Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2013, 11:27   #1
BHPian

50 kph; Fine us, but don’t revoke our driving licence (Kerala)

Quote:
The Motor Vehicles Department’s decision to act stringently against all those who exceed the speed limit of 50kmph has not gone down well with the young motorists

If the needle in the speed gauge of your recently modified superbike has touched more than 50 kmph, beware! Traffic wardens are watching you at every nook and cranny of the state, and you are at the risk of losing your driver’s licence!
Times of India

Thoughts? (not necessarily of the "recently-modified superbike" owners)

I think the speed limits should be raised ~15-20 kmph; cars to 85-90 kmph and motorbikes to 65-70 kmph.
Old 28th September 2013, 19:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 50 kph; Fine us, but don’t revoke our driving licence (Kerala)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Quote:
you are at the risk of losing your driver’s licence!
Thoughts?
Easy come, easy go. It doesn't take much to procure a driving licence anywhere in the country, and the police/MVD revoking people's licences will breed a parallel industry in procurement of new licences without much effort (except a few banknotes changing hands).

I dream of a day when stringent driver / rider training and testing would be a necessity to receive a driving licence anywhere in India.
Old 28th September 2013, 19:33   #3
BHPian

This drive by the new MVD commissioner has actually brought about some difference in the way people drive in the state.

I was amused to see most cars keeping to a max of 80 kmph in my trip from Trivandrum to Ernakulam by NH 47 on 26th night. The number of high beam blinders were much lesser than normal.

Also, it was reported that the percentage of helmet users in Trivandrum city went up from 50 % to 90 % in just couple of days.

But, revoking licenses for going 5-10 kmph over the posted speed limits is a bit too extreme IMHO.
Old 28th September 2013, 20:47   #4
BHPian

But unless otherwise the authorities go overboard, the general public (you and me included) will not observe even the minimum decencies / safety mechanisms devised for safe driving! I find in Trivandrum, many of the two wheeler drivers happily driving without even rear view mirrors! It makes me think twice, thrice before overtaking such brainless motorists! What do you say for that? But I also feel revoking licences a bit overboard.
Old 28th September 2013, 21:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
But unless otherwise the authorities go overboard, the general public (you and me included) will not observe even the minimum decencies / safety mechanisms devised for safe driving! I find in Trivandrum, many of the two wheeler drivers happily driving without even rear view mirrors! It makes me think twice, thrice before overtaking such brainless motorists! What do you say for that? But I also feel revoking licences a bit overboard.
I still see tippers overspeeding and with no brake lights. Ditto for those state cars. Kids with helmets on lap or mirror and ya sometimes no mirror even.

Last day I read that the helmet usage has now jumped to 80% from50%! Alright, good! But are those good helmets, are people really using the right size and are they even buckling it?

And, can a commissioner just make a rule and start doing this?
Old 29th September 2013, 00:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I still see tippers overspeeding and with no brake lights. Ditto for those state cars. Kids with helmets on lap or mirror and ya sometimes no mirror even.

Last day I read that the helmet usage has now jumped to 80% from50%! Alright, good! But are those good helmets, are people really using the right size and are they even buckling it?

And, can a commissioner just make a rule and start doing this?
Jk: Good points.

Also heard that the MVD department is launching an awareness campaign to educate two wheeler riders on the importance of the chinstrap on the helmets.

This guy is good but unrealistic in many ways. However, isn't he better than scores of others who wouldn't even care about any of this ?
Old 29th September 2013, 09:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Times of India

Thoughts? (not necessarily of the "recently-modified superbike" owners)

I think the speed limits should be raised ~15-20 kmph; cars to 85-90 kmph and motorbikes to 65-70 kmph.
IMO the directive for setting speed limits should be primarily based after assessment of the road conditions specific to each area, lane driving can to be introduced where commuters can opt for increased or decreased speed levels suiting their requirement. separate pathway for buses can also be enforced to make sure traffic is regulated.

If the idea to revoke DL for violating a fixed speed limit, is only to deter motorists from over speeding, then it makes no sense. Accidents do occur due to speed but there are other important factors such as drunken driving, jumping signals,drivers getting distracted, overtaking incorrectly etc.

It is important to educate the drivers on road safety, identify & impose hefty fines on habitual offenders (DL needs to be marked for previous violation if any). The Licenses should be cancelled as last resort, while ensuring the individuals cannot obtain the same again.

RTO's are online in most part of the country now, obtaining an NOC from MVD for issue of License from other than own state can be made mandatory in case the individual tries to obtain it elsewhere to hide his/her offenses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks