Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 10:45   #46
BHPian

Re: Barricades placed in major city roads /highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The best - or worst - example is on the Nashik Mumbai stretch, just after descending the Kasara ghat, you have the police barricades. They seem to have become a permanent feature of the road.

Probably they think the drivers haven't got enough of the curvy roads in the ghats.
Recently when was travelling from Chennai to trichy the highway is simply superb and is a neat straight stretch. There is a divider for the entire stretch and those who have travelled will agree the joy of riding. Suddenly a unmanned barricade near the trichy bypass (at 11am) is seen there is no school/factory nearby. Little ahead is a tea shop wonder why the barricade for a tea shop.
Old 11th December 2013, 17:17   #47
BHPian

The stretch of Mysore-Bangalore highway near maddur is pretty dangerous. The roads are 4 lane wide stretch then suddenly narrows down to a two lane zig zag. Drivers regular on the stretch are aware and slow down early on and switch lanes. But newbies swerve dangerously near these barricades. I am totally against these barricades. They are worse then the speed humps towering ahead of you.

With no warning signs and poor lightnings at many places, chance of crashing thru is high. These only cause un-necessary traffic jams, road rage and stress. I have lost my ORVM once because a not so visible hook was stretching out and I zig-zaged too close to the barricade.

Reflective road markings can save a lot of stress.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 17:27   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

These barricades can turn into killers on a usual stretch of highway which a driver thinks is clear of any such danger even at 80kmph.

There are quite a few on NH48 (Bangalore-Mangalore) highway near Yentaganahalli nearing Nelamangala.

The red reflectors installed on the road surface to caution the driver of a break in the median is more than sufficient but right at this spot they have put up barricades too.

The reflectors on the road along with the reflective stickers on the barricades pasted like a free-art with bits and pieces can be disastrous when it comes to judging the placement of the barricades and the gaps in between them that you need to ideally pass through.

It creates a hallucinated image ahead of you which can confuse you big time if you do not slow down, toggle the beams Hi-Lo a couple of times and make an assessment of where is the gap to proceed between them.

Earlier when the overbridge at NICE Head office near Clover leaf junction was in progress, the NICE authorities had placed barricades with reflective stickers of all types in all shapes and sizes on these barricades : Yellow, Green, Red, Blue and Traingle, Circle, Trapezoid, Rhombus and what not which was good enough to create the worst confusion in making the right assessment for the driver.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th December 2013 at 17:38.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 19:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Recently when was travelling from Chennai to trichy the highway is simply superb and is a neat straight stretch. There is a divider for the entire stretch and those who have travelled will agree the joy of riding. Suddenly a unmanned barricade near the trichy bypass (at 11am) is seen there is no school/factory nearby. Little ahead is a tea shop wonder why the barricade for a tea shop.
The tea shop would be the 'collection centre'. If you are caught and want to 'settle' the matter, you would deposit the money with the tea vendor.
Old 12th December 2013, 07:47   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The tea shop would be the 'collection centre'. If you are caught and want to 'settle' the matter, you would deposit the money with the tea vendor.
On dot mate. Lucky that it is a tea shop else you will end up paying double
Old 17th February 2014, 12:03   #51
BHPian

Re: Bad Road Design : Things to watch out for

Now, this is another classic example of bad road design and civil agency's negligence. Worst is that a reputed school has chosen to advertise on the electric pole which is on the middle of the road.

Here are the pictures.

Bad Road Design : Things to watch out for-bad-design2.jpg

Bad Road Design : Things to watch out for-bad-roads1.jpg

Bad Road Design : Things to watch out for-photo-1.jpg
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 12:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Now, this is another classic example of bad road design and civil agency's negligence. Worst is that a reputed school has chosen to advertise on the electric pole which is on the middle of the road.

Here are the pictures.
Oh man!! Thats a disaster waiting to happen. I suggest you send a written letter to the civic authorities along with the photos. And probably to the media too.
Old 18th February 2014, 11:09   #53
BHPian

In the Bangalore Chennai NH4 there are couple of flyovers(one near Vaniyambadi and other near Ambur) which take a very sharp turn on top of the flyover, with no proper banking of curves. I realized this way back in 2007 when I drived for the first time in my Santro and since then, whenever I near those flyovers, I slow down. Also there used to be the Tiruppattur exit where there is a major junction, just after getting down from the flyover in the Bangalore-Chennai route. Believe this junction has been recently closed as part of the 6 lane expansions. Couple of my friends have reported their rear wheels lifting up in these flyovers, when doing 100+ speeds.
If my memory goes correct, there is one such narrow and curved flyover between Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri too.

With respect to the Bangalore roads, I still wonder why we need speed breakers, since most of the roads either are pot hole ridden or the road is highly uneven.
During the past few months, I am seeing the roads are being cut across by one or the civic agency. Also noticing concrete mixes left on the roads, causing an uneven tarmac. The most recent one being the Old Madras road asaphalting, which has created a big climb from the old road and the newly laid ones.
hamster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 13:35   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
electric pole which is on the middle of the road.
Here's a transmission tower in the middle of a 4-lane road!

Bad Road Design : Things to watch out for-wp_20140309_11_38_55_pro.jpg

And that biker is on the wrong side without a helmet!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 12:27   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Another annoying thing on our roads are the manhole covers. They are never level with the road; either they are sunken or raised (if the covers are not stolen). And then there are multiple manholes on a small stretch of road which are haphazardly placed. So if you want to avoid them, you have to drive in a zigzag manner.
You guys been to Calcutta? I think not. The design there is the worst I have seen so far.

Maybe, because it is an old city with infra designed not thinking about the progress being currently made, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Agree with Tejas about manhole covers. I have seen such specially in Pune, I don't understand what's the big deal in keeping them on level with road? And God save if those are left open!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks