Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2014, 17:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Dangers of flicking Cigarette Ash out of a vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My point is that we cannot take any concern and flag it as a big danger and burden our minds with it, without understanding the nature of the underlying risk. To my mind the risks highlighted by other folks (pan / spit / snot / food wrappers / soft drink / beer bottles) are much more realistic issues than this.

If you feel comfortable worrying about every risk no matter how improbable, and that works for you, then that's good for you! Not me.
No one is burdening their minds, its just a talk about a danger which otherwise people wouldn't be aware of. And agree with your priorities as well, cuz from what you've written it seems, you value your clothes, vehicle's shine more than your eyes and your bodily safety

Other than the beer bottle thing which is really something very very new which for me is 'unrealistic' cuz neither I have encountered it nor I've heard about it from someone. Also, never heard or read of a two-wheeler skidding cuz of a chocolate/wafer wrapper!!! Other things might just spoil your clothes, they won't be an eye or life threatening thing unless again, you feel that your shirt is more valuable than your eyes. To each his own

-Bhargav
Old 5th August 2014, 18:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
No one is burdening their minds, its just a talk about a danger which otherwise people wouldn't be aware of. And agree with your priorities as well, cuz from what you've written it seems, you value your clothes, vehicle's shine more than your eyes and your bodily safety

Other than the beer bottle thing which is really something very very new which for me is 'unrealistic' cuz neither I have encountered it nor I've heard about it from someone. Also, never heard or read of a two-wheeler skidding cuz of a chocolate/wafer wrapper!!! Other things might just spoil your clothes, they won't be an eye or life threatening thing unless again, you feel that your shirt is more valuable than your eyes. To each his own

-Bhargav
We can disagree on our experiences but to say that you value safety while others do not makes no sense whatsoever. Please don't put words in my mouth! Ever considered that the other person wears a full visor helmet so the flying ash possibility is even lower?

How about disagreeing without being disagreeable? You can keep watching out for flying ash - I will concentrate on the risks that seem important to me?
Old 5th August 2014, 18:25   #33
BHPian

This happened about 4 years back to my colleague when he was riding his bike. A car driver smoking in front (beside) of him flicked the ash and this ash which was still red hot went into his white part of the eyes (Sclera) which resulted in internal blood bleeding. He had to be operated to remove the blood and had to wear shades for 2 months. He had to undergo all this duress because one careless smoker. Thanks for creating this thread which can educate people about the ills involved.
Chalu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 23:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Flicking ash out of a car is unlikely to cause any hurt to any one on the road
Can be answered by this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
This happened about 4 years back to my colleague when he was riding his bike. A car driver smoking in front (beside) of him flicked the ash and this ash which was still red hot went into his white part of the eyes (Sclera) which resulted in internal blood bleeding. He had to be operated to remove the blood and had to wear shades for 2 months. He had to undergo all this duress because one careless smoker. Thanks for creating this thread which can educate people about the ills involved.
The issue is, ash is light, it can easily be carried by the winds associated with a moving vehicle.

Quote:
Ever considered that the other person wears a full visor helmet so the flying ash possibility is even lower?
How many people do you think really use the visor? A handful, at most. Roads are bad, no street lights, High Beam usage, all of this results in barely any use of the visor and I have personally seen this to understand how people are almost impervious to the use of high beam.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 19:28   #35
BHPian

In my 'umble opinion, if not a visor (they tend to scratch easily and produce refractions or haloes at night), everyone should wear some eye protection while riding a two-wheeler, unless it is a short trip to the shop at the end of the lane. Because even if nobody is flicking ash from a moving vehicle, there is still dust, soot from an old truck exhaust, insects and other pollutants. A friend of mine working in a steel plant, had to have iron dust pulled out of his eye with a special magnet, and always wore goggles after that !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 11:21   #36
BHPian

Do we really need a rule to tell us that its wrong to flick ash while riding/driving? It's pure common sense that it could hurt someone behind. But as the saying goes - "common sense is not so common" after all

I make it a point to let the person know that what they are doing is wrong! That way he/she will definitely think twice before doing it again.
Old 7th August 2014, 15:37   #37
BHPian

In my days as a smoker, I used to find it hard using the ash tray with my left hand (being right-handed). 8 years of practice also wasn't enough

I guess that's one reason why people end up flicking the ash on the road.
The other reason is that some people couldn't care less - that's a different topic though.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:33   #38
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this. Actually went through this thread couple of days ago. Though this should have come as simple common sense to me, now I have completely stopped smoking in the car. Its very hard to use the ash tray as samarth.bhatia says and I feel completely uncomfortable. No matter how hard you try, this can happen to anyone courtesy Murphy's law. The pictures say it all.

Now I simply take a stop and enjoy tea with the smoke. I still do smoke in complete traffic jams though. I don't think that should be harmful (to others :P) given a stop and go condition.
Old 25th August 2014, 18:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Embers from a cigarette are known to be at between 600°F to 950 °F (315°C to 510°C).
Source
Years ago, as a child , I had a severe burn on my fingers, when someone brushed his lit cigarette against my hand (accidentally).

Be careful of those inconsiderate drivers who careless flick ash from their cigarettes when driving. These do carry some distance.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 15:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

I just recollected a very old incident that happened to me while I was driving my Scooter. Anyone from Pune would know the 6 seaters (tum tum as they are widely called). I was trailing one of these at the speed of around 35-40 on Nagar Road.

Suddenly I saw two hands come out from the 6 seater window and clap (to those who may not know, this is how a lot of people prepare and consume tobacco). That's all that I could see. After that, I was blinded completely, at the speed of 35-40 in the middle of a busy highway with traffic following. I still thank my stars that I survived that and was able to somehow take my scooter to the left side using my judgement (cause I was still blind). When I was able to open my eyes again (must be atleast good 4-5 minutes), I realised I was still atleast 4 feet away from the side of the road.

God bless those others who had similar experiences. Hope this is not OT.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 28th August 2014 at 15:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks