Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 12:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ahmedabad cops gift 1L petrol to people obeying traffic rules

The Ahmedabad Police have come up with a new initiative to promote road safety in the city. Vehicle users found following traffic rules on a regular basis are rewarded with one litre of petrol.

58 people in the Ramol area were rewarded with one litre of petrol each for following traffic rules. The police confirmed that they were carrying all the necessary documents such as Vehicle Registration Certificate and Driving Licence. They also check that those driving cars were wearing seatbelts and those riding two-wheelers were wearing helmets. This initiative has received good response from the people and the police plan to carry it out at least 3 times a week from 8 am to 8 pm.

Rakhial Police Station had launched a similar drive in the city gifting coupons of local eateries to those obeying traffic rules.

These are great initiatives to get the people to follow traffic rules. However, why is it that such measures need to be taken to get people to obey rules? Is it not everyone's responsibility?

Source: IBN
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 13:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Ahmedabad cops gift 1L petrol to people obeying traffic rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Ahmedabad Police have come up with a new initiative to promote road safety in the city. Vehicle users found following traffic rules on a regular basis are rewarded with one litre of petrol.
Yes. True. Currently traffic awareness program is going on by City Traffic Authorities. But its all useless & will be in vain. Here people have very low moral standards about traffic.

People here in Ahmedabad are too 'PRACTICAL' in traffic. Following are few conversations with traffic SMART people:

1. I was driving in two lane road. Due to oncoming overtaking from opposite direction, I had to take vehicle to left side. At the same moment - Biker overtook me from Left! Biker just got away by few centimeters.
Biker: Do you know driving?
Me: Sir, You should have avoided overtaking from left.
Biker: Look, It's the only way to overtake in two lane roads. So, That's perfectly OK!
Me: My mistake sir! I have to learn new rules!

2. It was a lazy Sunday afternoon. I was on my way to Gandhinagar. On seeing Red light at Jodhpur Cross Roads, I stopped. Actually signal turned red just a moment before, so I switched off car. Suddenly, A car stops after me & starts honking madly. I ignored him. After few moments, he gets down from car & approaches me!
ILuvToHonk: Why are you not moving your car?
Me: Sir, It's Red light.
ILuvToHonk: So what? No body follows signal here. Just move ahead & stop wasting my time!
Me: You can't force me to break red light!
ILuvToHonk: Oh My God! What kind of person you are!

3. An employee in my office never wears helmet.
Me: You should wear helmet.
FreeRider: It actually restricts my view to left-right. It means, chances of accident arises when you wear helmet!
Me:
zalaps is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 14:00   #3
BHPian

Wow, maybe I'll get 'lucky' and be the recipient of 1 Litre of free petrol. On a serious note however, the Traffic Police in Ahmedabad is doing a great job standing long hours in the sun all day just to ensure that crossroads are never jammed and the traffic is never at a standstill. However knowing the Gujarat 'junta' as I do, they'll take the 1 litre of Petrol and go back to their old ways. Its a sad state of affairs but true.
rahul4321 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 15:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

How long will the cops give 1L free petrol? This isn't a sustainable way to enforcing traffic rules. Also, the article says people driving with all documents, seat belts or helmets were given the incentive. Is that all there is to traffic rules? I think if they want to incentivise driver's then they should do it for people who give way to an ambulance or fire engine, stop behind stop line at a red light, obey traffic lights, use a round about the correct way, merge into and out of lanes correctly, follow lane discipline, give pedestrians right of way at zebra crossings, take turns properly & so on. The wearing of seat belts & helmets is a known law and at least with seat belts compliance is pretty good so no point giving incentives for these things.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Excellent! When you can't get people to follow rules and law enforcement is a joke, you come with a better joke by trying to bribe people into following rules.

I don't know about others but this scheme is sad to say the least. What is next, 2L petrol to the traffic cop enforcing laws properly, 3L petrol to the senior cop who ensures his team is performing their duties diligently......10000000xL petrol for Mr. PM for ensuring that everybody is doing their job exactly as they are supposed to be doing in our country, come on!!!!
Old 19th November 2014, 00:12   #6
BHPian

I know as humans we respond to incentives, but this one just doesn't feel right. Makes for a curious commentary on us and our society if we need a "bribe" to follow the law.
Karthik_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 08:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Although an unique way to make people follow traffic rules, but this will fizzle out faster than a soda once the incentive scheme is scrapped. Instead of short term gains, traffic department must come up with a long term vision. Unless strict disciplinary action is enforced and people are made aware of it, traffic rules will be broken blatantly.

There was a similar naming shaming exercise done in Mumbai too when traffic offenders were offered sweets and flowers but instead of discouraging them, it encouraged them.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 09:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

These are great initiatives to get the people to follow traffic rules. However, why is it that such measures need to be taken to get people to obey rules? Is it not everyone's responsibility?

Source: IBN
I understand your pov and such offers tantamount to bribing for morality which is itself a paradox !
Having said that, we might like to look at the other side of the coin . In our country, the people display very little civic sense and road sense and citizens following rules are in absolute minority. But making the majority sensible to rules now is difficult , if not impossible and most of them try to argue that it is not just me who breaks the rules. Thus obeying traffic rules in such a kind of environment is more than just ' obeying ' and hence it looks to provide some meaning when the law abiders are provided some incentives so that others too may follow the suit to gain them and in the process , could really understand how safe and peaceful they might feel when the obey rules and hence some change might be possible.
And such offers are not unique since we see these types with IT dept. / local municipalities !!
And this would only be fruitful when it is implemented properly and for some substantial time allowing the citizens to know such a law exists !!
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks