Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 12:51   #1
BHPian

Pros & Cons: Traffic Challans based on pictures

DTP has started a mass challan frenzy based on images taken off their FB page and also clicked by Cops on the Road.
While the obvious violations like skipping the signal, no seat belt, etc are easy to validate vis pics, what about something like the Stop Line.

Consider the case:
10s of Green light left. You move the vehicle forward beyond the stop line, but someone on the LHS (could be an emergency vehicle like an Ambulance, or an idiot) decides to cut across and take the right turn.
You let them pass, and the signal turns red. Now, you're stopped beyond the Stop Line.

In such a case, an image would only depict one perspective: You're stopped beyond the Stop Line.

If you drive forward, you endanger yourself and other people driving through, and also violate the law directly.

And No, this had not happened to me, so this not a cry-post.

Until lane respectful driving becomes a thing here, doubt there would be a solution to this.
The only way through, once you start driving when the light turns green, stop once more at the stop line, look both ways and drive on if the time permits.

Thoughts? Experiences? Opinions?
negativeH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 13:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Pros & Cons: Traffic Challans based on pictures

I am too confused, sometimes the traffic is so much that you end up being in the middle of road even after the green light has passed.
Old 11th November 2014, 13:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
This happened to me in Bangalore. Cop clicked a pic. And I had to pay up the fine. Only because an auto rickshaw stopped in front of me, after I had crossed the stop line when signal was green, to pick up a passenger and he managed to scoot after the light turned red.
Old 11th November 2014, 13:54   #4
BHPian

Challan based on the pics is a better option when compared to Challan based on the car number which Traffic Cops pen down incase of violation of traffic law. Many cases have been reported where the car was not at the location where it was mentioned in the challan on that specific date-time.

On the other hand, there are situation where even pictures do not tell the complete story.

I have been into a situation some time back when I was following a bus at an intersection, traffic light was green and suddenly the driver stopped the bus in the mid of crossing and I too had to stop and by the time bus started again the traffic light was Red

If pic of such situation would have been taken by the cop then it would give an impression that I jumped red light where as actual scenario was totally different.
Old 11th November 2014, 14:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Crap happens. One should get over it.

I once moved into oncoming traffics way to get out of the way of a MTC bus that had to go straight (i was waiting to go right and had waited 5 min to let red light happen and then move from left lane to the right).

Got a challan from Chennai traffic police despite them witnessing me standing there patiently and only for 30 sec giving way to bus in the end.

After that, i will not be surprised by them awarding challans based on FB pics which miss the context completely.

But its okay - i'd rather have five false positives (violations that aren't real violations) rather than let them ignore the other ninety five true positives!!
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 16:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Happened to me twice in Bangalore.

1. Was taking a right U turn from Sony world signal on Koramangala inner ring road. I was not able to complete the turn, just as the signal turned red, so reversed and came back. Got challaned for parking on the white line.

2.On St. marks road, just near Cash pharma, wanted to take the left turn. There was a tempo traveller on my left, because of which I could'nt see the signal turn red. The Tempo broke the signal and went ahead, I stopped just on the Zebra lines. A cop came and clicked a snap and I got a challan a few days later.

Like phamilyman mentioned above, its better to have false positives than ignoring the larger offenders. Cant do much in these cases other than cursing and moving on.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 19:39   #7
BHPian

Yea, the 1% phenomenon is all right. There are gonna be people left hanging, often.

Couldn't they alter the rule somewhat, say thinking out loud, in case vehicle crosses stop line they can stop ahead of it, so as to not obstruct the Zebra Crossing. But I guess this would only result in more abuse.
Old 11th November 2014, 21:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have crossed the stop line on green, you are allowed to go through even though the light turns amber or red. Internationally accepted practice.

The only way you can validate that here is by having a dashcam record. Ask the traffic police personnel, and they have no clue regarding the rules. If they can get a still picture of your wheels on the wrong side of the stop line with the light being red, there comes your challan!
Old 21st November 2014, 20:48   #9
BHPian

Re: Pros & Cons: Traffic Challans based on pictures

This is what happens in Hyderabad
Attached Thumbnails
Pros & Cons: Traffic Challans based on pictures-10440902_818056674924073_3528112173776172179_n.jpg  

Old 5th April 2015, 21:07   #10
BHPian

How does cops trace out of state cars? Today I overshot the stop line on outer ring road. A cop in khaki uniform took a picture of our car. I drive a Bombay registered car in Delhi/NCR.
Old 7th September 2019, 19:12   #11
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Happened with my father recently. Thoughts do become reality sometimes.

My father received a challan recently after 3 months of the "said violation"(I delete my dashcam recordings after 2 weeks). He was behind a bus(his front view was 80% blocked) and both proceeded when the light was green. Halfway into the junction, vehicles coming from the previous light didn't stop(their light was red now). The bus stopped for them and my dad had to stop behind the bus. Now this was in the middle of a junction way ahead of the stop line. Our light turned red after 20 seconds. After this cleared, the bus and my dad proceeded as vehicles freed from the new green light were running behind our vehicles. End result was a challan after 3 months for violating the stop line.

What can we do to prevent such situation when we are at fault because of someone else?
Now, whenever I approach a junction, even if there are 5 seconds left for my green light, I slow down the vehicle and stop if I sense that people might jump the other light. This is risky as my vehicle may get hit from behind.

Is this the right way?

What annoyed me the most was that there was no photograph of the violation. The amount was very small hence my father made the payment.

On further inquiring with my colleagues, I came to know that many challans are now getting issued without the proofs (i.e. the photographs).

Is there any proper format for a challan? Is evidence necessary to accuse a driver of a violation? If not, then this is going to create a lot of problem and confusion in the current scenario.

If we have dashcam recordings, will courts accept these as an evidence?

One more case I could imagine is that if there is a traffic jam and vehicles are moving very slowly. What happens if you are stuck at a point where you may get fined(just after a traffic light). It is not the drivers fault as he/she couldn't move his/her vehicle due to the congestion. A police personnel standing there will know the situation but a person monitoring the camera may not.

Isn't video recording a better alternative for issuing challans as the viewer gets to know the actual situation the driver is in? Would like to know how others feel about this.
Old 25th February 2024, 15:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

A 2024 registered new car gets issued traffic challan dated 14.12.2020 from Patancheru (TS) traffic police.

The Tata Nexon in question (registration no. TS15 FP 4459) bought on 22nd December 2023 and registered on 6th January 2024 gets a traffic challan from the Telangana (Patancheru) traffic police dated 14th December 2020, amounting to Rs 200=00. The offence is for improper/irregular number plate.

Pros & Cons: Traffic Challans based on pictures-20240225_153026.jpg

Posting a tweet the X user Night Owl ( Mr Bodlapati Rao) regarding his friend's Nexon states :-

Quote:
Time-Traveling Traffic Ticket? Challan for a new Car Bought in 2024 Mystifies Owner with 2020 Violation
My friend purchased his Tata nexon car on December 22, 2023, and had it registered on January 6, 2024. Upon casually checking for any challans, he discovered one dated December 14, 2020, citing an issue with the number plate's irregularity. However, he did not own the car at that time. @HYDTP, please provide a solution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks