Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2006, 10:20   #1
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Downloaded some TopGear videos n noticed Clarkson doing something awesome with these high torque cars. He puts them in 5th gear(or 6th) and then starts the car from stanstill to whatever he can achieve on their runway. Thought of doing the same with my Pulsar 150 V2. So while returing home from office i tried it out at one signal, and to my surprise it worked!! From 0 to top speed in '1' gear!
Now i know its not advisable to ride like this. but i have a doubt. Can this be done on any bike and car? cause i know my bike can be ridden at 25kmph in 5th gear, but not every bike can do this. I know ZMA for sure cannot, it has to be ridden in 3rd gear. But then it has loads of torque(compared to my bike).
I have no clue bout cars.. Still to get my hands on one. Which indian car can do this? any thoughts??

regards,
Kapil
Old 30th August 2006, 18:11   #2
BHPian

You are doing this by using your clutch right ... your clutch plates will reduce in life because of the half clutching and and de-clutching to be used to move the vehicle forward by keeping the revs high.

This is surely possible, but gears are meant to be used for this reason, use 1st to start with and the 5th as overdrive !!!

Happy riding!
Old 30th August 2006, 18:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

When u do this, u're royally r@ping ur clutch since ur riding it.
Its a good thing that JC didnt inspire u to do the same on our regular cars.
Old 30th August 2006, 20:16   #4
BHPian

!!! why did that poor chap put some teeth on a wheel and call it gears once upon a time ??

use all the gears mate. to do what u said that guy on the TV did, there is lot of setup changes to be done, still at the cost of the clutch.
Old 30th August 2006, 22:38   #5
BHPian

Yup. I know its bad for the clutch. Thats y i didnt try it more than twice.
But I say whats so great in doing it? If i can do it on a puny 150 CC bike, and any Indian car can do it, Why does he need a DB9 and what is that hes tryin to prove?
Or is it that in those cars he just drops the clutch like normal but still manages to pull it off? If thats the case, then Hats off to him!

I have one more doubt, can u do clutch-less gear shifts in cars? The same way it can be done in bikes?? Specially helpful in drags.

Thanks
Kapil
Old 31st August 2006, 12:04   #6
BHPian

these people get paid 2 rip open the cars at their wish to give them a positive verdict. for some1 whose car is sponsored by himself, i guess stick to the normal. use appropriate gears for appropriate speeds.

Most Viewed