Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which characteristics of a car create the most fatigue on a longer, faster journey?
Vibration 12 7.95%
Excess heat 14 9.27%
Low frequency road noise from tyres 0 0%
Excess noise 8 5.30%
Poor suspension/uncomfortable ride 50 33.11%
Inaccurate or poor steering 3 1.99%
Poor cornering at speed and inconsistent handling 5 3.31%
Low frequency noise from engine/exhaust 1 0.66%
Lack of feedback from road/rubbery feel to car 0 0%
Poor driver ergonomics 38 25.17%
Poor brakes 2 1.32%
other - please state 18 11.92%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 06:49   #31
BHPian

re: What causes the most fatigue on a long journey?

Poor suspension/uncomfortable ride. That would take my vote. In my mind, these are the most important factors in making the long ride a hell pass or a heaven pass. As SS Traveler mentioned earlier, first we need to standardize the 'long journey' definition. As for my own experience, I have driven same stretch of road of around 500 kms to my native place from Mumbai multiple times every year using different cars and off course different road condition. Road condition is a constant I think in these kind of equations. Taking that as a constant, what I have felt most strongly was the effect of Poor suspension/uncomfortable ride. The two are actually synonymous. I have started this drive using a Maruti 800, graduating to a then new Zen , then to a Indica V2, a Skoda Octavia, and now recently in XUV500 with a couple of trips on Honda City old model (had it for a year as I was infatuated with it for some time). All these vehicles has different suspension treatment and thereby handling and ride comfort. The best of these trips were in Skoda Octavia. These were the exact views from the fellow travelers as well which were mainly my family members. I appreciate the fact that all these vehicles are not really in the same class, but if you compare the overall factors like space, seat and heat cushions, AC and NVH performance, the suspension is something which affects the actual ride quality greatly. If I can make a Maruti 800 for example as pliant as Skoda Octavia, or a India as smooth as the Zen, I think you get the point.
Old 8th August 2013, 07:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

some of the poll options are specific to drivers. considering passengers as well, i feel suspension does have a good role in absorbing bad roads and maintaining composure of the vehicle. then there are factors like NVH which are irritating over long period

another point is perhaps leg room, interior ambience should be bright and airy and good support for knees
Old 8th August 2013, 08:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

For me, Poor suspension/uncomfortable ride is the single biggest factor on a long journey. Would prefer to be in a Fiesta than a Verna for a Cochin - Bangalore trip.

And bad roads can tire out the driver pretty fast. They require high concentration, more braking and downshifts. And in night, it is the ruthless high-beams which makes it horrible to stay behind the wheel for long.
Old 8th August 2013, 08:25   #34
BHPian

Bad roads are the major reason. Add to it the crazy insane traffic because of which constant slow downs, gear shifts creates unnecessary stress on mind.
Old 8th August 2013, 08:39   #35
Team-BHP Support

Poor driver ergonomics, closely followed by Poor suspension / Uncomfortable Ride.
Properly placed and easy to reach controls and a good driving position go a long way in reducing fatigue on long distance travel.
Again, a car with a flat and consistent ride is much less tiring than a car which tends to pitch and bounce every time it hits a bump.
Old 8th August 2013, 09:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
Wow, 12 hours. That's a long stint in any car - where was the journey to and from? You really get to know a car over that time!
I guess 12hrs is so small an amount considering the mammoths at Team-BHP who do all over the terrains of the country. Anyways, here is a brief log on the trip.

And related to the topic, I always feel a bit energetic to experience the diesel vibrations from a car/jeep. So engine vibration is a good thing for me; not the one which creeps up as an issue though, the original vibrations specific to a diesel engine.
Old 8th August 2013, 10:00   #37
BHPian

1. Backseat drivers, Know it alls, and the friendly guy who was so sure of the road until moments ago and constantly swears that the route he suggested was the right one.

2. Bawling Kids/ "Are we There Yet" status seekers / I told you so ... types

3. NHAI (perpetual diversions) , Monsoons (lunar surface), Wedding Season (all too familiar naach gaana & dhingana on the road)

Need i say more ?
kutoos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 10:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

IMHO it is others the no 1 factor as per me is glare of high beam and aftermarket 110 /90 W bulbs fitted by 80% of junta. Even on our 4 lane highways divider width is not that great and you get glare in eyes.

Lower beam lights up the immediate vicinity and curbs ( till around 500 meters) so useful in normal drive whereas high beam should be used for either flashing or to probe the distance intermediately . It is of no use for normal drive as immediate surroundings are not visible.

Somehow many people including many BHPians think that high beam aids in highway driving. Only thing which highbeams help are in tiring the oncoming drivers.

I can drive whole day without getting tired but just couple of hours of night glare takes it's toll.

PS: Longest drive I have done in a day is 1150 KM.
Old 8th August 2013, 10:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Poor Driver Ergonomics. If you aren't comfortable while you're driving, you'll get worn down real fast. Been there, done that.

I would add in "Lack of quality music" to the equation, but that would be taking it too far. But really, with good music, I can travel the world solo in a Nano!
Old 8th August 2013, 11:11   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for higher vibrations. IMO consistent & continuous vibrations inside the cabin result in fatigue, even if it is small. That can be due to poor insulation like bad mountings, worn out tyres, bad suspension, rough engine, poor power delivery/ drivetrain etc. hence covers many aspects.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:35   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
Long? A poor engine with its noise and vibration tires me after a little more than an hour and a half or 200km. I deliberately didn't specify 'long' - but we all know when a trip becomes a 'long' one. For me, in Northern England, I would call a long journey one which takes more than three hours or which is more than 650km.

At first experience the Audi would feel the better car - it feels to respond more quickly, feels more comfortable and feels faster. It flatters the driver - but after half an hour behind the four circles I realised how inferior the whole machine was...
I suspect some of us are confused between tiredness / fatigue and irritation.

Things like wind/tyre noise, poor driving / handling behaviour etc. make the driver irritated, esp. if he is coming out of a different car before driving the present one. One can adapt one's speed, rhythm, posture etc. to relax more, and learn to ignore certain irritating factors that are part of the car itself. Adaptive driving pattern changes the pace of covering ground in different cars to minimize factors that irritate.

However, tiredness or fatigue is different - it makes one's eyes droop, concentration go down, and increases the risk of accidents. This is related to sleep deprivation prior to setting off, physical inactivity, lack of oxygen (in a closed cabin with AC in recirculation mode), loneliness, age, diseases like diabetes, (EDIT: add dehydration as bblost suggested in the next post) etc. I would associate tiredness or fatigue with loss of alertness - and the list in the poll does not contribute to reducing alertness, except the one in bold (I would also add too cold to excess heat)
  • Vibration
  • Excess heat
  • Low frequency road noise from tyres
  • Excess noise
  • Poor suspension/uncomfortable ride
  • Inaccurate or poor steering
  • Poor cornering at speed and inconsistent handling
  • Low frequency noise from engine/exhaust
  • Lack of feedback from road/rubbery feel to car
  • Poor driver ergonomics
  • Poor brakes
As I said before, what constitutes 'long' for many others, is 'short' for me. After 3 hrs / 650 km, I can work 6 hours, and then set off for the return journey immediately afterwards.

Some of us have the unique ability to stay awake 36-48 hours at a stretch, and not feel sleepy (whether driving or not). I, for one, have driven without sleep interrupting the continuity of the drive, for up to 30 hours, covering distances as much as 1600+ km. Not once, but innumerable times. At the end of the drive, I manage to carry on with a few more hours of alert wakefulness; then I usually need my 7-8 hours of sleep.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 8th August 2013 at 11:43.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 11:40   #42
Team-BHP Support

Excellent post SS-Traveller.

I would just like to add dehydration to the list.
Lack of water can seriously tire you out. Your body will literally start shutting down and you may not realize till its too late.

Dehydration can also happen by consuming certain things like caffeine.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 11:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Poor driver ergonomics followed by low frequency droning noise followed by poor suspension followed by lack of feedback; in this order. If driver ergonomics isn't right for me I would only want to be a passenger.

Poor ergonomics - Offset steering, steering reach and height, seat with bad back support, pedals too high, poor visibility (huge blind spots) etc. - Increased stress and fatigue for me.
Low frequency noise - Droning engine/exhaust gives me a headache.
Poor suspension - Too stiff for bad roads or too cushy for high speeds both are equally bad. Stiff suspension on bad roads breaks my back and cushy wallowing suspension on fast roads makes me sick.
Lack of feedback - Lack of feedback gives no confidence to push a car - scares me lol!

Last edited by Sankar : 8th August 2013 at 12:01.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 13:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
and the list in the poll does not contribute to reducing alertness, except
I agree that heat has the ability to drain energy without paining the body much (there won't be direct symptoms than the fatigue itself), but won't pain too drains our alertness? Pain in many parts of the body due to poor ergonomics does often take our mind off from the road. Ain't this reduced alertness?
Old 8th August 2013, 13:53   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven a maximum of little over 1000kms in a day and in my present car I have not felt any tiredness at the end of such journeys.

However,But, I contribute the major reason for getting tired are "Heat" and " Traffic Conditions"

In my books, the above two factors have the ability to sap the battery out of me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks