Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 08:32   #1
BHPian

Get fined for driving fast - Alipiri to Tirumala

The minimum time required to reach Tirumala is 28 minutes from Alipiri and the down time is 40 minutes. They scan your ticket at the entry and exit tolls and in case you reach early, you are fined. We got fined Rs. 200/- for reaching 5 minutes early.

Get fined for driving fast - Alipiri to Tirumala-upload.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2013 at 19:33. Reason: Correcting Picture Orientation
sapna gurukar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 09:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Get fined for driving fast - Alipiri to Tirumala

Good to know that they want to catch over speeding vehicles. But what if someone over speeds and then halt for few minutes before the toll?
Old 10th July 2013, 09:22   #3
BHPian

Many people were doing that. But a cop on a bike does his rounds regularly and fines people who stop and time pass too :-)
sapna gurukar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 09:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Stopping for a few minutes mid-way at the Hanuman temple would have saved those 200 rupees!
ramzsys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

What should be the normal speed to travel the distance in 40 mins? Is this fine imposed on private vehicles or the state run buses too? Coz last time I had been then, had seen some rash driving and sharp turning by the bus drivers which brought a knot in the stomach.
Old 10th July 2013, 10:48   #6
BHPian

They expect an average of 23 - 24 km per hour. The fine is imposed on every vehicle including the state run buses. It has definitely helped curb rash and negligent driving because we saw every single vehicle drive slowly and carefully one behind the other, without honking and no overtaking (which is a rare sight in our country). The authorities claim to have reduced accidents by more than 50% since they have implemented this rule. Seems to be helping but 40 minutes downhill is a lil too stretched I feel!
sapna gurukar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 11:34   #7
BHPian

I think this is an excellent move to curb rash driving, esp. by private cabs who in their mad rush to take new passengers over-speed, honk excessively and make the roads dangerous for all users.

Great move.
Old 10th July 2013, 13:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapna gurukar View Post
They expect an average of 23 - 24 km per hour. The fine is imposed on every vehicle including the state run buses. It has definitely helped curb rash and negligent driving because we saw every single vehicle drive slowly and carefully one behind the other, without honking and no overtaking (which is a rare sight in our country). The authorities claim to have reduced accidents by more than 50% since they have implemented this rule. Seems to be helping but 40 minutes downhill is a lil too stretched I feel!
When was ther rule implemented? Definitely couldnt have been in March 2013 when I had gone there. Second ques - For reaching Tirumala why 28 mins? is the distance for going up & down the same - if so what speeds is expected when climbing up? I know the routes are different but isnt the risk the same whether climbing up or down?
Old 10th July 2013, 13:34   #9
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
When was ther rule implemented? Definitely couldnt have been in March 2013 when I had gone there. Second ques - For reaching Tirumala why 28 mins? is the distance for going up & down the same - if so what speeds is expected when climbing up? I know the routes are different but isnt the risk the same whether climbing up or down?
Up is 18KM. Down i do not remember correctly, but i think it is 24KM. More time for down because there are 50 hairpin bends, where caution is needed
rkg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 19:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Its implemented since June 2013. However, they started fining people only since the last 3 days. The distance down is 17 km but has over 50 hairpin bends. The distance up is the same too (not very sure though). Just that downhill, its more of a risk due to the speed people gather and the hurry everyone is in.
sapna gurukar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 23:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapna gurukar View Post

Its implemented since June 2013. However, they started fining people only since the last 3 days. The distance down is 17 km but has over 50 hairpin bends. The distance up is the same too (not very sure though). Just that downhill, its more of a risk due to the speed people gather and the hurry everyone is in.
This is being implemented from the last week of May. The down road has 55 hair pin bends and is more accident prone. Also this route intersects the pedestrian path. Hence the longer time. Also cabs which are caught speeding more than 2 times will be banned for a week.
Old 14th July 2013, 23:28   #12
BHPian

Re: Get fined for driving fast - Alipiri to Tirumala

This is a good move from TTD to curb accidents. However I would recommend keeping separate time target for cars, buses and other LCV.
Old 24th July 2013, 10:51   #13
BHPian

Speed limits on Ghat road-Thirumala

Hi,

The new speed & time limit rule made for uphill & down hill travel on ghat road of Thirumala, crossing the limits attracts 1k to 2k fine by the trafffic police.

Up hill time Limit 28 mins
Down hill time limit 40mins
speed limit 20kms

The new Bar coded receipt will issued at entrance gate, once receipt generate your time count starts, at thirumala entrance receipt will be scanned & the monitor shows the your early reach, while towards the down hill again receipt will be scanned for time count, at the foot hill final scanner will says the time.

Yesterday i got warnings on the same, as i did'nt see the warnings at start point i was reached 6 mins early when up hill, i was care full enough while coming down, i followed the TTD bus, even though system showned me 2 min's early.

At present only warnings are given by the traffic police, mostly within a month they will enforce the rule & start collecting the fine.
subbarao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 12:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speed limits on Ghat road-Thirumala

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
Hi,

The new speed & time limit rule made for uphill & down hill travel on ghat road of Thirumala, crossing the limits attracts 1k to 2k fine by the trafffic police.

Up hill time Limit 28 mins
Down hill time limit 40mins
speed limit 20kms

The new Bar coded receipt will issued at entrance gate, once receipt generate your time count starts, at thirumala entrance receipt will be scanned & the monitor shows the your early reach, while towards the down hill again receipt will be scanned for time count, at the foot hill final scanner will says the time.

Yesterday i got warnings on the same, as i did'nt see the warnings at start point i was reached 6 mins early when up hill, i was care full enough while coming down, i followed the TTD bus, even though system showned me 2 min's early.

At present only warnings are given by the traffic police, mostly within a month they will enforce the rule & start collecting the fine.
Fine collection has begun a friend of mine had to pay the fine last week.The problem is thanks to this enforcement,cab drivers instead of paying heed to the speeds,now stop their cars enroute and take naps and while away their time to avoid paying the fine.But yes I fully agree with this procedure of speed control,else no way they can enforce any speed limits on the stretch.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 15:17   #15
BHPian

Re: Speed limits on Ghat road-Thirumala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
cab drivers instead of paying heed to the speeds,now stop their cars enroute and take naps and while away their time to avoid paying the fine.
Yes. I saw the cabs stopped at Deer park to kill the time, I think they have to follow Bengaluru police for interceptors to get full proof speed control.
subbarao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks