Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 01:11   #1
BHPian

Video: Petrol Pump Meter running without any fuel dispensed!

Related Threads:

How Petrol Pumps Operate

Fueling Tricks

Just came across a video on the FB page of Auto Revoultionz. Scary to say the least. I can't see how the video could have been edited or tampered with.

PS: The video was not getting embedded here. So i uploaded it to youtube and embedded it here. All Credits to Auto Lounge Revolutionz FAcebook Page

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2013 at 16:26. Reason: Adding Related Threads
searchingheaven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:05   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Just came across a video on the FB page of Auto Revoultionz. Scary to say the least. I can't see how the video could have been edited or tampered with.

PS: The video was not getting embedded here. So i uploaded it to Youtube and embedded it here. All Credits to Auto Lounge Revolutionz FAcebook Page
Greetings

This is scary. Someone recently was telling me that we shouldn't fill it after the cut off because there isn't much going in ! No clue on the correctness of the statement but its better to be safe than end up paying for fuel that you didn't get .
Cheers
Regards
Imran

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd September 2013 at 05:15. Reason: Removed embedded video link from quoted post.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:27   #3
BHPian

re: Video: Petrol Pump Meter running without any fuel dispensed!

Quote:

Maybe the video guy was showing the other nozzle, whereas fuel might actually have come and would have got filled from the first one?? I mean, every dispenser has atleast two hoses, right? And since these hoses are quite long, all you need to do it is carry it to the other side whenever a car accidently comes the wrong way up.

AFAIK, fuel pumps are pretty sturdy units and are not easy to tamper with. Of course, everything is possible in India!!
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitk1993 View Post

Maybe the video guy was showing the other nozzle, whereas fuel might actually have come and would have got filled from the first one?? I mean, every dispenser has atleast two hoses, right? And since these hoses are quite long, all you need to do it is carry it to the other side whenever a car accidently comes the wrong way up.

AFAIK, fuel pumps are pretty sturdy units and are not easy to tamper with. Of course, everything is possible in India!!

I own a Petrol Pump In Punjab and Do You know that the machines come Pre calibrated. And the Actual reading will definitely Differ by .050 L min. for every 1L fuel you buy.

This will show if we use proper Scientific equipments but if you measure with the company Equipment them it will be more that a 1l.

This is the trick which is applicable all over India. And the Machines are easily Calibrated. They charge rs 5000 per machine.

Carefully see when a Taxi wala comes he would whisper something to the attendant and then fill.

Any why would I take only rs 5000 as daily profit after spending around 6-7 Cr to setup a pump.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I own a Petrol Pump In Punjab and Do You know that the machines come Pre calibrated.
======
Any why would I take only rs 5000 as daily profit after spending around 6-7 Cr to setup a pump.
With due respect due to your feelings, let us not go into discussing the costs involved in setting up a petrol pump and the daily profits received. Also, calibrating pumps to increase profit margins comes down to personal ethics; since it is a subjective topic and I have no clue about the business nature of an Indian petrol pump, I shall not comment on it.

However, the point I wish to make is: how can there be pumps that give little/no fuel at all while the meter shows a reading?? Having a 5% error (as you pointed out) is understandable as the consumer will be hard-pressed to notice it. However, if I fill, say 500 rupees worth of fuel and my fuel-needle does not move correspondingly, won't I notice??

Also, I was under the illusion that modern fuel pumps are designed to be completely tamper-proof; they are thoroughly tested before-hand and come with little or no error. However, it seems I was wrong.
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:02   #6
BHPian

Re: Video: Petrol Pump Meter running without any fuel dispensed!

Quote:

Maybe the video guy was showing the other nozzle, whereas fuel might actually have come and would have got filled from the first one??
1. So many people were watching. i don't think all would would have been actors.

2. Even if i take it to be a drama, why would anyone do so?
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
1. So many people were watching. i don't think all would would have been actors.

2. Even if i take it to be a drama, why would anyone do so?
I just saw the video once again to be double sure, only to come up with a stunning revelation: the pump is working absolutely fine, it's just that it is giving out AIR.

If one hears closely, one can hear the sound of air rushing out of the nozzle, making that grr-grr sound often observed when the vaccuum cleaner is switched on in blower mode. I cannot confirm it, but it seems the underground tank must have run dry and so, the dispenser is only giving out air. Now, how exactly did the pump attendants manage such a feat, I honestly don't know.
mohitk1993 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dont see a need to give these cheats any benefit of doubt. It looks like it is blatant cheating. Hope this video is shared with the Oil company and the license of this pump is cancelled. Sigh, so much for wishful thinking. This is India after all. Sab chalta hai!!
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Hope this video is shared with the Oil company and the license of this pump is cancelled.!
Is there any frame where the name of the company is visible? If yes,share it with us. Maybe one of us could share it with the company then,
Old 3rd September 2013, 02:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any frame where the name of the company is visible? If yes,share it with us. Maybe one of us could share it with the company then,
Point 0.10 to 0.14 of the video looks like Indianoil to me!!

Last edited by hrman : 3rd September 2013 at 02:01.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:54   #11
BHPian

This is one reason why you should always see the density before filling up. In the video it shows zero which means air only.

I guess the usual density of petrol is between 730-740
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:47   #12
BHPian

I completely agree that this type of fraud happens. I faced it twice (I was sitting inside the car on both occasions). The first one was at BP pump, Majiwada and the second at IOCL pump, opposite IIT.

I had also heard from a person who had earlier worked in Weights and Measures dept - there are no petrol pumps in India that dispense correctly. Every one of them is tampered.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

What I heard that these miscreants generally do not mess with cars who ask for full tank. They mess with those, who asks to fill petrol of fixed amount or fixed volume. In this case, it is very difficult to prove that petrol pump owner has short filled.
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:09   #14
BHPian

What do you say? Shall i share it on their facebook page? :-)
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

^Why not? Just post it but it would be better not to write assuming anything, ask for explanation.

EDIT: I've decided to fill full tank from now on, instead of filling for a particular amount.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd September 2013 at 18:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks