Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 16:21   #1
BHPian

Fiesta has an accident, big estimate from Ford

Hi Folks
I need an urgent input concerning repair estimate for Ford Fiesta diesel 2007 model of my friend which met with an accident yesterday night in Bangalore. The vehicle's right hand front side collided with another vehicle's back side. Thankfully all occupants are safe - however, the car suffered significant damages in front right side.

Today morning, the vehicle was finally towed to one of the Ford service station and overall estimate given by them comes close to 2.94 lakhs including labor. At this moment, its not clear what percentage of it will be borne by insurance. Assuming 50% liability - it will still mean close to 1.5Lakh from the pocket.

In addition, the other concern is whether after changing all the parts mentioned below - the car would be able to perform as earlier and no further niggles would appear. Are there any components here which indicate that engine would have to be opened?

Appreciate your inputs on this. I am attaching the car damage picture along with snippet of the estimate from Ford. The insurance value of the car is INR 337500. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

LABOUR charged --> 52195.00 Service Tax 12.36% 6451.30
Spare Parts Amount (VAT Inclusive) 235700.25
Grand Total 294346.55 ( Details below )
Attached Thumbnails
Fiesta has an accident, big estimate from Ford-fiesta.jpg  

Fiesta has an accident, big estimate from Ford-estimate1.png  

Fiesta has an accident, big estimate from Ford-estimate2.png  

Fiesta has an accident, big estimate from Ford-estimate3.png  

Last edited by svaid : 25th June 2013 at 16:33.
Old 25th June 2013, 17:00   #2
BHPian

re: Fiesta has an accident, big estimate from Ford

These days the quality of repair works by all authorized service centers is pretty good, so I would say that you dont need to worry on that front.

However you still need to decide if one wants to put in close to 1.5L on a 6 year old Car, I think that call has to be taken by the owner
Old 25th June 2013, 20:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

The damage is extensive. Since the repair estimate is more than 75% of the IDV of the car, it is good to declare it as total loss and get the insurance money, unless of course the car has sentimental value to your friend.

It is a six year old car, keep in mind that the resale value of the car will take a massive hit even if your friend repairs the car by paying close to Rs.1.5L.
Old 25th June 2013, 20:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't quite see how the Ford ASS is estimating these costs. If you could post some close-up pics of the engine bay area after raising the bonnet, it might give a clearer picture.

1. The damage seems to be confined to the upper portion of the engine bay. Don't see why one needs a new alternator and steering pump assembly, that too at a whopping amount of ~45k (#13 + #26).

2. Cylinder head bolts and gasket to be replaced (#7 & #43)? And why? The engine does not appear to have taken a hit. If it did, you'd need a new cylinder head, not bolts and gaskets. And a set of 10 head bolts cost Rs.3780? Fiestas use titanium bolts or what?

3. Radiator and AC condenser appear not to be damaged or leaking - did you lose coolant or did the AC stop working? ASS wants to replace both with ALL the tubing. IMO tubes and hoses are reusable to a large extent. And the parts appear expensive.

4. What's wrong with the brake booster and master cylinder? Those are tough to break!

5. EGR valve AND EGR hose both gone (#4 & #45)?

6. Radiator (water) hose costs Rs.4296 (#73)? *Duh*

I'd recommend that your friend find himself a good FNG at Bangalore (try using the directory - this one seems very well recommended). He is definitely being taken for a ride by the Ford ASS, and he'd spend a lot less at an FNG even if he does not claim insurance.
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 20:57   #5
BHPian

Which vehicle did you hit ? I can just see that the Lights and Bonnet are damaged.
I can't see very clearly but has the Windshield cracked ? Did the airbags deploy ?
Old 25th June 2013, 21:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
He is definitely being taken for a ride by the Ford ASS, and he'd spend a lot less at an FNG even if he does not claim insurance.
This is the best advise IMHO. There is little point in repairing a 07 model car by spending 150K or more. As speedmiester has said, the resale value of this car will certainly plummet also.

Ask your pal to get the car re-estimated and try to repair it within 80-90K without claiming any insurance. Reasonable, in my 2c.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

+1 what SS-Traveller said.

Two months ago my colleague's one month old Swift met with an accident in which the LH suspension, subframe, radiator, condensor were damaged among many other items. The printed estimate he received from M.A.S.S was in excess of 1.35lacs but the final repair cost was around 50k and out of this he had to pay 10k.

Your F.A.S.S isn't going to replace all that is listed in the estimate, your insurance company simply will not authorise all those replacements. They will replace only what is really broken or cannot be mended.
Old 25th June 2013, 23:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

Deja Vu! My old Optra (on road price Rs. 11.5 Lacs) car looked exactly like that after a similar accident.

Fiesta has an accident, big estimate from Ford-dsc02306.jpg

The bill was Rs. 1.5 Lacs and this incident happened in the year 2004. The insurance company paid Rs. 1.1 Lacs.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th June 2013 at 23:53.
Old 26th June 2013, 04:56   #9
BHPian

Why does the wind shield need replacement? From pics it looks just fine. In any case, I would have taken the Total Loss path. After such frontal damage, its no point playing the gamble game. Provided the bill comes to what Ford has claimed it to be.

If the insurance company pays up the IDV I would suggest taking that route as reliability and occupant safety should be the first moto.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 26th June 2013, 08:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

@svaid,

Was the damage assessed by the Surveyor? The estimate given is by the Ford workshop which we know is an exaggerated one. Was this estimate approved by the surveyor? I would say ask your friend to find out how much of this cost will be borne by the Insurance co? If his contribution is going to be still in the range of 50% then suggest him to opt for the total loss as the repair cost is more than the limit of 70% for the IDV.

Regarding the integrity of the car after repaired, I am sure it will be worth the ride incase you choose to get the car repaired.
Old 26th June 2013, 10:03   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Opt for cash settlement with the insurer and move on for the following reasons:

1. Time: Repair is a very time consuming job and you need to follow up on lot of things including constant revision of actual cost of repair and the subsequent negotiations. It won't be returned on time and you need to plan for alternate transport arrangements.

2. Quality: I don't have lot of trust in repair jobs that are not trivial.

3. Money: You are probably better off buying an accident free 2007 Fiesta in similar condition than getting this baby back on the road.

4. Psychological: It's not a memory that I want to drive around in.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 11:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Svaid, The parts more or less seem to be legitimately localized in the area that is hit.
I dont know about your service centre, but I had an accident , much lesser, and took her to the only good ford centre in delhi, and they gave me an estimate that was about 50% more than what it actually ended up costing me.
Without disassembling and analysing the parts, its hard to know if its a goner, and hence EVERYTHING is marked for replacement.Thats why the estimate at ford is always higher by a margin more than with others.
So its up to you to take a call on whether you want to go ahead with the repairs at ford, cos its hardly a guarantee that the end amount will be less, but I have seen it to be so in 80% of the cases I saw at various ford A.S.S.

As for going the FNG route, I wouldnt advise it.
See, Ford parts are definitely not impossible to come by outside ford, but they are hard to get. And with the laundry list you have put up, it may see you parking the car at the FNG for an inordinately long time. Also, a lot of replacements will be refurbished units, whether you like it or not.

So, at this level I will suggest sticking to Ford if you do decide to have it repaired.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 11:36   #13
BHPian

Thanks a lot everyone for your thoughtful responses. I shall convey the same to my friend .. and it surely will help him in deciding what course to take.
Currently the car is at FASS and my friend is waiting for evaluation from Insurance guys ... hopefully he should get the same today.

Looks like most of us think that if possible my friend should go for a complete loss case. Any idea what amount should he be expecting from insurance folks for the cash settlement? Also the car is in perfect state behind windshield, does insurers take that into account (maybe they would like to re-sell or dispose the parts) ? What all point should he consider if required while negotiating with insurance folks?

@evilshantanu: Thanks man . As of now, my friend is banking on the quality of service from Ford-ASS. In the past he had a bad experience from non-ford guys so don't want to take risk.

@speedmiester: Thanks. Can he himself ask the insurance guys to go for total loss?

@SS-Traveller: Thanks a lot!! for your detailed analysis. It surely will help him in deciding how to move forward. Not sure about the alternator but the steering pump assembly was broken. After the impact the steering wheel got jammed but the engine was working (though with a loud noise). Radiator joining part to the bonet was broken as the complete plastic assembly got lifted with the hood. As per what has been told to him by FASS guys, this is the evaluation based on what is visible and what they can understand from the condition. They will send the correct estimate once insurance guys evaluate and let them touch the body. So might increase or decrease. Also they think that engine has gone inside, so they fear of engine getting cracked.

@supercars: It was a Tata safari. This car has no airbags. Windshield was broken at the corners.
@sandeepmdas: Thanks buddy. Shall convey the same to him.
@Sankar: Thanks. Right. But in-general does mended stuff by Authorized SErvice centers works like normal ?
@smartcat: Man!! ... this is like complete replica.
@ObsessedByFIAT @ghodlur : Thanks.. He is waiting for surveyor to give the estimate and hopefully give an option of total loss with decent price.
@androdev: Very precise and thoughtful input indeed. Let me convey the same to my friend. Thanks a lot.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:45   #14
BHPian

@mayankk: Ya.. I guess you are right about initial estimation given on the higher side. Also he had a bad experience with a non-ford guy earlier so incase if he goes for repair .. it will be Ford A.S.S only. Thanks a lot for your input.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

I can perhaps tell you roughly looking at the extent of damage from the pix that this would entail about 50K work at a local garage (metal body job, bumpers, headlights, AC condenser, radiator, mounts, extensive labor work etc) . But of course this is a very rough idea only, accuracy and magnitude of repair can be judges only when scrutinized closely. If there is a damage to engine, steering, alternator, etc as the list shows, then the price would go up.

But I don't trust the bill of quantity generated by the workshop since their aim to to earn as much money off you or your insurer.

Last edited by alpha1 : 26th June 2013 at 11:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks