Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 13:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Briefcase theft from my Car. Rear window broken!

This is an eye-opener.
Lot of learnings for everyone of us from this.

BTW: Will credit card companies protect you from the misuse of the stolen cards (Rs. 7500)?
Old 24th January 2014, 13:59   #47
BHPian

It is funny how we tend to laugh at, when the company security team flashes these skits explaining how thefts could happen. We generally laugh at the poor quality of skit/video and how silly people could be until it really happens with you. I can only relate to what happened to you, really sorry. The fact that one is cheated lives on longer than the financial and other losses. We should be happy that no one is harmed.

Btw, one other thing to note (again from the wisdom of security folks): store your stuff, however insignificant, in the trunk and do this when you start from the source and not at the destination. I notice people come to a shopping mall and open the trunk and put their laptop bag in before they get into the mall. That's a great invitation to these experts. They don't even need to look anywhere else!

My brother had a similar experience recently. He had his note 2 in the passenger seat while driving near bommanahalli jn which is a pretty busy place. A guy walked over and slapped his driver side mirror hard. Brother was very furious, he unlocked to get down and before he could give piece of his mind, the guy disappeared. He didn't even get down from his car, the note 2 disappeared from the passenger seat! The whole stealing act was very professionally done and in no time. Lesson learn't but in a hard way.

Last edited by chakri400 : 24th January 2014 at 14:10.
Old 24th January 2014, 14:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

Motion detectors should be fit in cars which detect any motion when the car is locked.

These are fit on the top two corners of the windscreen, and sound a alarm ( which is your car horn ) if it detects a motion inside the car when car is locked via remote locking.It comes cheap, the one fitted in my nano cost me only 2800.

My relative's Swift dzire mate similar fate on a busy eating outlet in Sion, Mumbai - Gurukripa in broad daylight.
When I was in pune these kind of car breakings was commonly reported in local papers, most of them occurring in open parking lots in busy hours of the day.

Last edited by silverado : 24th January 2014 at 14:01.
Old 24th January 2014, 14:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Can't say much here BlueVolt.
It happens. Shrug your shoulders and move on. I have little hopes from Police.
Usually they are hand in gloves with the thieves and take a share from them on weekly basis.

Height of corruption in the Police is in my native place. There were string of robberies and when my Dad's friend went to lodge an FIR, Police scolded him for keeping his Almirah locked. If it was unlocked then at least Almirah would have been saved. So now people keep all stuff in Bank lockers and will you believe it, they keep their Almirah unlocked !!!! To minimize losses !!!

Desperate thieves are now making off with Sarees. All this while Police sit and scratch their....
Old 24th January 2014, 14:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Motion detectors should be fit in cars which detect any motion when the car is locked. These are fit on the top two corners of the windscreen, and sound a alarm ( which is your car horn ) if it detects a motion inside the car when car is locked via remote locking.It comes cheap, the one fitted in my nano cost me only 2800.
Interesting! Where do you get these?
Old 24th January 2014, 14:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
This was a part of remote locking kit that I bought from dealer,Just dug out my thread, the precise amount including the remote locking system was Rs3250.

Its Security system TKE 2180 4A.Sorry I don't remember the name of the company though.
Old 26th January 2014, 13:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
seems like no end to such break-ins...

This happened to more than a year back on the ring road near Hebbal lake garden in North Bangalore.

Police not ready to register a FIR not even ready to accept written complaint

Big lesson learnt and since I don't leave anything in my Scorpio, if forced to I ensure I keep it under the back bench seat away from direct sight. Sedans have an advantage with the boot.
In such situations the first important thing is to get the FIR on time which I was able to do so. My main concern was to get the FIR because I know sometimes it is tough to get the FIR than the valuables you lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
He called up PCR and registered a complaint, but when the police was behaving as least bothered. He made few phone calls to few people in Media he knew. Luckily within 6 hours, his bag was traced with everything intact.
Indeed it was luck that he got everything intact else laptop and cash would have gone easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
This is an eye-opener.
Lot of learnings for everyone of us from this.

BTW: Will credit card companies protect you from the misuse of the stolen cards (Rs. 7500)?
I have contacted Axis bank overt this last evening and they told me that someone from concerned department will contact me asap.

Quote:
It is funny how we tend to laugh at, when the company security team flashes these skits explaining how thefts could happen. Lesson learn't but in a hard way.
That's the only way to prevent such happenings. Never keep a gadget/bag/briefcase unattended in your car.

Quote:
Motion detectors should be fit in cars which detect any motion when the car is locked.

These are fit on the top two corners of the windscreen, and sound a alarm ( which is your car horn ) if it detects a motion inside the car when car is locked via remote locking.It comes cheap, the one fitted in my nano cost me only 2800.

My relative's Swift dzire mate similar fate on a busy eating outlet in Sion, Mumbai - Gurukripa in broad daylight.
When I was in pune these kind of car breakings was commonly reported in local papers, most of them occurring in open parking lots in busy hours of the day.
Such systems still will not be able to totally prevent these incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Can't say much here BlueVolt.
It happens. Shrug your shoulders and move on. I have little hopes from Police.
Usually they are hand in gloves with the thieves and take a share from them on weekly basis.

Height of corruption in the Police is in my native place. There were string of robberies and when my Dad's friend went to lodge an FIR, Police scolded him for keeping his Almirah locked. If it was unlocked then at least Almirah would have been saved. So now people keep all stuff in Bank lockers and will you believe it, they keep their Almirah unlocked !!!! To minimize losses !!!

Desperate thieves are now making off with Sarees. All this while Police sit and scratch their....
Police is of no use. It's about one week since this happened and there is not even a single pointer from their side!

Quote:
Quote:
This was a part of remote locking kit that I bought from dealer,Just dug out my thread, the precise amount including the remote locking system was Rs3250.

Its Security system TKE 2180 4A.Sorry I don't remember the name of the company though.
I will too search for such security systems in car accessory market.
Old 26th January 2014, 19:46   #53
BHPian

Team,
It is high time to have a CCTV Camera & Recorder inside the car. My cousin is already developing the same.
TeddyBear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 20:04   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Police is of no use. It's about one week since this happened and there is not even a single pointer from their side!
This statement is a universal truth in these cases. For them these cases have no significance. This may sound so strange but it is true. But yes, if you would have belonged to an influential political class or from the bureaucratic or IPS fraternity, the SHO would have gone out of the way to crack this case. The police stations do have a record of all the mischievous elements operating in the area and indulging in these activities. It is just, that they don't wasn't to help.

Recently, a colleague of mine lost his wallet and by the time he could have acted he started getting messages of his credit card usage. The cards were subsequently blocked but by then the damage was done. He took my help and we managed to get the CCTV footage from the stores and shared them with the police thinking this will help them with the investigation.

However, they have till date taken no cognizance of the same. The bank in this case was HDFC Bank and they also didn't help much as the loss was reported after the transaction had taken place. My friend paid to the bank and reporting to police was reduced to a mere formality for getting duplicate documents like Driving Licence and PAN card etc. that he was carrying with him at that time.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Team,
It is high time to have a CCTV Camera & Recorder inside the car. My cousin is already developing the same.
Don't dual camera DVRs do exactly that?
Old 27th January 2014, 00:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Don't dual camera DVRs do exactly that?
Dear phamilyman, I think that we may put the best of the cameras or DVRs but they will be of no use. They will hardly act as deterrent to these mischievous elements.

if we see the track record how many ATM robberies and car thefts have been solved when the actual culprits have been captured on camera. I do recall an instance where a lady was attacked inside an ATM recently and the footage clearly shows the culprit, but the case remains unsolved.

Sir, it is the inefficiency of the police department which takes no interest in putting a full stop to this menace.

More than anything, it requires the "will, conviction and dedication" of police to bring end to such cases. We may agree that this is not a 100% solution but still it can bring the crime rate down to some extent.
Old 27th January 2014, 11:48   #57
BHPian

Hi Bluevolt, very sorry to hear about your theft, I guess last week was a week of destined thefts in similar manners for both of us,

I usually go to work with my dad, but last week on the 20th January my dad was returning from work alone, at around 6.30pm near Maniklal (Ghatkopar-Mumbai) in a crowded traffic situation,

A guy around my car started shouting that accidentally my dad had driven the car over his leg, by that time other 2-3 men came , knocked on the windows telling my dad to take reverse, someone telling him to take ahead and basically confusing him, meanwhile another guy was like at-least open the windows so as to talk properly, my dad panicked and opened the window, as soon as he did that one of the guys put his hand inside and flicked my dad's Samsung Note 3.

Nothing that he could do about it, we went to the police station and filed a complaint, the policemen asked me to inquire about the phone after a month,though I don't think we will be getting it back.
Old 29th January 2014, 14:58   #58
BHPian

@BlueVolt: Really sad to hear about the incident.
Getting the duplicate govt cards issued, seem to be scary because of all the involved paperwork/trips to govt offices.
I would say just take a plunge & start the process & it will get over sooner than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Any transaction done without PIN/Password can be marked as disputed & more often than not the genuine disputes get resolved in customer's favors.
This is the reason that the RBI is mandating a PIN based Chip card (both Debit & Credit) these days as PIN based transactions cannot be marked as disputed, as the bank says that if a PIN has been entered then the transaction has to be done by the owner himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
meanwhile another guy was like at-least open the windows so as to talk properly, my dad panicked and opened the window, as soon as he did that one of the guys put his hand inside and flicked my dad's Samsung Note 3.
This is the very reason I keep all the valuables(or stuff looking valuable) in my car outside of direct visibility from outside.
Even if the wallet/briefcase might not be containing any cash, I would still prefer to keep it out of sight as it might be tempting for the thief to break in & that would cause the cost/headache of window repair at the least.
Old 29th January 2014, 16:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the experience. There are many lessons in this incident for me.
  • Do not leave valuables/ bags visible in the car.
  • Carry duplicates instead of originals in the wallet.
  • Do not carry much cash.
  • Do not blindly trust people who approach with help/ warnings.
  • Do not leave the car in secluded places.
  • Get the best security system for the car.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 29th January 2014 at 16:34.
Old 31st January 2014, 09:55   #60
BHPian

Sad that you lost all that money and associated pain...

A similar thing happened to me about 2 yrs back.
The scene was set opposite to M.K AHmed super market in HSR layout bangalore at a peak time of around 5pm.

Lots of people milling round, nearby chat shops doing brisk business, stones throw away from an RTO team doing spot inspections/fines..

I had parked my car opposite to Mkahmed super market and went in to buy some milk and was out in not more than 5-10 mins max..

I had kept my laptop bag (minus my laptop) in the rear seat of my alto...
I came back to see the rear lh window broken and the bag missing... No alarm sounded (I've installed autocop with body sensor, etc..)

Since my laptop was in my office, my loss was limited to the bag, plus an ipod which was there in the bag, my personal organizer..
the collateral damage was fixing up of the glass (it was raining and on a saturday).. i had to wait for 2 or 3 days to get a replacement glass

went to HSR layout Police station : NO use whatsoever....

I was wondering why the alarm didn't sound... i learned that these people use diamond cutters to cut the glass and use a hook to pull out the items

real slick, since they could do this in a crowded place and in less than 5 mins..

lessons learned: NEVER leave bags in the boot or on the seat, even if it is not containing anything of value! push it under the seat, throw some old paper/clothes or take it with you..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks