Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:13   #16
BHPian

Talk about stupidity. Unfortunate indeed. May his soul RIP.

Recently on whitefield road there was a jam. So there were 2 slow moving lanes on the road towards kundanhalli signal. I was on the right lane driving slowly. Suddenly the verna on my left came dangerously close to my vehicle and kissed my left front. Had I not braked it would have been more dangerous. I went next to him, rolled my window down and said what was he doing? The impunity with which he replied was ahocking.he said you should watch your left, not his fault. When I replied you veer into my lane from my blind side how is it my fault? The guy got upset. Well I calmly told him - you look a well educated bloke, don't you know lane concept. Do you behave like this at home too? Blaming your family for your mistakes? This cooled him off and he kept staring at me.

Why so much rage?
Old 22nd February 2013, 13:53   #17
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Road Rage Victim & Theater Personality AN Ramesh Dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Iam just smarting from an incident. ...

Got out and listened to him hurl hurl abuses about my parentage.

He flipped and took pictures of the car and me, I did like-wise and he slammed my phone out of my hand.

He flung my key across the road and drove off. Folks around told me to cool it and carry on.

Note- having passed my Krav Maga G1 self defence. I could have taken him down but my life was not in danger. ...
He verbally abused you. He snatched and then eventually threw away your key. He slammed your phone out of your hand. And you still maintained your cool. Hats off to your self-control!
Old 22nd February 2013, 14:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

I think road rage is becoming a common incident in most of the Indian cities now-a-days.

Somehow, I do not understand that roads are getting better & cars are getting even better (climate control, very comfortable seats, etc), but still the people who drive are frustrated & ready to throw abuses on others at smallest provocation. Probably the numbers of Cars on roads are increasing at a higher rate than passengers in Mumbai local trains.

It seems to me that somewhere / somehow people have forgot the virtue called "Patience" & are always in a hurry to get some work done or to reach at some place on time. I read somewhere that human mind is practically capable of doing only one thing at a time. But now-a-days multi-tasking is a basic essential. You are called old-fashioned, if you do not multi-task.

I feel our mentality of getting first rank - be in school or in office appraisals or clocking Sales figures is taking toll on us. I seems to me that it is high time to teach ourselves & our children the virtue of humanity more than success.

RIP AN Ramesh, hope atleast a few drivers learn from your case & keep their cool on road.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
I mean some people have just lost the sense of being humans. I cant understand why people are so angry and frustrated? Why so much anger and hatred?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Why so much rage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
And you still maintained your cool. Hats off to your self-control!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
It seems to me that somewhere / somehow people have forgot the virtue called "Patience"
We know what exactly people are missing now a days. May be some of it is due to upbringing and schooling.

I always think loosing our virtues is more dangerous to the extinction of humanity than any terrorism or natural disasters. We will be dead while living.

May his soul rest in peace.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:34   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

He verbally abused you. He snatched and then eventually threw away your key. He slammed your phone out of your hand. And you still maintained your cool. Hats off to your self-control!
I also forgot to mention that I am also studying Krav Maga ( an Israeli self defence technique). I barely passed the first level but I knew enough to take him down but only if he attacked me. I like to think that knowing I could handle an attack meant that I maintained my cool.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Krav Maga ( an Israeli self defence technique)...knowing I could handle an attack meant that I maintained my cool.
Using your training to defend, not attack is one of the principles of any self-defence technique I guess. Ajmat, I hope the incident hasn't got you down mentally. You handled it most admirably!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:43   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post

Using your training to defend, not attack is one of the principles of any self-defence technique I guess. Ajmat, I hope the incident hasn't got you down mentally. You handled it most admirably!

Cheers,
Rahul
Regrettably,it has, I have been mentally wanting to have kicked and punched him senseless. Saying that, the crowd watching were aching for a fight but I walked outwit ya lot of respect. The auto guys told me, he is a bad person but you acted properly, leave him now
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Iam just smarting from an incident. At Manipal centre, a new Honda city ka03mq5556 was in the wrong lane turning right.i honked. He would not budge. So I went to the left of him and our mirrors touched. He overtook me on the left and blocked me. I tried opening the window a little to communicate with him but the auto down caught me out and he snatched the key.
I don't know what it is but for some reason people love to pick fights for no reason even if it is their fault.

This was just plain stupid of that guy. First of all god knows how many 2 wheelers scrape the mirrors.

Also one more important point which I have brought up earlier in some other threads but was not accepted by others. Auto down and anti pinch mirrors are not a useful feature to have. They can work against you in these situations when you don't want them. By mistake if you press it too much under pressure resulting in you being exposed and he being able to snatch the key. Second is anti-pinch. If you are under attack and quickly roll up window, anti pinch will just roll it back down. You cannot use the window as a weapon.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a terrible thing to be remembered as isn't it?

"Road rage victim".

I remember sometime in the mid to late 90s, there was an incident reported where a Delhi businessman chased a person who had overtaken him, got him out of his car, got into a fight and then ran him over. The man died.

That was the first time I heard the term road rage.

I grew up and learned to drive in Bombay, where most people (back then) abided by the rules but you did occasionally get into a verbal (or more likely gestural) joust or two. It was harmless, you let off steam and went your way. Later on you felt a little silly and were able to laugh at yourself.

These days everything has an edge.

"Do you know who I am?" That sentence stops me dead every single time. See, it doesn't matter that I am in the right and following all the traffic laws. It matters even less that I am perfectly capable of handling and defending myself from bullies.

What stops me dead is that single sentence is a warning that translates loosely to: "I can walk out of every conceivable situation and that includes killing you"

It's just not worth it. You smile, apologise, grovel. A month or so ago, a friend and I paid off a guy my friend had rear ended heavily so that the maruding bully would just leave us in peace. Made us feel really small. But at the end of the day, it's just money. I go back to my family in one piece.

The last thing I want to be remembered as is "road rage victim".

Last edited by noopster : 22nd February 2013 at 16:00.
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:21   #25
BHPian

I sincerely hope this cabbie is charged with "Culpable Homicide". That being a non-bailable offence, should serve him right by keeping him in for some time at least.

At that time since there was no immediate impact, I doubt whether the cops took any action at all.
Old 22nd February 2013, 18:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I sincerely hope this cabbie is charged with "Culpable Homicide". That being a non-bailable offence, should serve him right by keeping him in for some time at least.

At that time since there was no immediate impact, I doubt whether the cops took any action at all.
If the victim's relatives file a fresh complaint, I am sure police can book him under new case.
Old 22nd February 2013, 20:20   #27
BHPian

May his role rest in peace. The murderer must be brought to justice, an example must be set so that people who indulge in road rage should think twice before venturing into any heroic act.
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:00   #28
BHPian

First of all, we pray Almighty set his soul in peace.

Let us dive into statistics on road accidents.

Most of the data is available till 2010. There were 12,30,000 fatalities worldwide, out this 1,33,938 in India, our own country. Please refer wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate and our Indian Govt survey http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/ma...le/File761.pdf.

That is 10.9% of fatality by 1% of world-wide vehicle (I need to get some reference for this 1%). About 40% fatalities in India accounts of pedestrian, bicylists and motor-cyclists. This indicates, we need to protect our pedestrians. Bull bars pose major threat to pedestrians. The responsibilities should come from each and every driver!!!. Let us do our part, drive safe.
ssmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 14:55   #29
BHPian

You spoke my thoughts, pal.

Do we really 'live'? Everyone of us is literally getting pulled into the swirl, not really knowing what actually 'success' means. Financial success solely is equated to success in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I feel our mentality of getting first rank - be in school or in office appraisals or clocking Sales figures is taking toll on us. I seems to me that it is high time to teach ourselves & our children the virtue of humanity more than success.
Thanks,
Jeep is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks