Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 22:13   #31

Re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Genuine parts should be available off the shelf just fine.

You could take your pick of the garages mentioned here based on reviews. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai/

Just check - the labor charges especially might be far less with a FNG.
Thanks a lot for sharing that thread. Will definitely check out Motoshines Andheri.
Old 6th January 2015, 22:13   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Genuine parts should be available off the shelf just fine.

Just check - the labor charges especially might be far less with a FNG.
All the parts required to get that Swift will be available readily at the MGP http://www.mgp.co.indealer in Mumbai. No doubt there but the thing is he'll need to get a paint booth who can do the matching in the right way.

The parts required can be filled in the order form and the location you reside. The MGP dealer nearest to your location entered shall contact you along with the prices for each part too.

Instead of going through all this it is best to leave it to MASS to things right and correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd BHP View Post
Dear Hserus thanks for the advice. However the Rear Fibre Bumper is beyond repair and has to be replaced. So the choice of showroom over local garage. Also the zero dep insurance covers the damage but yes the premium will hike!!!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 22:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Restores my faith in the Mumbai Police.

Sid, get a better phone with a better cam. A better picture could have helped nab the runaway drivers.
Old 6th January 2015, 22:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
All the parts required to get that Swift will be available readily at the MGP [b]
=====
Instead of going through all this it is best to leave it to MASS to things right and correctly.
Sourcing parts from MGP and using local help to get work done is a cost effective idea. But then again ;one of my friend's Wine coloured Ritz took a hit few months back. He did the paint job from a local Garage who was purportedly good at his work. When the work was done it seemed like a heck of a perfect job. But just after a few weeks we began noticing stark colour contrasts during daytime. Hence the skepticism associated with getting paint job done outside the showroom. As they have the very same paint primarily used for our cars. The difference in shade is next to nothing. However will still contact MGP and check out Motoshines Andheri. And will resort to the most feasible option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Restores my faith in the Mumbai Police.

Sid, get a better phone with a better cam. A better picture could have helped nab the runaway drivers.
Haha this was from a most recently bought 13 mp cam phone. The photo clicking response was so frantic. That I barely allowed the camera to focus. And most of these are screenshots from a video I shot. And yes faith indeed restored!!!

Last edited by Eddy : 6th January 2015 at 23:17. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.
Sidd BHP is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th January 2015, 22:38   #35
BANNED

Quote:
The difference in shade is next to nothing. However will still contact MGP and check out Motoshines Andheri. And will resort to the most feasible option.
I can understand what you are going through as I have myself been in a pile-up and also a nick from an animal on the ORR. Link below to the incident on my Swift thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3392941

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3532657

Get it done at MASS for a reliable repair job and peace of mind.

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th January 2015 at 22:40.
Old 6th January 2015, 22:50   #36

Quote:
I can understand what you are going through as I have myself been in a pile-up and also a nick from an animal on the ORR. Link below to the incident on my Swift thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3392941

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3532657

Get it done at MASS for a reliable repair job and peace of mind.
I empathise with you Anurag. Same story indeed. Good work with getting reimbursed 9K and being required to spend only 6k of it. And yes as the amount is high I ll be opting to use insurance money which I have taken from the showroom itself. So yes MASS is the first preference.

Referring to your second link ;Canada has overbridges for animals on highways cutting through forest areas. Our infrastructure doesn't even provide for over bridges for people. A Sad state. So uninterrupted and unhindered highway drive is a far far dream to realize.....
Old 6th January 2015, 23:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
one of my friend's Wine coloured Ritz took a hit few months back. He did the paint job from a local Garage who was purportedly good at his work. When the work was done it seemed like a heck of a perfect job. But just after a few weeks we began noticing stark colour contrasts during daytime
This, my friend, is why I have a matt white car - regardless of whether it is an indica or a honda amaze, it is entirely the same color, so extremely simple to do repainting jobs anywhere at all.

And my local garage guy Speed Motors is

[1] a genius (and very popular among chennai tbhp folks) and
[2] charges about half of what the dealer's service center would cost me.

Win win situation, I call it.
Old 7th January 2015, 12:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
It is a pile that happened due to the Octavia guy who used his brain to save that political hoarding from getting run over by his car! To save a silly sheet of printed material that character has damaged many other cars.
I disagree, this pile up happened because the fortuner and the auto did not maintain the proper braking distance. What if the board had nails on it? This would have led to a blowout and more severe damages. In other countries, the last car in the pile up is held responsible for the damages of everybody.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:29   #39
BHPian

Sid thanks a lot for sharing the incident and showing the cooperative face of the traffic and local police. I wish many more such positive stories come out.

Sorry for the mess you had to encounter because of others mistake.

I once had a similar experience when while standing at a red light a rickshaw rammed from behind. He apologized and i did not pursue further - damage was only the tail light glass.
Old 8th January 2015, 12:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great Policemen!

And moreover good braking by you for saving the front end at least else the repair would have inflated further. ABS kicking in. Eh?!

As I can assess the damages and do check the below:

1) Rear bumper: ₹ 2300 (for a new one)
2) Painting the rear bumper: ₹ 2000-2500
3) Clips for the rear bumper: ₹ 100-200
4) Check the wheel well (Spare wheel)
5) Check the alloy wheel and if it is OK then get it balanced;
6) Boot door can be repaired by denting.

All the best and do feel sorry for you as you'll be needing to shell it from your pocket. You should have noted down the Octavia's number and also the Autorickshaw guy's number to at least get some compensation. Though they'll not respond.
@Anurag
Had an unfortunate incident in office today morning when our CFO's car instead of reversing dashed into my Wagon Rs left door.

The damages mentioned by you would be higher if you do the ASC way:

1) Panel painting : Rs. 3256(exact quote)
2) Bumper: About 7K

Taxes and Labour additional.
Old 8th January 2015, 12:20   #41
BHPian

Keeps reminding me of the Ceat tyres ad "the roads are full of ......"

You were made to suffer for others fault. Sorry your new year party was trashed.

But a few positives did come out of it.

First, the fact that people no longer need to fear the police, and should approach them in case of trouble. In fact, the only ones who should fear the police are the miscreants. The police also think on the same lines. Had you try to run away they might have treated you differently.

Second, there were stories going around with regards to the braking ability of the new Swift. Out of your experience it can be said that they are not that bad, so no prospective buyers should shirk away from it on this account.

Thank God you were not harmed in any way.

Be safe and enjoy the drive.
Kn1ght1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 10:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
VEHICLES IN THE ORDER OF PILE UP:
Special Mention: PC Maruti Patil Mumbai Police ; thanks for your support

Shared by A Proud BHPian
First thing first. I hope none of you had any physical injury and all of you involved are fine.

Now coming to this episode, few things come to think for.
1. Kudos to Mumbai police and thank you too for sharing this positive experience. This will definitely bump-up our confidence in system.
2. Its great that you were able to brake well and saved your front. This is very important as front crash could be very costly, not only monitory but physically too. And car even after repair may keep giving problems if damage is high.
3. Why does few car owners ran away? How can they leave car on road and disappear
4. Rick guy, Wow. And he agreed to come to police station. Oops, I end-up using my both smileys here.
5. It wasnt expected from a fortuner to hit. Somehow I started getting a feel that driver would not have license. With him running away, someone with license later appear and collect car to avoid major hassle. In my opinion its not easy to bang Fortuner.

Just to highlight, I seriously dont like someone to eat-up my braking distance and safe margins I keep on road. I have seen many time if I drive keeping safe distance, someone came rushing, overtake and reduce my braking distance. Again first thing after overtake what they do is to it brake. Any thought how to handle this situation on road.

Regards
SE
Old 9th January 2015, 10:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Just to highlight, I seriously dont like someone to eat-up my braking distance and safe margins I keep on road. I have seen many time if I drive keeping safe distance, someone came rushing, overtake and reduce my braking distance. Again first thing after overtake what they do is to it brake. Any thought how to handle this situation on road.
Short of rolling down your window and yelling at them, or just letting them pass ahead, I don't see any other alternatives.
Old 9th January 2015, 20:51   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
First thing first. I hope none of you had any physical injury and all of you involved are fine.

Now coming to this episode, few things come to think for.
1. Kudos to Mumbai police and thank you too for sharing this positive experience. This will definitely bump-up our confidence in system.
2. Its great that you were able to brake well and saved your front. This is very important as front crash could be very costly, not only monitory but physically too. And car even after repair may keep giving problems if damage is high.
3. Why does few car owners ran away? How can they leave car on road and disappear
4. Rick guy, Wow. And he agreed to come to police station. Oops, I end-up using my both smileys here.
5. It wasnt expected from a fortuner to hit. Somehow I started getting a feel that driver would not have license. With him running away, someone with license later appear and collect car to avoid major hassle. In my opinion its not easy to bang Fortuner.

Regards
SE
Dear speededge, nobody likes a roadshark eating up your room ahead. But lets face it every metropolis is losing its road sense. every ones in a hurry. And other than maintaining a safe distance like I did from the indica ahead there is nothing we can do about it.

Quote:
Short of rolling down your window and yelling at them, or just letting them pass ahead, I don't see any other alternatives.
Hserus, me neither!!! Practicality lies in assessing the damage and turning our backs to the miscreant if its minimal. No point pursuing it further and losing our peace of mind. Also not to forget the traffic we end up disrupting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kn1ght1941 View Post
Keeps reminding me of the Ceat tyres ad "the roads are full of ......"

You were made to suffer for others fault. Sorry your new year party was trashed.

But a few positives did come out of it.

First, the fact that people no longer need to fear the police, and should approach them in case of trouble. In fact, the only ones who should fear the police are the miscreants. The police also think on the same lines. Had you try to run away they might have treated you differently.

Second, there were stories going around with regards to the braking ability of the new Swift. Out of your experience it can be said that they are not that bad, so no prospective buyers should shirk away from it on this account.

Thank God you were not harmed in any way.

Be safe and enjoy the drive.
From my experience after this incident I can definitely vouch for the zxi's brake assist system. It does come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Sid thanks a lot for sharing the incident and showing the cooperative face of the traffic and local police. I wish many more such positive stories come out.

Sorry for the mess you had to encounter because of others mistake.

I once had a similar experience when while standing at a red light a rickshaw rammed from behind. He apologized and i did not pursue further - damage was only the tail light glass.
Autobahnjpr, you chose wisely!!!
Old 10th January 2015, 13:34   #45
BHPian

bumper hugging is frowned on in the west and motorists put you in your place very quickly. On one occasion my friend pulled off the highway let the offending car go past and found a new slot in the traffic (at considerable cost of fuel and time since we were rushing back to London to catch a flight) but he was adamant that he could not risk bumper hugger behind him.

In India bumper hugging is the rule rather than an exception. Particularly if you have a good car and efficient braking systems you tend to take only your ability in to question and not factor in the proximity, response time and braking efficiency of the guy behind. Whiplash injury is very difficult to treat and can immobilise if severe.

Is there a law or provision which mandates minimum distance to be maintained between vehicles at different speeds in the new "Road Transport and Safety bill 2014"?

is there a forum for taking up such issues? which one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks