Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 16:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Soon, Toll Payment via your Smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
By validation, if you mean an operator reading/scanning (which SMS will not support) some sort of confirmation code , it defeats the purpose of removing the manual intervention. A better system is to issue cards with a bar code. Scanning it and indicating to operator what is required (part/1 way/round trip) and getting a receipt will at least make it faster since there is no money exchanged.

It's cheap, no fancy technology like apps, smart cards, NFC and what not...
Ya , I think the app will not work (just my 2 cents). So far the card seems to be the best idea , but it should be centralized . Even if there are different operators for the road, it should not be a problem transferring the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
y

regarding round trip - it should be intelligent. if you are making the return payment within 24 hours of the first trip, you automatically get a cheaper ticket.

relax - let's not question every progressive system without adequate proof.
That's exactly what I was trying to tell. Thanks. Bluetooth , NFC , etc may be slower and can fail due to connectivity issues. Must come up with a system that has high up time.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 16:12   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

There are different ways of paying toll present all across the world (as mentioned by many users in previous posts also). Similar options are present in India also, I know of RFID based payment option in Bangalore (BETL).
However the issue is with a pan India adaptation of this. I travel through BETL almost 4-5 times a month. I never thought of getting their smart payment since it will be useful only for their toll booth and not 6 other toll booth I will come across on my way after that.

If there was a single payment system which will handle toll payments in atleast few of those toll booths I would have happily got that.

Indians are using ATM's widely since past 15 years or so. If the banking sector can link all those ATM's, that too of different banks together linking toll booths will not be an issue.
It is just that there has not been a drive in the right direction.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 21st November 2013 at 16:35.
Old 21st November 2013, 16:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

This would be beneficial for vehicles interested in paying monthly tolls. Even if you would have paid the toll using smartphone, you may still end up in the queue at the toll negating the efforts of mobile payments.

I remember there used to be a dedicated monthly pass toll lane dedicated to the monthly pass holders which was removed since the number of people to pay daily toll hogging the lanes.
Old 21st November 2013, 16:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The idea is good. But honestly before this, I would have appreciated something on the lines of centralized system based smart card which can then be used across all the tolls. During my recent trip to Mumbai, a distance of 450 kms from Vadoara, I encountered a total of 7-8 tolls and paid a total of around 400-500 Rs as toll. A smart card saves me the trouble of looking for change or waiting for the operator to give me change. Trust me its a hassle to everytime twist your neck trying to spot that sole sign board telling you about the toll amount and then finding the exact change or waiting for the operator to tender you change and then calculate it. A lot of time can be saved if we do away with these steps.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 16:37   #20
BHPian

Maybe this is a visceral reaction after just reading a horrifying thread about an i20 driver being impaled due to poor barrier design

I would prefer that the NHAI or MORTH invest such budgets in safety innovations for our highways before such mobile funkiness. And this is coming from a technophile who loves the latest and coolest...
Old 20th January 2014, 08:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The idea is good. But honestly before this, I would have appreciated something on the lines of centralized system based smart card which can then be used across all the tolls.
Exactly - this hits the nail on the head.
When it comes to automated systems for collecting tolls, the world has seen many such systems - smartcard, rfid, now mobile phone apps. But that does not solve the central problem, of long queues at the toll booths.
The solutions, I feel lie in following areas:

One, for long distance users, there should be a way to speed them on their way, by ensuring their choice of channel for automated toll payment is acceptable at all toll collection points en-route. An example that comes to mind is the EZ-Pass system developed in the tri-state area of NY, PA, NJ, DE in the US in the early 2000's. So if one is a member of the EZ-Pass, all one needs to do is keep recharging their account when balance goes down. They don't have to struggle with a smartcard for PA turnpike , another RFID device for the NJ turnpike and a third one for the Lincoln/Holland tunnel. So, in the Indian context - say take an example of NCR. We need one smartcard that would work on the DND flyway (connecting Delhi to UP), as well as the NH8 (connecting Delhi to Haryana)

Two, for the larger majority of users, there should be incentive to onboard this system (ie become members). Incentive can take various forms -
  • reducing the toll-fee for those opting in
  • providing them special offers from partners e.g. discount with participating retail chain etc.
  • disincentive in terms of reducing the number of cash-only lanes,
  • heavy penalty for anyone trying to pay cash in an automated lane
Three, strengthen the enforcement for those trying to subvert the system.
In Dubai for instance, users of Sheikh Zayed road are required to pay toll using Salik system (it's RFID based IIRC). Those who dont have Salik in the , are sent a hefty bill by month end. Failure to pay-up, can involve legal action.
How do they do it, when cars zip by at a minimum of 100 kmph on Sheikh Zayed Road? Well they have cameras installed, which capture the number plate , and then they have software which recognizes that plate number and then performs a lookup to determine who the owner is, and where he stays, and sends him a bill even compounding it for multiple offences. All this in real-time. All this requires that number plates are written in standard format - but, character recognition software are becoming increasingly better, so even if one has a fancy looking but illegal number plate, there won't be any fooling the software itself. Did you know , that character recognition software to read number plate is already installed on several toll-booths on NH2 (Delhi-Kolkata) highway?

So we have the technology, we just need to think of ways to deploy it in the way that works best for Indians.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 09:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Exactly - this hits the nail on the head.
When it comes to automated systems for collecting tolls, the world has seen many such systems - smartcard, rfid, now mobile phone apps. But that does not solve the central problem, of long queues at the toll booths.
The solutions, I feel lie in following areas:

One, for long distance users, there should be a way to speed them on their way, by ensuring their choice of channel for automated toll payment is acceptable at all toll collection points en-route. An example that comes to mind is the EZ-Pass system developed in the tri-state area of NY, PA, NJ, DE in the US in the early 2000's. So if one is a member of the EZ-Pass, all one needs to do is keep recharging their account when balance goes down. They don't have to struggle with a smartcard for PA turnpike , another RFID device for the NJ turnpike and a third one for the Lincoln/Holland tunnel. So, in the Indian context - say take an example of NCR. We need one smartcard that would work on the DND flyway (connecting Delhi to UP), as well as the NH8 (connecting Delhi to Haryana)

Two, for the larger majority of users, there should be incentive to onboard this system (ie become members). Incentive can take various forms -
  • reducing the toll-fee for those opting in
  • providing them special offers from partners e.g. discount with participating retail chain etc.
  • disincentive in terms of reducing the number of cash-only lanes,
  • heavy penalty for anyone trying to pay cash in an automated lane
Three, strengthen the enforcement for those trying to subvert the system.
In Dubai for instance, users of Sheikh Zayed road are required to pay toll using Salik system (it's RFID based IIRC). Those who dont have Salik in the , are sent a hefty bill by month end. Failure to pay-up, can involve legal action.
How do they do it, when cars zip by at a minimum of 100 kmph on Sheikh Zayed Road? Well they have cameras installed, which capture the number plate , and then they have software which recognizes that plate number and then performs a lookup to determine who the owner is, and where he stays, and sends him a bill even compounding it for multiple offences. All this in real-time. All this requires that number plates are written in standard format - but, character recognition software are becoming increasingly better, so even if one has a fancy looking but illegal number plate, there won't be any fooling the software itself. Did you know , that character recognition software to read number plate is already installed on several toll-booths on NH2 (Delhi-Kolkata) highway?

So we have the technology, we just need to think of ways to deploy it in the way that works best for Indians.
This seems to be a fantastic system for implementation.
But I am afraid as, I foresee a lot of resistance in implementing due to the level of discipline required in making it a success.
Further, atleast 3 out of 10 no. plates are fancy ones in India at any point of time. IMHO.
So what ever advantages we get with the good 7 will be simply washed away by the remaining 3 of these 10 cars, again forcing us for long quees.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 09:49   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Very well put. Every one of those points make sense. And I do not agree with this notion that most people have that few errant drivers will still not comply. If there is proper implementation of laws coupled with hefty and swift fines then more than 99% of the people will comply. Simple examples of this are the seat belt rule in Delhi. Earlier people showed so much resistance but not invariably you will see even taxi drivers wear it. Same goes for the helmet for two wheelers including the pillion. Again that was met with considerable resistance but the cops persisted and now most bikers wear helmets in Delhi. The recent sun film rule is another very good example. Almost all cars in Delhi are without films today.

What we see on our toll booths is mayhem created due to bad enforcement. The day you start collecting fines from anyone jumping the queue or getting in the wrong queue, you will see every driver magically falling into queues however long they are. A smart card prevents another bug hassle that is people stopping at the toll booth and then wasting minutes locating change. Its very annoying.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 10:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
This seems to be a fantastic system for implementation.
But I am afraid as, I foresee a lot of resistance in implementing due to the level of discipline required in making it a success.
Sir,

It's also not that users don't/won't onboard a new way of doing things - i.e. it's not our resistance to change. It's more about the resistance to change that is endemic in the established ecosystem of NHAI and its partners responsible to bring conveniences to users like you and me.

Proper implementation of such initiatives, takes a visionary leader who has a lot of empowerment and who has a sponsor at the very highest levels of government. Case in point is Sreedharan, who was openly championed by our PM and highest level of ruling party when he took on the task of building the Metro rail in New Delhi.
Such leaders exist, but they are quite rare in the organs of government. Thus not everyone gets the kind of carte-blanche empowerment which Sreedharan received. Some may argue, that it is this kind of empowerment which leads to corruption (example of Commonwealth games).
But the real issue is choosing the right person to do the job, empowering him/her to get it done, and ensuring sponsorship of the work and its success is visible to all.
IMHO, that's the way vested interests in maintaining status quo are ultimately displaced and defeated.
Old 26th June 2016, 11:38   #25

This idea should look something like what's in the attachment .Open road toll is a common operation in the US where RFID owners can travel on toll roads and register their toll by passing under the RFID detectors.these detectors will automatically deduct the amount from the RFID in the car or notify users to pay online if the balance is low. Drivers without an RFID can pay with cash on a toll booth on an alternate "pit stop".those without RFID and not paying cash on tollbooth have 7 days to pay it online else a letter with fine comes at their home as the cameras capture the vehicle number too. The toll amount paid by RFID owners is almost half of what's paid in cash.benefit is less traffic jams on toll booths. much less disputes. Increased efficiency in toll collection. Less manpower required to maintain.
Attached Thumbnails
Soon, Toll Payment via your Smartphone-1466920857513.jpg  

Old 25th July 2016, 18:01   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axl7madrose View Post
.Open road toll is a common operation in the US where RFID owners can travel on toll roads and register their toll by passing under the RFID detectors.
This is similar to what 'Fastag' system implemented by NHAI is. Though, you are required to slow down for RFID scanning at toll booths, system once (if) widely accepted would decrease toll booth queues to a large extent.

It is discussed elsewhere in forum here.
Old 17th January 2017, 11:46   #27
BHPian

Book My Toll - Android App

Hi,

Has anyone used this app named "Book My Toll" for paying toll. One of the toll booths in Chennai (bypass) is recommending this app. But it asks for all the details including phone, name, email, vehicle number etc. Was not very sure if anyone has tried or know more about how this app works.
Old 18th January 2017, 13:27   #28
BHPian

Re: Book My Toll - Android App

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Hi,

Has anyone used this app named "Book My Toll" for paying toll. One of the toll booths in Chennai (bypass) is recommending this app. But it asks for all the details including phone, name, email, vehicle number etc. Was not very sure if anyone has tried or know more about how this app works.
I saw this sign as well on the Chennai Bypass road and was curious on how this works. Planning to try it out the next time I go there.

It looks like it is a private player who has a tie-up with some of the toll booths. Here is an explanation from their website:
Quote:
BookMyToll is a Mobile Application developed for automating the toll payment on Indian National Highways and various city’s Outer ring roads. After downloading the app, the user has to enlist the vehicles mentioning the vehicle type, make and the vehicle registration number. The user can select one vehicle as default vehicle that implies the toll payment is enabled for that vehicle. If the user is traveling by another vehicle, he can change and choose that vehicle as default one. The user has to link his digital wallet with BookMyToll so that that payment will be done directly from that wallet.
BookMyToll will be installing a smart device few kms before the toll centres. That smart device will detect the user vehicle and will initiate the toll payment process. BookMyToll from the database will compute the toll amount of that particular centre for that vehicle and will deduct that amount from the user’s digital wallet. By the time the vehicle reaches the toll centre, his toll is already paid. This information will be conveyed to the toll operator and he will enable the vehicle pass through the gate.

BookMyToll is negotiating with the toll centres and will be constantly updating this space with the toll centres information that has been enrolled with BookMyToll.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks