side to get into a confrontation would also subside.

In the most unfortunate coincidence that you do encounter these folks again, don't lose your patience. Don't step out of the car. Don't argue. Don't blame, don't accept any blame. Don't teach/preach. Offer to come to the police station if they believe that you did something wrong. If they still insist on hurting you or the car, call the police or drive to the police station. They might chase, but that's ok. Nobody with even a miligram of brain would try to rear-end or side-sweep your car just to make you stop. That happens only in movies. Highly unlikely in real life. Stay cool. Don't worry.

Last edited by SDP : 28th November 2012 at 18:50.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 18:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Vishal
It's a wrong attitude to take such an incident so casually. It's also wrong to overestimate someone and underestimate yourself, but only the person on the spot i.e. Trojan can decide what state of mind he is in. If he is worried, then he is worried and most probably with good reason. Usually hooligans will target you depending upon the type of car you drive and if they perceive you as vulnerable like for instance one is travelling with their wife etc. Since 5 men together naturally feel like they have the upper hand.

Trojan my advice to you is always be prepared for any eventuality.
Old 28th November 2012, 18:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
- I am quiet concerned as I am sure, if they would recognize us they might want to cause some altercation, and I am usually travelling with my wife and our tiny tot. My car can be recognized due to the T-BHP sticker.
- It is becoming continuously dangerous to travel in Pune, amount of lawlessness has increased manifold, how should one deal with such incidents.

I really wish I was travelling in my Jeep that day things might have turned differently. What is most frustrating is the helplessness that one goes through during such times.

Please advise.
1. Try not taking your car there for some time , we do not know who these guys are. I have lived in Pune for 2 years in Hadapsar you just do not know who is capable of what.

2. To deal with people like these you have 2 options one is Police the other is getting your own muscle. Again with police, they would know them and it would mean more trouble for you again ( really sorry for saying it , but this is how it is). Bringing in your own muscle depends on how far you can go and how high you have reach. Goondas have ample amount of time with them which people like you and me do not have.

Best is just leave this behind, visit the place in your bike or Jeep for some time just in case they remember your registration number.

It's really sad that things like these are getting common not only in Metro, but also in small cities like Hubli to, where even giving way or backing up ones car to make way becomes an ego issue for some. I do understand the feeling of helplessness in such cases but even when you have the muscle to deal with elements like these you need to go down to their level.

MP
Old 28th November 2012, 19:37   #10
BHPian

Thanks for all your responses

Quote:
I think you are thinking lot on the subject. I suggest let it go this time, forget about the incident. If by chance they recognize your car next time, stop and talk to them. I can understand your situation but instead of speeding away from them is not solution, you should have talked to them patiently.
Hi Vishal,

I think you did not read the post totally, I did stop and wait for a minute to see if they wanted to talk, such things happen in daily life and we should let go which we did by moving ahead post waiting!

a. Any sane guy who wants to just talk would not try to come head-on towards you after 5-10mins and start abusing even though it was nothing major and the presence of ladies demands some respect (I think)
b. No person who wants to just talk, will chase you like a crazy moron for 3-4 kms if they wanted to, they would have just signalled and I was anyways waiting for them.
c. Maybe I am thinking too much but I guess you would too if you travel at odd hours with your loved ones. This incident happened at 530pm so these guys have some gall to behave this way at such a time.
d. I never fled from the scene, I was thinking about my family's safety and was looking for the first policeman I could find and then stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That is indeed a scary incident.
I think you should go to the police and narrate this incident to them. Maybe persuade them somehow to have a "conversation" with the hooligans or to help settle the matter.
By the way, how would traveling in jeep have made any difference? Maybe you should take the jeep out more often if it helps?
Thanks Amitoj, we thought about the same, but somehow don't want to take the chance of coming into view and being recognised by the lot.
The part of PCMC I stay in usually SUVs and Jeeps get a little more respect compared to smaller vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Youre lucky you got away.
5 guys in a commercially reg'd vehicle?
I dont think this would have turned out to be anything but ugly.

While I was reading, i ket saying "head home, head to a police station!", and you mentioned the same in the next sentence.
Only thing to do is put it behind you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Vishal (Thar4X4), from what we read here daily, forgetting it completely and getting back to normal is a bit of risk that too Trojan has to go to that place frequently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Something like this had occurred with fellow BHPian ciddharth.
Drive Safe!
Yes I have read this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sorry to hear about the ordeal you and wife had to go through.

If you know anyone at your local police station or you can somehow find a connection, do approach the police. Without connection, the police would most likely not even register a NC. I am not trying to underplay what happened, but from a police/law perspective, they really do something only 'after' a crime has happened, which in this case is not the case.
Exactly my thoughts, we thought at the moment itself to approach the cops, but we were like what are we going to tell them, we don't have any evidence, nothing happened as such. If we would have spotted a cop on the road then at least we could have pointed out the vehicle and after being signalled to stop by a policeman if they don't then it would have been something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
It's a wrong attitude to take such an incident so casually. It's also wrong to overestimate someone and underestimate yourself, but only the person on the spot i.e. Trojan can decide what state of mind he is in. If he is worried, then he is worried and most probably with good reason. Usually hooligans will target you depending upon the type of car you drive and if they perceive you as vulnerable like for instance one is travelling with their wife etc. Since 5 men together naturally feel like they have the upper hand.

Trojan my advice to you is always be prepared for any eventuality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
1. Try not taking your car there for some time , we do not know who these guys are. I have lived in Pune for 2 years in Hadapsar you just do not know who is capable of what.
Best is just leave this behind, visit the place in your bike or Jeep for some time just in case they remember your registration number.
MP
Thanks a lot guys, this incident happened at 530pm, which was major cause of concern for me, if these people can behave this way at such a peak time, god knows how or what they would be up to at odd hours.

I have been living in Pune since last 11 years and as such while driving you encounter many instances, but this by far takes the cake.
The way the guys came hurtling to my car if I had not moved it off on time, they were bound to dash it (maybe unintentionally or maybe just to come screeching to a halt to intimidate) but can't take chances.

The house belongs to my wifes school friend again a girl and she lives with her old parents so can't expect much from her.

What we are doing at present is to avoid going there in the car and if possible avoid going there all together.
But at the moment we are just keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 28th November 2012, 20:21   #11
BHPian

I read the episode, sad ineeed. Also I read all the responses most of them advicing you to stay mum and avoid the road etc etc. Are we all so scared to stand up against such hooligans? Comeon we can do much better than that. You have the registration no. and also you know where do these guys hang around. Irrespective of who was at fault but chasing, threating is certainly not acceptable by any means. The least you can do is approach the police station in the vicinity and seek their help on how could this case could be reported or dealt. See if they take any action or not, atleast make an attempt. By not taking any action you are letting these hooligans continue behaving or go further worse if left scot free. My 2 cents

Last edited by onesomeone : 28th November 2012 at 20:30.
onesomeone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 21:31   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone
I read the episode, sad ineeed. Also I read all the responses most of them advicing you to stay mum and avoid the road etc etc. Are we all so scared to stand up against such hooligans? Comeon we can do much better than that. You have the registration no. and also you know where do these guys hang around. Irrespective of who was at fault but chasing, threating is certainly not acceptable by any means. The least you can do is approach the police station in the vicinity and seek their help on how could this case could be reported or dealt. See if they take any action or not, atleast make an attempt. By not taking any action you are letting these hooligans continue behaving or go further worse if left scot free. My 2 cents
If you read the responses, that is the option everyone is asking him to exercise.
All anyone has asked is to avoid confrontation, especially considering his situation, and the numbers.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 21:58   #13
BHPian

Guys, don't rush on decision. I am from same city as Torjan and hence advising depend on my experience here. I can totally understand the danger he faced but remembering it is of no use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
True, I know that and I use to care a lot when I was new in Pune but how long you will live that type of life.

Quote:
Hi Vishal,

I think you did not read the post totally, I did stop and wait for a minute to see if they wanted to talk, such things happen in daily life and we should let go which we did by moving ahead post waiting!

a. Any sane guy who wants to just talk would not try to come head-on towards you after 5-10mins and start abusing even though it was nothing major and the presence of ladies demands some respect (I think)
b. No person who wants to just talk, will chase you like a crazy moron for 3-4 kms if they wanted to, they would have just signalled and I was anyways waiting for them.
c. Maybe I am thinking too much but I guess you would too if you travel at odd hours with your loved ones. This incident happened at 530pm so these guys have some gall to behave this way at such a time.
d. I never fled from the scene, I was thinking about my family's safety and was looking for the first policeman I could find and then stop.
Yes totally agree with your points and I still say whatever you did is right, I just narrated my incident. I have read your post totally (I don't leave this type of thread as I learn lot from it.) but there is no specific solution to this so I again suggest to forget it.

As suggested by others, let's say if you go to police and police take your complaint and approach those guys. There is big chance that they will take it personally with more intensity rather than closing the matter. AND we know how police are helpful.

As said by SDP I too think that they could have definitely forget about the incident(may be they would have did that under influence of alcohol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
True but this step will be good only if they remember Torjans's car and try to stop him again.

Most of the time these are the guys you drive company cabs and use the same for outing (in there type) and "masti". So mostly there are less chance that they will remember and come again.

MOD: sorry for back to back posting, please merge the post in above.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th November 2012 at 11:59.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 22:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its better to be safe than sorry.
Thank God that stars were on your side and you both are safe.
I come across such jerks pretty often,and till date either i outran them,or came out after a verbal duel;sometimes my blood boils and i wish,if running over these sort of people was legal.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 22:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Since you have more than 1 vehicle i would say simply take any other than the I-10.Do not escalate things etc.As time passes by things will cool off.I am assuming those people haven't seen your faces so i think your Jeep or bike would mask your identity when you go visting your friends.

Put the incident behind without stretching things further.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th November 2012 at 22:39.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks