Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2006, 17:52   #1
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Just witnessed a OCTY crashin into a Biker.

Hey guys

A few minutes back i was just dropping my gf to college and we both were driving back in our respective cars. We were travelling on the service lane on the side of the Greater Noida Expressway, this road is usually jammed up with student cars and also ppl from the nearby HCL pero office. Just then i heard a loud THUMP then i saw a SILVER OCTAVIA smoking and going left left left on the expressway. Just as that happenned everyone on the service lane started running towards the expressway which is hardly 30 mtrs across the greenbelt. I got off my car to see what had happenned and i saw the octy come to a halt on the side of the expressway around 100mts from me and there was a lot of smoke coming from the hood. Two children in school uniform quickly got out of the car and jumped across towards the service lane we were on. I thought it must another incident of cars catching fire, now thats its so common in delhi. So i got back in my car and so did everyone else and the traffic on the service lane started moving ... After moving on for bout 100 odd mtrs the octy was on my right on the expressway with a huge crowd gathering... so me and my gurl stopped our cars on the side and went to take a look, to our suprise the scene was totally different. The octavia was apparently racing with another car which got away... and sadly the octavia had crashed into a biker who was probably riding safely on the left side of the road. the Impact was so bad that the bike had flown around 300mts and was lying in the middle of the road with the frame of the bike bent around the fuel tank. My gf noticed that the airbags were deployed on the octy, the front end of the octy was damaged and the smoke was from the radiator. Occupants of car looked ok ... they were terrified the chic was in tears probably scared and both of them were busy calling up their folks or whoever... i couldn't see the biker anywhere, and i hope he survived this crash ... may god be with him.

Anyone else travelling on the greater noida expressway today at 5:00pm witnessed this accident could please come forward and post here.
Old 5th September 2006, 17:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Where did the schoolkids go, apart from the poor biker it must have been traumatic for the kids...dangerous for them to jump out & run into traffic as well
Old 5th September 2006, 17:56   #3
BANNED

Yikes.. thats a horrible thing to have witnessed.. like you said.. hope the biker's ok..
Old 5th September 2006, 17:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

very sad indeed. shows that there is no such thing as 100% safe driving. you can never tell whats coming behind you. hope the poor chap is ok. did you say the driver of the car was a girl ?
Old 5th September 2006, 18:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Driving a bike on Delhi's roads is really really dangerous. Plz resort to other options rather than travelling on bikes wherever possible. It is riskier during night-time when policing is almost near 'Zero'. If someone happens to drive on bikes during night-time then God help them because without fear of the police or anything people just go berserk on Delhi roads.
Old 5th September 2006, 18:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ahh... sad to hear that from your phonecall aZa but that's what happens when young kids drive around in their pop's swanky cars racing others. IMHO underage people should never be let loose anywhere near the vicinity of roads like the Expressway. But hopefully the biker is OK & so are the kids, but rest assured it's going to be a traumatic experience for all involved.

Driving on these roads requires a lot of experience and people don't realise that thinking how hard can it be on a road which is so wide & well paved with one-way traffic. But once you get into big speeds remember the crashes are going to be big too & if you don't have the experience you are going to screw-up big time in an emergency situation.

This incident also shows why I am personally wary of holding a meet involving driving on the expressway because especially with people like us involved it turns into a race & that can lead to some very disastrous consequences.
Old 5th September 2006, 19:04   #7
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Yep i frequent expressway since my gf's college is just there, everyday i see some or the other accident, everyday i see ppl driving at over 150kmph kinda speeds. Since there are a lot of villages around the expressway, its also used by tractors and villagers in scooters. Also the expressway gets crowded as we approach noida crossing and also when we approach the PARI chowk on the greater noida side this is where accidents happen as the fast moving traffic merges with the slow moving one.

From what i saw i think the car was driven by the school boy, he was in school uniform (modern school).
Old 5th September 2006, 19:30   #8
BHPian

thats like the sickest possible thing if it was the school boy driving...he's gotta be underage..
were the cops there at the scene?
Old 5th September 2006, 19:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

This incident shows that even if we ride safely, actually we are not safe. Hope that poor biker is fine.
Old 5th September 2006, 20:07   #10
aZa
Senior - BHPian

No cops were around nor were the highway patrol taveras ... and knowing noida cops nothing is gonna happen. i think the kids in the octy thought the car was on FIRE after the impact as there was a lot of smoke. Probably thats why they stopped and jumped out of the car.
Old 5th September 2006, 21:48   #11
Jay
BHPian

Thats a freak accident... who was driving the Octy...kids ???
Old 11th September 2006, 17:35   #12
BHPian

thats why i try to leave all behind while on my bike, i escape the scene of the accident that way!! less time on the road=less time for any accident to happen

but seriously, its dangerous to drive a bike in delhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks