Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 11:03   #16
BHPian

re: Are Traffic Police FB pages effective for reporting violations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Traffic police don't have any authority on street vendors. All they can say is whether traffic is hindered or not. If it is hindered, then pay a fine of Rs 100. Nothing more. That is probably the reason why you were requested to visit local police station.

The act I was talking about is THE STREET VENDORS (PROTECTION OF LIVELIHOOD AND REGULATION OF STREET VENDING) ACT, 2014. This is the latest one passed earlier this year.
My complaint talked about traffic being hindered as well. The traffic police should have visited the site and checked whether the traffic was being blocked or not. They could not have charged a fine of Rs. 100. As per law they would have to take the vendor to court (or ask him to present himself before court) and the court would decide whether to fine or not. This mere process of hauling the vendor to court repetitively would be onerous enough on him to force him remove his stall. Unfortunately the traffic police is more interested in taking instant bribes (or in this case ignoring it altogether).

The street vending act is full of contradictions and will take ages to be implemented. At one end it says 'vending spaces' will be notified and at the same time it also says 'no-vending spaces' will also be designated. This doesnot mean that if a space is designated as neither currently, you can encroach upon it and start obstructing traffic. Footpath vending is a recognised traffic offense if it obstructs traffic or leads to it.
Old 1st December 2014, 10:16   #17
BHPian

Re: Are Traffic Police FB pages effective for reporting violations?

Something to cheer about at last- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45329852.cms

The LG of Delhi has asked the traffic police to get the footpaths encroachment free. The traffic police has appealed to the public, through their Facebook page, to upload photographs of encroached sidewalks.
These photographs will be shared with the local police and civic agency concerned, and a drive conducted to clear these.

Two things emerge out of this in my opinion-
a) It is indeed the duty of traffic police to take note of such offenses. Anyone who needs to report such a nuisance needs to approach the traffic police only and not any civic agency.
b)It is the duty of the traffic police to co-ordinate with any civic agency or local police to get the problem sorted out.

Clarifying the matter further, a traffic official has said the following in this article - "We will remove obstructive parking on these stretches and stop vendors from encroaching into the right of way".
Old 1st December 2014, 12:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

I've been hearing this ad on the radio that for any illegal construction even police cannot take any action without the MCD approving that action.

I'm assuming encroachment would have similar process. As per the ad, for any illegal construction the report has to be submitted to MCD who will take care of it. And only MCD would decide whether police intervention is needed or not.

Police, without MCD's approval, simply cannot do anything even if they wanted to.

EDIT: The directive to traffic police of delhi is specifically for footpaths. However, I don't think they'd take any action if somebody sets up a food stall in a residential street where there is no footpath.

Last edited by fine69 : 1st December 2014 at 12:39.
Old 20th December 2014, 13:07   #19
BHPian

The Delhi High Court has finally confirmed what I had been advocating for so long- Footpaths are meant for pedestrians and the rights of pedestrians can't be compromised in the name of providing livelihood to hawkers. Please see the times of india article below to read about the HC observations. I guess it is time people realise that when they pay taxes towards building footpaths, they deserve encroachment free footpaths.

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/delhi...w/45567708.cms
interest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 21:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

As far as I can see, the Bangalore City Traffic acts only on the offenses uploaded as they get the moolah for free, but do not have any concern on other happenings. I had posted about illegal stop of Private and BMTC on their website twice till now and have also commented on others post but nothing has materialised yet. In fact one day I saw a traffic police busy trying to manage vehicles behind a stationary private bus instead of shooeing away the fellow. Guess someone has his "Hand ' in this. After this I have stopped to post on their website these days.
Old 20th December 2014, 21:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
The Delhi High Court has finally confirmed what I had been advocating for so long- Footpaths are meant for pedestrians and the rights of pedestrians can't be compromised in the name of providing livelihood to hawkers. Please see the times of india article below to read about the HC observations. I guess it is time people realise that when they pay taxes towards building footpaths, they deserve encroachment free footpaths.

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/delhi...w/45567708.cms

Err sir,

Footpaths have always been for that. Hub caps off to you sir for this effort!
Kindly do something about taking a dumb on the beaches too.
Taxes, I think everyone who can read knows how important the tax money is for the country.

Hubcaps salute to times of India too for finding out this very important information.

Sorry for OT. Are traffic FB pages effective for reporting.. yes absolutely.
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:09   #22
BHPian

Mod note: Post deleted. Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th December 2014 at 11:18.
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
Great to hear that you had a good experience with traffic police FB page. Would be even better if you can share the specific incident. Have responded to your other points in the 'quote' section of this post.

Dear friend, there are a lot of us in this very brotherhood who are interested in the safety of themselves and are also interested to follow traffic rules and interestingly follow every single rule and more. As much as we love our cars, how interesting or boring they might appear to others.
We all have done our bit, with our own interest. Interestingly,not all cops are bad. More interesting fact is, most of them are pretty decent in my part of the world. There was not one specific incident of interest. And, All of them have been taken care off.

P.S: I really don't know why you got offended! Keep up the good work.
Old 30th December 2014, 14:24   #24
BHPian

Mods, have taken note of your observations and am reposting properly using multi-quote functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Err sir,

Footpaths have always been for that. Hub caps off to you sir for this effort!
Am sure you would find your post unnecessary and immature if you go through the previous posts where people have talked about some laws related to the livelihood of footpath vendors. The news item from Times of India helps dispel such notions while establishing that the rights of pedestrians need to be guarded zealously.

Quote:
Kindly do something about taking a dumb on the beaches too.
I have done my bit about this issue by reporting it to traffic police, PMO and Delhi govt. Why dont you show some initiative and volunteer to solve this problem rather than sermonising here. And while you do that please also do something about pet dogs taking a dump on the footpaths as they are meant for pedestrians and need to be kept clean!

Quote:
Taxes, I think everyone who can read knows how important the tax money is for the country.
Yes and yet, several educated people use dubious means to evade capital gains tax on sale of property, refuse to take sales invoice to avoid sales tax, register their cars outside octroi zone (by furnishing wrong address) to evade octroi
Quote:
Hubcaps salute to times of India too for finding out this very important information.
What can I say, sometimes you need a newspaper and a court order to drill into you what should appear as common sense.

Last edited by interest : 30th December 2014 at 14:26.
Old 30th December 2014, 14:34   #25
BANNED

Not sure if they are effective, but couple of times I have reported something on the Bangalore TP page, there have been acknowledgements and then I see something being done about the issue, at least for a couple of days and then we are back to normal. (For those who know, I am referring to the KR Puram Hanging Bridge mess).

Most Viewed