Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 12:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Traffic checking in Kerala to be videographed

A welcome move IMO, if implemented properly. The news given in below link is from a year back (15 May 2013).

What prompted me to start this thread is yesterday's news in local dailies about a circular from the DGP, asking all police checks to be videographed. Nevertheless, I am still seeing police checking without Cameras.

Traffic checking in Kerala to be videographed
Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle4716833.ece

Quote:
The police officers are expected to engage in that duty at various points on the National and State highways and at important traffic points to make drivers adhere to traffic rules and regulations. Mr. Balasubramanian mentions in the order that “it is seen that this lawful duty of the police has been distorted by various sections of the public and a section of the media to give the impression that the police are harassing the public by indulging in corruption and inhumanly hunting down drivers who are not wearing helmets or seatbelts.” This has led to law and order problems and even rioting on some occasions, Mr. Balasubramanian pointed out. The order says that a good number of such allegations can be countered if a proper video coverage on the whole traffic checking exercise is done. All Circle Inspectors and most police stations have been have been provided with video cameras, said Mr. Balasubramanian.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2014 at 13:31. Reason: Keeping the fair usage policy in mind, it's best to share an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 10:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Traffic checking in Kerala to be videographed

Traffic checkings at regular points were not being seen for over two weeks (probably because of the directive to videograph checkings). Yesterday I saw police checking at a regular point. One of the policeman had a normal (still shot) camera in his hand, but he was not using it. Not sure whether they even know how to use the still camera.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

The directive also says that videographing is NOT required if the check points are set on a urgent basis - for eg: when they receive message of a suspect vehicle moving in an area etc. The still camera (if it is digital, I guess it can also record video for a few mins) could be used to take snaps of vehicles violating the rules. Red light jumping, mobile phone usage etc.
PS: Vehicle checking in Kerala has made lot of difference. People who vowed never to use a helmet now make a point to wear them. Drunken driving which was a fashion is now severely under control. But automating the whole process would be highly beneficial.
Old 23rd June 2014, 08:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The still camera (if it is digital, I guess it can also record video for a few mins) could be used to take snaps of vehicles violating the rules. Red light jumping, mobile phone usage etc.
If the real intention is to prevent bribes and misuse-of-authority by the police, we need to have dash mounted cams on police cars. These cams should be controlled/viewed from a central location, rather than letting the police switch off the camera (and also delete records) at free will. IMO the current practice of still cameras will only aid in increasing corruption (threatening for more bribes).
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
If the real intention is to prevent bribes and misuse-of-authority by the police, we need to have dash mounted cams on police cars.
The intention of police using the cameras is to help them . You may be aware that in Kerala there were lots of incidents in which people try increase the speed and get away from the police. This mainly done by two wheeler riders. In a few cases they would NOT be able to get away, and in the hurry the vehicles get into accidents, or the riders fall down etc. Then the media and the people would squarely blame the police for "harassing" the two wheeler riders. The police would find it tough to prove their innocence, because the general trend in Kerala is that drivers should be allowed to do any illegal activity, and the police should sit idle. So when police check points are video graphed, the police would be able to clearly prove that these kind of accidents are not because of any deliberate high-handedness from the police officers, but because the drivers themselves trying to escape and landing in trouble.

Quote:
These cams should be controlled/viewed from a central location, rather than letting the police switch off the camera (and also delete records) at free will. IMO the current practice of still cameras will only aid in increasing corruption (threatening for more bribes).
The cameras are fixed in the dashboard of the vehicle, and the police and harass a person by taking him to the back of the jeep. Dashboard cameras may work in European countries or US where, the number of police men enforcing a check point is also less. At the max they have two police men who are in car, one fellow goes out to check the documents and the other one stands on guard. The police men are also encouraged to do every action in front of the dashboard camera because of fire-arms issue. They try to make sure that the camera is recording the actions of the suspect also.

In India (or Kerala) perhaps we can do away with the practice of "compounding" the offence. Let the police record evidence and send it to the magistrate court. The accused can either go to the court and fight his case, or he can plead guilty and pay the fine using Money Order or cheque.
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a similar experience couple of months back. I was stopped near Salem by the cops (election duty checks) and the entire episode right from signalling me to stop, checking the entire car and letting me off was recorded. They behaved well and they even apologized for interrupting my drive. I feel this video recording was due to the elections but hope they will continue doing it.
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:25   #7
BHPian

I believe the videographed checking in Tamilnadu was taken up only during the election phase to seize unaccounted money. The video would be the evidence. This practice has stopped and they are back to their old ways now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks