Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2006, 11:19   #1
BANNED

Swift Dent

Hey guys,

My car is Swift

I hit a stone on the way and my bumper has got a dent.
Need ur suggestion. should i get it done in Maruthi service center or any local Garage.

The dent is of a size of cricket ball, and some scratches also around the dent

What would it approximately cost me?

Thanks in Advance
Alex
Old 19th June 2006, 11:34   #2
BHPian

go ask the dealer for an estimate first, that will give you an idea.
Old 19th June 2006, 11:57   #3
BHPian

Alex,

Get it done from your Maruthi Dealer, It should not cost you much as the dent is just a ball size. Scratches - Guess can't be done much, just leave as it is.
Old 13th October 2008, 19:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post
Alex,

Get it done from your Maruthi Dealer, It should not cost you much as the dent is just a ball size. Scratches - Guess can't be done much, just leave as it is.
Raps, you saying that since the scratch is on the bumper, you can't do much about it or you mean only dents can be repaired, but not much can be done about the scratches?
Old 14th October 2008, 00:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why leave the scratches as it is? You can and probably should get them both done together. You can claim insurance... but you'll the NCB... so see whats more profitable.

Suggest you not go to unauthorised garages unless you positively know hes good and have seen his work. Not that MASS always does a great job... but at least you can hold them accountable.

And as Sleepy said, get estimates.
Old 14th October 2008, 19:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Why leave the scratches as it is? You can and probably should get them both done together. You can claim insurance... but you'll the NCB... so see whats more profitable.

Suggest you not go to unauthorised garages unless you positively know hes good and have seen his work. Not that MASS always does a great job... but at least you can hold them accountable.

And as Sleepy said, get estimates.
Sorry for asking this stupid question, but you obviously get the insurance if you get it repaired from the dealer only right?

And in general, how much is the NCB?
Old 14th October 2008, 21:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

you need not go for a MASS it will cost you a bomb-shell,go to any local garage he will only charge 300/- to 400/-but the scratches remains as it is.he will remove the dents by heating the bumper and you will get a perfect shape of the bumper.

My friend also had the same dent on his swift for to right-side of the bumper,we got it removed from a local garrage,it took only 2hrs to remove it.we got it in a perfect shape.but he refused to remove the scratches as the color is pearl white and it will cost more.
Old 14th October 2008, 22:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Check the estimate from the MASS and then decide if it needs to be done there, or local garage or you need to claim insurance (by looking at how much you lose thru NCB).

PS: Shouldn't this be in Street Experience forum?
Old 17th October 2008, 13:12   #9
BHPian

It's hardly been a month I bought my Swift and it has

1) 1 dent and 2 scratches (peeling off the paint) on the bumper

2) A scratch and a small dent near the petrol tank cover

3) A dent on the front door handle
This is my first car and infact I learnt how to drive on this car

I was wondering, can the insurance be claimed ANYTIME? As in, considering the rate at which I am denting my poor baby, I want to wait for another couple of months and get everything done at one shot and claim insurance. Could that be done? Or should you get the dents repaired as and when you have it?

Sorry, I am new to all these things. And thanks for everyone's time

P.S. I am from Bangalore and stay in Indiranagar. If any of you could be kind enough to call or mail me, that would be great. Please PM me and I would give you a call
Old 17th October 2008, 14:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iswear View Post
It's hardly been a month I bought my Swift and it has

1) 1 dent and 2 scratches (peeling off the paint) on the bumper

2) A scratch and a small dent near the petrol tank cover

3) A dent on the front door handle
This is my first car and infact I learnt how to drive on this car

I was wondering, can the insurance be claimed ANYTIME? As in, considering the rate at which I am denting my poor baby, I want to wait for another couple of months and get everything done at one shot and claim insurance. Could that be done? Or should you get the dents repaired as and when you have it?

Sorry, I am new to all these things. And thanks for everyone's time

P.S. I am from Bangalore and stay in Indiranagar. If any of you could be kind enough to call or mail me, that would be great. Please PM me and I would give you a call
Welcome to Bangalore

Forget about anything on Bumper. You can get touchups done from MASS, but not worth it in BLR

If the dents are small, you can use vaccum suction to get the metal body to its original shape. Works most of the time

And why do you want to do anything with your insurance. Its meant for big things and you end up loosing your NCB

Enjoy your first ride and have fun

PS mine is also the first ride in my life, "Silver Star" swift. Couple of scratches here and there but have to live with it
Old 17th October 2008, 17:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Once again: Iswear, welcome to T-BHP and Bangalore.

Do not be too worried about the dents. They are a part of life, especially when you say you are new to driving.

And do not go for insurance unless the damage is too heavy.
Old 18th October 2008, 01:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iswear View Post
Sorry for asking this stupid question, but you obviously get the insurance if you get it repaired from the dealer only right?

And in general, how much is the NCB?
No, I believe you can get it done at a non-authorised garage too. Your car will need to be inspected by a surveyor appointed by the insurance company.

Currently, the max NCB stands at 50%. Also, as AFAIK, once you claim insurance, you will end up paying higher premiums even on the next couple consequative years. Then there is depreciation to account for. And also you may have to pay some fee for filing a claim (Rs. 500... may depend on the insurer). So the math is not that simple.

So please claim insurance only after you do the math and find that its more profitable for you.

If you ask me, if you are new to driving and all, and if you think you may do some more damange, it is very much worth waiting a while to "collect" your dents and scratches... and then do it all together. It will be very expensive otherwise.

More than worrying about whether the place you do the job is authorised or otherwise, you should check out the quality of work, equipment used, rates, quality of paint, etc. If you arent sure about all this, you are perhaps best off going to a MASS.

About 3 years ago, my dad gave the car to some non-authorised place. The job was done at a much cheaper rate, but one could actually see/feel small bumps on the pannels... like maybe it was hammered to remove the dents! The paint quality was also not upto the mark. So dont accept sub-standard work just because its cheaper!

Also, consider going in for an insurance like Royal Sundaram. They have some kinda 'cashless' facility - I just gave my car and documents to the MASS and they do everthing else, including getting the inspection done, etc. I had to pay Rs. 500 per claim. You can make only 2 claims at a time.... etc...
Old 20th October 2008, 09:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
you need not go for a MASS it will cost you a bomb-shell,go to any local garage he will only charge 300/- to 400/-but the scratches remains as it is.he will remove the dents by heating the bumper and you will get a perfect shape of the bumper.

My friend also had the same dent on his swift for to right-side of the bumper,we got it removed from a local garrage,it took only 2hrs to remove it.we got it in a perfect shape.but he refused to remove the scratches as the color is pearl white and it will cost more.

Ram, Can you tell me the location of this garage which can fix the bumper. Not able to find one in East Bangalore. Would very much appreciate if you can share the address
Old 20th October 2008, 14:05   #14
BHPian

Thanks lambuhere1, HappyWheels and Raccoon. That was pretty helpful and nice to know

Ya, now-a-days when I drive around BLR and see dents on other cars, I feel that probably this is all part of one's car ownership in Bangalore.
Old 25th September 2012, 22:01   #15
BHPian

Re: Swift Dent

My 4 month old Swift VDI was hit from behind by a silly Indica cab driver when i slowed down for a speed breaker! The bumper has a vertical line on it and looks more like a crack and as usual the side clips on which the bumper sits is jutting out now.

Am leaving the car for its 2nd free service tomorrow and will check with the SA on the costs of replacing it.

Has anyone replaced the rear bumper in their Swift and what was the cost? Also is it worth claiming insurance or better off paying cash? Kindly advise on the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks