Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 11:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Number Plate mistakes by car dealerships

I don't know the procedure in Bangalore, but in Mumbai the RTO receipt always mentions the Regn No. So one has to check the paperwork. When I got back to my office, I saw that the number on the RTO receipt was ....66 but the number plate was ....68. I brought it to the notice of the dealer on phone who initially felt that there may be a mistake in the receipt but he would check it out. However it was a mistake by them (conveying reg. no. on phone) and immediately (within a couple of hours) arranged to have fresh plates installed.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 02:38   #17
BHPian

My fathers chevy was running on a MH 01 VA #### for 3 years plus on the license plates issued by the dealer till the service center was changed and the other dealer pointed out that the number as per RC is actually MH 01 YA ####.

Since it was a difference of a V and Y it was somehow missed out all these years. Yes I know it was pretty careless though on our part.

VVB
vvb8530 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 14:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

While it is easy to blame the owner for overlooking this error made by dealer, we must not forget that buying a car is an occasion and in most cases the owner and his family are super excited to get the car in hand, especially if it is the first time.

In such a scenario the owner might overlook this error.
In smaller cities where you get the car first and then the number, this error might not occur so often.

Last edited by silverado : 25th January 2014 at 14:20.
Old 25th January 2014, 15:23   #19
BHPian

Me & my friend had different experiences with a Ford Figo we purchased in Bangalore.

For my car, during delivery, I was given a road tax paid receipt and asked to wait until the RC smart card is delivered to me. After 3 days, I noticed that the tax receipt was of a fiesta. Ultimately, I forced the dealer to share me the phone number of the fiesta owner and then I contacted him directly and completed the exchange. --> Metro ford

For my friend, the number plate switch happened. He knew what his car number was as per RC card, but did not bother to check the number plate. He realized this after a week when he paid a toll on NH7 and saw the receipt which had a totally different number. --> Lathangi ford
Old 25th January 2014, 18:39   #20
BHPian

When I purchased my bike the dealer gave the number MH02AMXXXX on my bike. When the RC book arrived it was MH02ANXXXX!

Btw, I have seen a car having number on front plate different from number on rear plate. The best part was that the actual number was different from both these numbers! It happened when I worked as a Service Advisor in a dealership in 2006.
Old 25th January 2014, 20:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

The guy is lucky the police have not implemented any 'points' system for driving infractions.
And talking about the police - was he never stopped by a cop for even a misdemeanor - such as jumping a light? This may have come to light much sooner.
Old 26th January 2014, 03:19   #22
BHPian

All these instances of mix ups and carelessness all seems so hilarious, but one can't ignore the fact that these can land people in a hot soup on a bad day. Imagine a guy running your plates does a hit and run (say similar model and two cars running same numbers) and the cops show up at your workplace with a warrant and drag you out. Nightmare situation right?

I had the following experience in a Suzuki dealership. I was doing a PDI for my friend and the Accessories guy was showing us other cars with the options we were going in for. I noticed that one of the Swift had different numbers in the front and back. When I did point out, he was like that's the customers mistake will inform him/her.

I got my Polo GT TSI last May and I have attached the initial RC I was issued. Check out for yourself and see how many glaring mistakes the RTO have made. The dealer should have been more proactive in getting these things right the first time, considering the so called 'Handling charges' we were made to pay.

Though most of the errors were corrected, my RC book still reads Type of Body:Sedan. They supposedly can't change it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Number Plate mistakes by car dealerships-image.jpg  

Last edited by delta5 : 26th January 2014 at 03:21.
Old 26th January 2014, 15:58   #23
BHPian

I have always observed one thing when i see RC smart cards of my relatives/friends cars registered at different places in and outside Kerala. Most if not none of the RTOs know about the hatchback body type. For RTOs all hatchbacks are saloons it seems. I have a Maruti Ritz 1.2 Vxi registered in Mattancherry Cochin. For me also the type of body is printed as saloon. Guess nothing can be done about it. But it is a glaring mistake nonetheless.
aswin ajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 18:52   #24

I Had Similar Experience when i got my Duster's Plates, The guy had misinterpreted the last two digits of registration numbers and was going to fix the plates on my car. I noticed the mistake and immediately informed him !
Old 27th January 2014, 07:55   #25
BHPian

Me and my friend had this experience with our Figo.

My friend purchased his Figo from Lathangi motors Bangalore. He knows his car number on the RC smart card, but forgot to pay attention to the number plate fixed. It was only after a month when he was on NH7 paying a toll and taking the receipt that he noticed that the number was different.

When I got my Figo from Metro ford, the road tax receipt given to me was of a Fiesta vehicle. Thankfully, I realized this within two days & I had to pester Metro to connect me to the owner of the Fiesta. Ultimately, we both owners had to meet at a mutual place and exchange our receipts.

The excitement of taking a new car home is overwhelming & things like these are overlooked. When I moved on to my Eritga now, I ensured I had the T-BHP checklist with me
Old 27th January 2014, 08:30   #26
BHPian

My friend was a Branch manager in recovery department of car loan in Bangalore. There was this guy who had bought a Scorpio top end model in 2011 and had not paid the EMI after the 3rd Installment.

When the Bank team contacted this guy, they were surpurised by the answer the guy gave.

The guy said that the car is no longer hypothecated to the Bank and he will not pay the loan amount, and the Bank is free to do what ever they want.

My friend started to check the paper work and he was surprised that the Bank doesn't have any paper work from the RTO. Apparently, the dealer or the RTO goofed up while registration of the Scorpio. Instead of hyothecation to actual bank, RTO had put the name of a different bank on the RC book.

The scorpio owner realizing this, simply approached the other bank and made a ruckus. The other bank issued a NOC without realizing that there is a outstanding loan from a different bank. The owner got the Hypothecation cancelled and is enjoying a 12 Lakh car.

There is nothing the Bank can do in this case, other than take a legal course and rate this guy down in CIBIL.

Sometime we can't believe the level of mistake the dealers and RTO can do.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 15:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

The guy said that the car is no longer hypothecated to the Bank and he will not pay the loan amount, and the Bank is free to do what ever they want.

Regards
This person has signed the hypothecation documents when applying for a loan. He can be charged with fraud and cheating as he has availed the loan from the bank. It is surprising to hear that the bank feels it cannot do anything.
Old 27th January 2014, 16:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

We bought two Esteems in 97 both VX and Both were Sea Green color. We got the cars registered together and Our driver mixed the R/C's and we only came to know in 2005 went we were trying to dispose both of them.

Last edited by manikjeet : 27th January 2014 at 16:22.
Old 27th January 2014, 16:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thank God it was a LOL Moment and not a Behind-Bars-got-a-lawyer#? Moment...

IMHO its the owners fault. The amount of time one (during delivery) spends on scanning for scratches, temple visits, etc - if one spends 1-2 minutes in reading out loud the VIN-Engine-Chassis# & cross chk RC book upon receipt of the book (RC comes a month after registeration), this would have not happened so much down the line.

Yes, the RC will go thru a correction, but its understandable during resale.

Wonder why is this age old practice is dying a slow death, that too after the advent of focus groups online such as Tbhp and others... actually it should be other way around!

Last edited by svsantosh : 27th January 2014 at 16:51.
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 13:51   #30
BHPian

Guess I'd better check the RC for my car ASAP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks