Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 22:56   #16
BHPian

I agree about not having to drive a new car and it breaking your heart.

I have been travelling in Pune and Mumbai for over 6 years now, and have had adequate opportunity to compare both sets of roads.

This year I know it is the worst.

On one occasion when I reached home after a 'rough' day on the roads, I was shocked to see that my front right wheel had a serious dent in the wheel rim. The wheel cap being of resin had a deep 'V' shape with the depth being about 2 inches or so. The wheel rim, being made of solid metal was also in the same shape.

Take a deep breath, close your eyes and just imagine for a moment. The solid metal wheel rim also being dented in a sharp 'V' with the depth of the V being about 2 inches.

One would normally think that I must have a hit a mega pothole head-on at a good speed for such a deep gash to have formed. I was also of the same opinion while I was stratching my head and wondering which one of those many it could have been. I am sure that I did not hit any ONE pothole with such a speed as to have caused this sharp a dent.

In fact it could have been any of the hundreds that I had to negotiate on that particular day.

I felt so strongly about it, that I lost no further time in taking drastic action.

I came here and posted :-)

Venkat
Old 22nd August 2006, 00:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

I found this mid-day article really funny! However, the issue raised is really serious. Doesn't anyone in the BMC, MMRDC, PWD etc have any shame? Any sane and decent organization in charge of the roads mentioned in this article would either resign or see to it that the roads never again develop pot holes. Imagine this article being read by millions of people living in western countries.

Mid-day: Cold Coffee.
Old 22nd August 2006, 01:14   #18
BHPian

hey guess what guys....the tmc has finally undertaken mending the roads of GHODBUNDER road in thane.....so thankful...i mean those were not roads they were esselworld and waterkingdom combined together..lets see how they still are intact as more rain is to be showered on us...actually i never actually felt my shocks work this time!!!
Old 22nd August 2006, 08:14   #19
BHPian

Hey...thanks for posting the Mid day article. Really hit the sweet spot.

In communist Russia during its peak there was a lot of humor going around. It is said by psychiatrists that such humor serves to break the otherwise bleak frame of mind and provide some relief.

The SMS in Pune and the Mid-day article in Mumbai are instances of such humor.

Venkat
Old 24th August 2006, 10:39   #20
BHPian

Yesterday morning as I was driving down to my office, there was an interview on Radio Mirchi with one Datar of ex- L & T who was promoting various alternatives to keep the roads in better shape.

Today morning there was one lady who is supposed to be the Mayor. Sorry Puneites, I do not keep up with local politics too much and hence do not remember the name too well.

It seems that before the monsoons she had promised that she would resign if the roads were bad this year too. Typically, on the air she was squirming in the seat and offering reasons as to why she was not to be blamed and hence her resignation was not called for.

Clearly our politicians are like our roads.

Full of holes calling for an ability to side swerve and not to be trusted at all.

Venkat
Old 24th August 2006, 11:59   #21
BHPian

Yes,Venkat,She was giving an interview in a typical Ghaati style....today on Pune Radio mirchi..I drive daily from Kothrud to Hinjewadi and the Highway condition is Pathetic...I have seen few cars loose control on few of the Potholes....some patches are so worst that we have to literally stop the car and drive at 5-10 KMPH....I have almost memorized all the Potholes...but sometimes I have a bad day due to a new Pothole emerging from nowhere ...
Times of India is doing a good job by highlighting these on a daily basis.....
Old 25th August 2006, 00:11   #22
BHPian

Kothrud to Hinjewadi...

Which route do you take?

Senapati Bapat road...I guess. And then is it Baner or via Aundh for you?

Even Senapati Bapat road has gone so bad now. What was once a quiet back road, has become a concrete jungle. I remember visiting a friend in Shivaji Nagar there and it used to be so quiet.

Venkat
Old 1st September 2006, 23:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well, no resignation from the mayor as she had promised. A couple of weeks ago, I was chatting with ram about the state of Pune's roads, and he said that if there are any more potholes on Baner Road, they will all merge into each other and give a smooth road again.
Well, it seems somebody from the PMC was eavesdropping
Because, on Rajaram Bridge,( which connects Sinhagad Road to Karve Nagar), they did just that. The PMC just scraped away the remaining portion of tar on the bridge, revealing the concrete underneath, and now its a surprisingly good road.

Last edited by sajo : 1st September 2006 at 23:11.
Old 1st September 2006, 23:54   #24
BHPian

guys, if anyone calls roads in Pune city bad , please go to the old Pune Mumbai road --- especially the 'Rangehills to Khadki' section. I had the pleasure of driving there last night.
There are 3 to 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep craters ( potholes is a very wrong word ) thru which you got to drive.

As far as PMC / Mayor is concerned, i wont even try to describe their b***s*** ways to justify themselves and bad mouthing the traffic and road contractors.
Oh and btw, 50% of roads in Pune, are taken up by the contractors who are primarily relatives or aquaintances of the mayor ( or the great MP from Pune ).
Old 2nd September 2006, 11:56   #25
Team-BHP Support

Roads in Pune? Where? Next time you see them please send me a few pics to put into my collectibles.
Old 2nd September 2006, 12:43   #26
BHPian

Fellow BHP-ians have already highlighted the worst of Pune roads, but now, I'd like to highlight the best of Pune...

There's only one road in Pune which stands strong!

The only one road which has seen 10-12 monsoons, has never been re-layerd, has seen truck traffic for construction purposes... and is still as good as new

Yes people, I'm talking about Koregaon Park, Lane - 1, the one built by the osho ashram, the one road which has never been dug up in the past 10 - 12 yrs, since a provision for cableing was made, the one road which had seen tha maximum monsoons in Pune and hasnt given birth to even one piece of gravel, just because its levelled properly and has a drainage system...

But here's the sad part, the road isnt a joy to drive on any more..

There's a provision for 6 rickshaws to park on the road, near the Budhrani Hospital, but you see 10 rickshaws parked there, giving no place for two cars to travel together, after the ashram, you'll find a lineup of another 10 rickshaws which cater to the Firangs, again leaving no place for traffic to pass!!!

Last edited by shrivz : 2nd September 2006 at 12:45.
Old 4th September 2006, 15:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

The only road that was in good shape was JM road for last 35 years and they managed to mess it up as well by relaying it few months back.

Did you guys trust that Mayor would really resign? Those who did, are living in fool's paradise.
Old 4th September 2006, 16:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

The pune road are really Bad & all those companining about mumbai roads should come here & see what bad roads mean.

@NC: The road is a lot better than our regular road in Pune :(

Btw the best roads in pune so far have been: MG Road, FC, JM(almost), & teh best to drive is the Le meridian patch there are afew concrete ones too but the ratio is way less that the bad ones
Old 4th September 2006, 18:27   #29
BHPian

@ techno: dont even think of driving fast when the le meridian road is wet... MAJOR aquaplanning takes place.. so if u brake hard... ur straight into the wall or divider... however good ur tires may be, u cant brake hard on the le meridian road especially outside SSPMS...
Old 5th September 2006, 10:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Yeah thats true but otherwise its an amazing road ask rash what he did on that road on the Busa, the R1 & the Suzuki 600

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks