Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2019, 21:09   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: How much money does an Uber / Ola driver make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
One reason I could think of is the adoption of CNG in Bangalore.
All cabs in Bangalore run on diesel. Autorickshaws run on LPG.

Quote:
We have 3 cars in Uber (close family included), and we are willing to pay drivers top money for honest work. But sadly, these drivers are the worst people I've encountered. This might sound like a rant, but to be honest, after about 3 years, I now understand why Uber is investing into autonomous tech. We might have gone though 30 drivers easily amongst the 3 of us.
Why such attrition? They quit driving and do what? They go elsewhere for a higher pay?
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 21:15   #137
Senior - BHPian

Auto rickshaws run on CNG too in Bangalore, I have shared this on a new thread. The drivers known to me make around 30-35K per month, this is not their main source of income.

Last edited by deehunk : 8th May 2019 at 21:17.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 21:54   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
All cabs in Bangalore run on diesel.
I meant to say a lack of CNG option.

Quote:
Why such attrition? They quit driving and do what? They go elsewhere for a higher pay?
One of my drivers (good ones) went to buy his own car. Still in touch with him. Other guys just leave randomly. One dude left on 8th while his salary was due on 10th! These chaps are not the smartest and think they can pull a fast one on us. One guy used to claim 1000 rs cng per day, while the car only did 200-225 km max per day. When confronted with data, he just went AWOL. They also lack basic courtesy. I’m not saying don’t leave the job, just give me a heads up so I can make alternate arrangements.

I’ve also not understood why these guys leave. Some of them are well settled and have liabilities like kids, home loan EMI, etc. Regarding higher pay, I’m doubtful anyone pays more than what they were currently making.

Last edited by blackwasp : 8th May 2019 at 21:56.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 22:03   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
10 hrs daily duty time (including breaks, fuel up times etc.) for 6 days a week. Some also run in 2 shifts and drivers are making anywhere from 5-8k every week.
How is it humanly possible for someone to work 2 shifts of 10 hours each for 6 days? Am I reading this right? 5k per week puts this person in the Rs20k to Rs30k mark. IMO, it is not a whole lot of money for working that kind of hours and trying to make a living in our cities.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 22:23   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
How is it humanly possible for someone to work 2 shifts of 10 hours each for 6 days?
Sorry, I need to clarify. Two drivers per car - not the same guy driving 20 hrs a day. And yes, you might even say that 10hrs driving per day will take a toll and I will agree on this. But the driving time is barely 6-7 hrs. In comparison I have a 2-3 hr drive daily along with 9 hrs in the office.

Quote:
Am I reading this right? 5k per week puts this person in the Rs20k to Rs30k mark. IMO, it is not a whole lot of money for working that kind of hours and trying to make a living in our cities.
I know people living on just 8-10k per month here. So 20-30k is definitely much more than the median level income in the city.

Yes, it is hard work. I don't deny that, after all its their efforts that go into this. The more they work, the more they make. I insist on a one day a week holiday, but some other drivers I know take an off every 2 weeks, that too when the car goes to servicing. It's not a compulsion to drive an Uber cab, people do it for the relatively easy money being offered. After all, where else do you get to sit in an AC environment, require basic educational qualifications and age is not a bar (in terms of promotions, entry barriers etc.) ?
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 22:29   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
5k per week puts this person in the Rs20k to Rs30k mark. IMO, it is not a whole lot of money for working that kind of hours and trying to make a living in our cities.
Just to put things into perspective: majority of the engineering grads in the country earn about 20-25k/month fresh out of college. Reasonably sure Arts/B.Com. aren't drastically different. Better standard of living and working, yes. But that's their salary.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 23:57   #142
BHPian

Yesterday my Ola outstation driver mentioned that he rakes in 120k+ monthly. After expenses, he nets 35-40k monthly. I figure that's damn good for a person who was earlier a driver and would get 18-20k salary.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 14:06   #143
BHPian

How much money does an Uber / Ola driver make?

Attachment 1874691

In today's TOI as Uber nears IPO

PS: no idea what's happening but I tried uploading the pic using the phone app.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 9th May 2019 at 14:12.
Old 9th May 2019, 14:43   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
After expenses, he nets 35-40k monthly. I figure that's damn good for a person who was earlier a driver and would get 18-20k salary.
Agreed but that comes at a huge cost. Have had these conversations with a lot of drivers. One thing I understood is, those who drive their own cars, are the ones who will provide better service. Hired drivers dont give a damn.
Secondly, 35-40k sounds good for now, but this usually is without taking holidays. Since the EMI keeps getting deducted, he just cannot afford to take a day off. Heck, he cant even afford to fall ill. Most of the drivers bring their own home cooked lunch just so that they dont risk falling ill and losing on 1-1.5k per day.

All I can say is, they cant take a peaceful day off, especially when they know its costing them 1.5k each.
Old 9th May 2019, 15:19   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Yesterday my Ola outstation driver mentioned that he rakes in 120k+ monthly. After expenses, he nets 35-40k monthly. I figure that's damn good for a person who was earlier a driver and would get 18-20k salary.
As a driver, he would do same number of hours? I doubt - most of the drivers I talk to, talk about how low the commissions are now compared to earlier. Most of them have to do 12 hour shift to make reasonable money. I think its no more lucrative for the drivers. I have also noticed the rates have gone high compared to initial times.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 19:42   #146
BHPian

I had conversations with at-least 5 Uber, OLA drivers on how much money they make at the end of the day. This is what couple of them told me:

One Uber cab driver told that after the prime time (offices/school pickup/dropping period) is done, the demand comes down. There would be times where he would be idle without any request especially between 11 to 3 or 4 PM. This is also due to huge number of cabs available these days. He is able to make 1000 to 1500 after the daily expenses. His opinion was that its not at all that viable to make profitable money on cabs these days when compared with scenario 2 or 3 years ago with the fuel costs, EMI, car maintenance and ever increasing traffic conditions. He is able to meet all these expenses and saving part is very less.

I took OLA auto once. The driver shifted to auto because he is able to save more when compared with running a OLA cab. He was making 1000 to 1500 on OLA cab at the end after expenses after working for day long (about 8 to 10 hours) where as driving an auto (combination of OLA + without OLA) for about 5 to 6 hours is giving him 1000 - 1500 on an average after expenses.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 11:58   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
. His opinion was that its not at all that viable to make profitable money on cabs these days when compared with scenario 2 or 3 years ago with the fuel costs, EMI, car maintenance and ever increasing traffic conditions. He is able to meet all these expenses and saving part is very less.

I took OLA auto once. The driver shifted to auto because he is able to save more when compared with running a OLA cab. He was making 1000 to 1500 on OLA cab at the end after expenses after working for day long (about 8 to 10 hours) where as driving an auto (combination of OLA + without OLA) for about 5 to 6 hours is giving him 1000 - 1500 on an average after expenses.

I feel there are two different yet similar factors at play here.
  • The incentives that the companies provided initially and even up to about 2-3 years ago in an attempt to boost their driver base have now dried up or are not as competitive as before. Thus a cab driver sees less of a profit than before.
  • The companies have now started to focus on the Auto drivers. They are paying handsome incentives which they would earlier pay a cab driver.

Given the lower establishment cost of autos over cars and the additional incentives handed out to autos, I think those driving the auto are making more money. Unfortunately this too will dry out soon (if not starting to dry out already).

It's a bit like timing the markets, those who joined Ola/Uber at their peak made a whole lot and the ones that are joining in now aren't making as much.
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 12:38   #148
BHPian

With my casual conversation with Uber drivers in Pune. I have figured out key points for them.

1. The packages are given as per number of rides. They differ on Weekdays(Mon to Thu) and weekends(Fri to Sun)

2. They make good money on weekends and peak hours. Undoubtedly most of them worked 12hrs on weekends and earned more than weekdays.

3. Every driver made 25K/mon at the least. Some are happy(more pay than being driver) and some sad(more earnings earlier)
Most of the hardworking drivers who take very less off in a month and work for 9hours+ on weekdays made 35K

IMHO, a good chauffeur (privately employed) may earn less but have better life(less hours on road and stress)
Uber/Ola guys work really hard. Their pay is more or less on par with privately employed as far as work hours go.

Last edited by procrastinator : 26th May 2019 at 12:40.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:32   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I feel there are two different yet similar factors at play here.
  • The incentives that the companies provided initially and even up to about 2-3 years ago in an attempt to boost their driver base have now dried up or are not as competitive as before. Thus a cab driver sees less of a profit than before.
  • The companies have now started to focus on the Auto drivers. They are paying handsome incentives which they would earlier pay a cab driver.
Yes Sir. Its true that initial incentives are now dried up. Hence less profitable money to the cab driver.

And on the OLA auto part, he told me that he uses his auto for OLA for very less duration of the day and has been able to make money without switching on OLA for most the day he drives. He is getting rides normally without OLA itself frequently.

Most Viewed