Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 18:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Mysore highway loses some of its humps

All this is hogwash. No speed breakers have reduced, instead they have put in new ones while putting fresh tar on the roads. Especially the super horrible ones on the outskirts of Channapatna for no scientific reason whatsoever.

There still are huge speed humps in front of all major eateries on this road.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 18:49   #17
BHPian

My last trip to Mysore was horrible. There is one area just after bidadi where there is a 6-8 contiguous hump cluster. Traffic pile up at this area results in utter chaos with folks (unfortunately those sporting the live-to-drive stickers too) going in the wrong side adding to the mess!

The policemen in Channapatna and Maddur give priority to the bylanes. That adds pileup.

Most of the problems in Mysore road can be solved without 6 laning. 'Low hanging fruits' which has become the most used words these days
kvish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 19:30   #18
BHPian

I did this route last Wednesday and Sunday. Though the road is good, it is spoilt by the speed breakers. Every 3 - 4 kms you encounter one hump and bring down the speed. No wonder, the B'lore Mysore road takes upto 4 hrs to cover and the traffic makes it a chaotic drive.

Bringing down the speed breakers is a good move but they have to be considerably reduced....

Did not take the Kanakapura route, is it the same with so many speed humps?
Old 28th May 2014, 00:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
The Kanakpura road is a national highway for most part. Generally, there will not be any speed humps on national highways unless and otherwise it is unavoidable like near railway crossings!
Old 28th May 2014, 08:30   #20
BHPian

I do frequent trips on Mysore Road while going to Coorg. Speed breakers are just one of my worries on Mysore Road. Though I felt that few humps have disappeared in the area where the road has been newly laid. I thought it was a election gimmick

Overall, the Mysore Road is a nightmare to drive during day time and biggest culprits are -

1. Eating Joints with big neon sign board and attenders trying to lure cars to stop.
2. Abruptly stopping cars for these joints and taking reverse in one way when they miss the entrance.
3. Cars stopping for Tender Coconut/Jack Fruit etc.. parking the car half on the highway and then enjoying them selves to glory
4. Bullock carts coming in wrong direction after dumping the sugar cane in the dark.

Plus all the speed breakers, stunt drivers, KSRTC Buses, Private Buses, Sand Trucks, Tata Aces carrying tender coconuts,.etc.

OT: By the way a lot more humps have come up between Hunsur and Kushalanagar as if it was taken away from mysore road and fixed on Madiker Road. Nightmare it was to spot the new humps.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 18:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
My last trip to Mysore was horrible. There is one area just after bidadi where there is a 6-8 contiguous hump cluster. Traffic pile up at this area results in utter chaos with folks (unfortunately those sporting the live-to-drive stickers too) going in the wrong side adding to the mess!

The policemen in Channapatna and Maddur give priority to the bylanes. That adds pileup.

Most of the problems in Mysore road can be solved without 6 laning. 'Low hanging fruits' which has become the most used words these days
You are right kvish! The hump cluster near innovative film city is so scary and so UNSCIENTIFCALLY built I always wonder what it might do to our much loved cars.

Last night when I took a trip to Raasta I noticed that the road after Bidadi has improved and no humps were there from Bidadi till Raasta atleast probably due to new tar. But apart from that its all the same and no humps have been reduced because I virtually live on Mysore Road and I haven't found any difference except increase in the number of roadblocks due to police barricades at night.

Talking about these rash drivers with LTD stickers, I think many of them do not even have the original stickers purchased from TeamBHP rather they look different. As in the shade of yellow, the size of the font, size of the sticker etc. are all unusual. I have seen a lot of stickers like that in Bangalore. So I guess these guys are'nt true BHPians and just get these stickers printed from local shops just because the motto "Live To Drive" is plain cool. Sorry this is off-topic but I just remembered about these fake stickers when you mentioned about rash drivers with LTD stickers.

Happy Motoring!
fazonater1911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 23:19   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
You are right kvish! The hump cluster near innovative film city is so scary and so UNSCIENTIFCALLY built I always wonder what it might do to our much loved cars.
The cabbies have figured out an 'innovative' solution to tackle this cluster of speed breakers and here's how:
they make a slight left (there's a small island at that junction) and then turn right just after the island to get back on to the highway! (they are using the path for traffic in the opposite directionc coming out of the Innovative/Toyota campus Road).

I saw this first hand when a cab who was on the left lane suddenly turned to the left and then got back to the highway from the other side of the island
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 02:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The cabbies have figured out an 'innovative' solution to tackle this cluster of speed breakers and here's how:
they make a slight left (there's a small island at that junction) and then turn right just after the island to get back on to the highway! (they are using the path for traffic in the opposite directionc coming out of the Innovative/Toyota campus Road).

I saw this first hand when a cab who was on the left lane suddenly turned to the left and then got back to the highway from the other side of the island
Oh ya you are right bro. Even I have seen this. The same thing used to happen even near the turn that leads to university road from Mysore road. Even huge bmtc buses used to do such wicked things. Now somehow this practice has stopped.
Old 29th May 2014, 10:43   #24
BHPian

My native being Mysore, I travel regularly between Bangalore and Mysore. The humps have indeed made the drive miserable. Not only do they increase the travel time, they also eat into the mileage of the cars. 2 minutes in 5th gear and its time to go back to 1st or 2nd again !!

Few stretches were asphalted lately and few of the humps had been smoothened out, would be really great if they can remove the humps altogether as BM mentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
I generally take the Kanakpura road If I am leaving Mysore during the day time. The complete stretch does not have any medians and hence night driving can be a bit of a pain. From Malavalli onwards, till Bangalore it is a National Highway and road is very good. Mysore to Malavalli although not a National Highway, the road is quite decent. Haven't counted the humps on this route, but definitely very few along the route. If travelling to some place in South Bangalore, this is definitely the better option during weekends when the Mysore Bangalore road has tremendous traffic.
ashbhat2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 11:25   #25
BHPian

It was high time that these ugly, unscientific and unmarked humps were removed. I have travelled this road couple of times and not only are these humps unnecessary, you cannot see them till last minute on a sunny day (mirage effect) and you end up jumping one increasing the chance of accident. I survived few in one trip
I took the Kankapura road to Mysore and it had Zero humps till the Malavalli and precisely 6 or 8 humps after that till Mysore.

What all did I gain ?
a) Beautiful scenic road covered by trees and blooming gulmohar throughout
b) No speed breakers
c) Good roads (not excellent but you can drive peacefully at 100 Km/Hr without worrying for uncertainties)
d) Saved on the toll : EC --> Kanakpura exit toll is nearly half that of EC --> Mysore road toll
e) Time taken to reach Mysore is faster or at the maximum same.
f) Got a better mileage as I could cruise effortlessly in 6th gear at 90 km/hr for miles without worrying albeit overtaking.

What all did I loose ?
a) 4 lane road : 2 lane roads are a tad risky but if you are a non aggressive driver, not taking risks it should not be a problem as traffic is scarce
b) Eateries : Almost nil eateries but who cares if you plan well
c) Road from Bennur to Mysore is not that good but still way better than Bangalore city roads

Last edited by Cooltronics : 29th May 2014 at 11:26. Reason: more info
Old 29th May 2014, 16:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post

Talking about these rash drivers with LTD stickers, I think many of them do not even have the original stickers purchased from TeamBHP rather they look different. As in the shade of yellow, the size of the font, size of the sticker etc. are all unusual. I have seen a lot of stickers like that in Bangalore. So I guess these guys are'nt true BHPians and just get these stickers printed from local shops just because the motto "Live To Drive" is plain cool. Sorry this is off-topic but I just remembered about these fake stickers when you mentioned about rash drivers with LTD stickers.

Happy Motoring!
Yes, I saw a lot of these LTD stickers on my trip to Hassan last week. Unfortunately, I couldn't click a picture. They're cheap imitation is all I can say.

On the topic of road humps themselves, this is one reason I hate driving my Figo within Bangalore. Hope the government does something about the chassis-breakers within the city as well.
Old 29th May 2014, 16:29   #27
BHPian

I am not sure here , but i heard that the NICE road was actually planned till Mysore ? Is that correct? I believe the clove leaf intersection is the place from where the road to Mysore starts. Not sure how true it is.
The toll would be heavy , but if it happens will reduce a lot of traffic on SH.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napo View Post
but i heard that the NICE road was actually planned till Mysore ? Is that correct?
Yes, that is true. Infact there is a sign board on NICE road which suggests you to take a left much before the SH-17/ Mysore road is reached.
You can get a detailed report of the same here. However considering that it is around 20 years since this was first planned I feel the plan is very much dead.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napo View Post
I am not sure here , but i heard that the NICE road was actually planned till Mysore ? Is that correct? I believe the clove leaf intersection is the place from where the road to Mysore starts. Not sure how true it is.
The toll would be heavy , but if it happens will reduce a lot of traffic on SH.
The NICE road was in fact initially planned between Mysore and Bangalore. It was called the Bangalore Mysore Infrastructure Corridor or BMIC.
It does start from the clove leaf intersection as you mentioned. Unfortunately it has been marred with political controversies from the time it started. The road construction stopped mid way. Google even shows the part of the BMIC that was constructed.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@12.87...77.4928808,13z

In fact, there still exists a direction board on NICE road that shows the way to Mysore through the BMIC. Only you would hit a dead end if you followed that road.
Old 29th May 2014, 18:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes, that is true. Infact there is a sign board on NICE road which suggests you to take a left much before the SH-17/ Mysore road is reached.
You can get a detailed report of the same here. However considering that it is around 20 years since this was first planned I feel the plan is very much dead.
I assume so , it may not take off. While reading i found some of the concerns valid as well. I think the delay in rehabilitation plans is one of the major hurdles in our development plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
The NICE road was in fact initially planned between Mysore and Bangalore. It was called the Bangalore Mysore Infrastructure Corridor or BMIC.
It does start from the clove leaf intersection as you mentioned. Unfortunately it has been marred with political controversies from the time it started. The road construction stopped mid way. Google even shows the part of the BMIC that was constructed.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/@12.87...77.4928808,13z

In fact, there still exists a direction board on NICE road that shows the way to Mysore through the BMIC. Only you would hit a dead end if you followed that road.
I did see that , even thought of driving down once , but was not sure about the road conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks