Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2006, 15:01   #1
BHPian

Three cheers to an Unknown ST driver

HI, last wednesay when I ws driving back home from work (Mahape to Kharghar ) on the Taloja highway, I came to a point where i noticed this ST bus plonk right in the center not giving me space to pass. AS I slowed down to stop, I noticed a cute little pup under the bus, the pup climbe on to the wheel of the bus and some pedestrians came and took the pup out and the bus moved . So happy that the bus driver noticed the tiny thing and saved it.
Old 16th June 2006, 15:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Once upon a time, I did the same thing with my 1100d when a pup came into my path. The 1100d stopped but an Amby Cab following me closely couldn't and rear-ended me. Result, broken radiator on the Amby, and not a scratch on me or the Pup.

It was kind of a reward for saving the pup (the reward being the broken radiator on a ill driven cab without any damage on me). Me and the Pup enjoyed this, however the pup showed this expression with its tail, I had none.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2006, 15:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
Once upon a time, I did the same thing with my 1100d when a pup came into my path. The 1100d stopped but an Amby Cab following me closely couldn't and rear-ended me. Result, broken radiator on the Amby, and not a scratch on me or the Pup.

It was kind of a reward for saving the pup (the reward being the broken radiator on a ill driven cab without any damage on me). Me and the Pup enjoyed this, however the pup showed this expression with its tail, I had none.
Hi 1100D (BTW Which vehicle is this: sorry for being so ignorant). Your heart is the right place. Hope to see more people like you on the roads.
Old 16th June 2006, 15:57   #4
rks
BANNED

You can add my applause too for the bus driver and others who take similar care. The sight of innocent and helpless animals being run over by uncaring drivers really makes my blood boil. I have seen an idiot try to straddle a pup between his wheels and end up running over it. I was so horrified that I almost went off the road myself. That sight will always remained etched in my memory.
Regards, rks
Old 16th June 2006, 16:16   #5
BHPian

Unfortunately i was not so fortunate!
Trying to save a dog crossing the path(cruising at 40 km) braked slowly but a share auto guy rammed me from behind coming at full speed.
My Bolero had the rear bumper dented and front of the auto was fully out of shape.Tried putting some sense into him but to no avail,he held me responsible for braking on a open road.
The dog was happy to cross over,my Ins claim 5000/-.
Old 16th June 2006, 16:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbhrao
Hi 1100D (BTW Which vehicle is this: sorry for being so ignorant). Your heart is the right place. Hope to see more people like you on the roads.

1100D is the original to the Premier President (initially) and Ultimately the Padmini.

Actually knowlingly normal people would not go over a pup (for that matter any creature)

However there is a gray area in some people's mind about the cats, especially when they are black. Infact even my folks get superstitious. So much that sometimes I decide to race the cat, cross its path before it does the same. The result? The cat has to stop till the next dog passes by!

Many a times the Dogs themselves bring their doom. Everytime I see a dog crossing, really have to slow down a lot. 'cos wherever they are in relation to the crossed road they think the side they came from is safer. But you cant assume them to be that stupid some of them have other ideas. Sometimes Bizzare.
Old 16th June 2006, 17:30   #7
BHPian

hi I have learnt with animals and with children, always slow and stop -horns or no horns doesn't matter. Just yesterday I had a whole herd of cows blocking the way and I tried honking, the gentle creature couldn't care less, had to reverse and take another route! Such are the streets of India.
Old 16th June 2006, 17:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, do whatever, but never flash at a cow!
Old 16th June 2006, 19:44   #9
BHPian

Hey! cheers for the bus driver from me too... but can be dangerous at high speeds.
Never had such experience with me...
Old 16th June 2006, 20:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

STELLAR!!... However I have personally had a couple of run in's with stray dogs during my bike days... you know how they suddenly come at you in some dark lane.. that dint end too well.. spent over 8k over two accidents that this caused.. That sparked a deviant approach... suffices to say all the dogs would dissappear at the sound of my bike!
Old 16th June 2006, 22:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

It happened to me once in gujarat while on my way to mumbai. Was driving at 120kmph when i saw two sheep standing in the opposite lane. I honked continuously for atleast 500mts before them. They heard me and started to go back...but something bizzare happened as soon as i was about to cross, the little one turned around and ran straight into my path.

I braked, I locked and thud i hit. I saw him fly...poor thing...i thought he was dead for sure. But he got up and crossed the road. It must have hurt to hit a car and break its headlight. Poor little thing.

Since then i learnt to slow down for animals, no matter how small they may be.

Cheers for the bus driver for saving the little ones life!!!

Drifter
Old 17th June 2006, 01:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

This happened a long time ago.

Vehicle: Merc E240 (the first model asembled in india)
Road: Madurai - Tirunelveli
Year: 97 or 98 (can't rmember properly)
Animal: Sheep
Outcome: The driver tried to avoid the animal, the car lost control, it went and hit a tree sideways and the Merc split into two. Unfortunately none of them survived, except the sheep.

The people in the car were my friend's relatives. The Merc guys came and took the car to analyse why it split into two.

It was a very sad incident. Stray animals shouldn't be allowed onto the road by their owners. Kerala is way much better that Karnataka or TN in this regard. No stray cows or sheep on any of the major roads of Kerala and that too unattended. I don't know why the owners let their cattle out to roam freely anywhere and everywhere they please. Sometimes i even see a few cows sleeping nicely on the middle of the road.
Old 17th June 2006, 02:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This happened a long time ago.

Vehicle: Merc E240 (the first model asembled in india)
Road: Madurai - Tirunelveli
Year: 97 or 98 (can't rmember properly)
Animal: Sheep
Outcome: The driver tried to avoid the animal, the car lost control, it went and hit a tree sideways and the Merc split into two. Unfortunately none of them survived, except the sheep.

The people in the car were my friend's relatives. The Merc guys came and took the car to analyse why it split into two.
I've heard about this. I believe they were travelling at over 200kph and none of them were strapped. The whole family died,i believe.

PS: Or maybe i'm assuming a different accident.
Old 17th June 2006, 07:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually knowlingly normal people would not go over a pup (for that matter any creature)
1100D, that is quite true, but it still doesnt take away any credit from the ST driver. Wish there were more people like him and you too.

Quote:
..... The result? The cat has to stop till the next dog passes by!
Must say you have a good sense of humor .

But then, watching out for the guy ahead is something I have learnt in a close-to-hard-way, and now am quite careful when passing a guy who has stopped - esp when it is a bigger vehicle thats blocking the view.
Hopefully with the newer highways being restricted access, stray animals on highways wont be that big a problem as they used to.
Old 17th June 2006, 22:46   #15
BHPian

I remember a really stunning experience. We were driving in a jeep when a dog crossed running from our right directly into the path of a very fast lorry. We were all shouting 'hey, hey, hey' (as if the lorry driver will hear us). He (I thought he was laughing) was not stopping at all. What happened next left us all stunned.
The dog lay flat on the road, the wheels and the lorry passed over it, then stood up and went back to the same side it started. The whole thing would have lasted a few seconds. I am still remembering it even after 20 years.
Though I will share this memory with y'all.

Sva

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks