Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2006, 19:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indigo Crash w/Pics

Guys I saw this Indgo yesterday on NH 24 while coming back after finishing some work:

Evidently the car had crashed head-on into a State Transport Bus with both vehicles doing high-speeds. The front right portion had completely collapsed and the A-pillar was dragged back till the time where it has actually started touching the B-pillar. The ST bus driver of course abandoned the bus and ran away from the spot.

Later I got the news that the driver expired on the spot (as expected) and the owner sitting behind has serious injuries and is right now in ICU but his condition is stable now.

Guys I posted this here just to remind everyone that there are a lot of untrained, unsafe drivers out there especially those driving Trucks & Buses. So whenever you are on the highways take care, be alert and take evasive action yourself. Do not expect the other person to react & avoid a crash always move your car to safety without waiting for the other vehicle/driver to react.

Stay safe & drive safe.
Old 5th September 2006, 19:26   #2
BHPian

thats shocking..!! the bus must not even have proper headlights on..this is sad..really..and the car is just a mess..hope the owner gets well soon
Old 5th September 2006, 19:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Damn!

The car is a total mess..and looking at how far the A-pillar is pushed back, the poor driver didn't stand a chance..
Old 5th September 2006, 19:53   #4
BHPian

looking at the front pics...i could harldy make out that it is an indigo ....the accident must have accured at about 70 + or something..
really sad & shocking.....may the owner get well suun
Old 5th September 2006, 19:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats just a horrible one, theres no chance of the driver to survive such a crash
Old 5th September 2006, 20:09   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

The indigo is totalled !!! damn ... looking at the last pic, driver had no chance!
Old 5th September 2006, 20:49   #7
BHPian

The Indigo is smashed completely. am sorry about the driver.

Please Drive safe people, dont forget your seatbelts

Prevention better than cure

M516
Old 5th September 2006, 21:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan
wow....PAPER CAR THT INDIGO.....smashed....wht was the driver thinking....well guess its time to go in for a new car and it definetly not gona be a TATA.
?? At such speeds only a tank can save you. Indigo/ca is one of the safest cars around today.
Old 5th September 2006, 21:52   #9
Jay
BHPian

Whoa ... in the first two pics, one cannot make out that its an indigo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
?? At such speeds only a tank can save you. Indigo/ca is one of the safest cars around today.
True, TATA cars are more known for their build than comfort....
Old 5th September 2006, 22:00   #10

NH24 is very much vulnerable to such accidents because of no dividers and bad road conditions.

Once I avoided an accident with a truck from opposite direction when I was overtaking the state bus.

The truck braked..but even if I also wud have braked heavily my condition wud have been like this.!!!!

I saved my self by landing on the right side of the road safetly.

Thank God all five in the car were lucky.
Old 5th September 2006, 22:45   #11
kdb
BHPian

HOLY !

iraghava: Which part of NH 24 did u see this car.. i also travel everyday from the same highway...

Guys drive safe....
Old 5th September 2006, 23:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very bad accident. Feel sorry for the driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THELUCKY
NH24 is very much vulnerable to such accidents because of no dividers and bad road conditions.

Once I avoided an accident with a truck from opposite direction when I was overtaking the state bus.

The truck braked..but even if I also wud have braked heavily my condition wud have been like this.!!!!

I saved my self by landing on the right side of the road safetly.

Thank God all five in the car were lucky.
Why would you blame the road for the accident that you just missed? If you were overtaking the bus you should have first made sure that the traffic from the opposite side is clear and you are safe. Only then you should overtake the vehicle infront of you especially heavy vehicles.

It's fact that more than 90% of the accidents on the highways occur during overtaking. There are some basic point that you have to follow to overtake.
  • Always keep atleast 30 - 40 meters between you and the vehicle before you. If you are driving fast or you are having bad brakes keep the distance even more.
  • When planning to overtake keep watch on the traffic in the opposite lane without decreasing the distance between you and vehicle before you.
  • Overtake only from the right side of the other vehicle.
  • When the lane is clear, and there are no curves immediately ahead and you have comfortable space to get back to your lane after passing the vehicle, only then attempt to overtake.
  • Make sure that nobody is trying to overtake you from behind.
  • Give a clear signal to the driver in the front that you are planning to overtake.
  • Wait for a confirmation from the other driver for you to overtake or atleast he moves to left giving you more space to overtake.
  • If the driver is indicating to hold, listen to him. He is seeing something that is not visible to you.
  • When overtaking, increase the speed of the car just quick enough that you finish the overtaking faster, not something that you may loose control of your car.
  • After you pass the vehicle, don't immediately get back in to left lane. Continue in the same lane until you see complete front of the vehicle you just passed in your passenger side rear view mirror. Be cautious, the distance between could be less than what you see in outer rear view mirror.
  • Get back in to the left lane.
  • Use your right indicator when you are planning to overtake to hint the drivers behind you. After you pass the vehicle, switch the left indicator to hint that you are moving back in to left lane.
It is not as difficult as said. Just requires some patience and observation. Takes less than a minute to complete the whole process. Rule of thumb is "always make sure that you have clear view of where you are directing your car and it is clear and safe for you and other vehicles". This way, risk of driving on highways is almost zero.

When somebody is trying to overtake you, ease off on your acclerator and let the other vehicle pass you. If possible move a little bit to the left. Don't try to race with the vehicle. It's not a drag race.

Drive safe and take care. Before you attempt to any risky maneuver think about your family for fraction of second.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 5th September 2006 at 23:31.
Old 5th September 2006, 23:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb
HOLY !

iraghava: Which part of NH 24 did u see this car.. i also travel everyday from the same highway...

Guys drive safe....
Well this is about 15kms before Moradabad about 13 kms after Joya.
Old 6th September 2006, 00:05   #14
bhp
BHPian

well this is one of the most horrible smashed cars i have seen....imagine a heavy vehicle like tata wat would have happened to a maruti.....cant even recognize the car in first 2 pics
Old 6th September 2006, 11:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Jeez Ishan, that's one BAD crash! You better take care as well my friend, that's one BAD highway. Too many rash state bus drivers, too many inexperienced brash car drivers with little or no highway driving experience....a lethal cocktail.

Ishan is absolutely correct guys, better to take evasive action and give way than to end it like this...no ego hassles whatsoever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks