Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2015, 09:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unpollute and decongest Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Agree. Like I said, enforce PUC. You should see how cabbies, autos, and a majority of private cars bribe their way out from fender benders when cops arrive and ask for the RC, Ins, and PUC.

Like you said, is it the courts job? But this has its own dedicated lobbies to protest against. The bodies that be will again cower and run, and put out more amazing restrictions on the most "adjusting". All to save time for the next jaunt.
1. If PUC is a joke check the crtification places and clamp down HARD. Every three months is another joke. As it stands Delhi gives a 12 month validity for BS-IV cars while Haryana (that includes Faridabad and Gurgaon) allows three months. I say, the UK model of a comprehensive MOT once a year, incl pollution is much simpler and workable.

As far fuel adulteration goes there are well established mafias, remember Manjunath! The only way to break them is catch their mentors, the netas. Also, take the case of Nepal. Some time back (a year plus) they stopped subsidies on Petroleum products. Result kerosene and Diesel became about the same. Diesel sales shot up, and Kerosene crashed. One need not explain what was behind it. To get an idea of true K price look at ATF, which is essentially Kerosene.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 10:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Banning diesel cars is simply an eyewash. It isn't going to help too much in reduction in pollution.

Acquisition of land to build wider roads might be impossible.

Make public transport so tempting to use (i.e Improve it )that people will just park their cars somewhere and use Metro and Busses for convenience.

Here's a very nice gif:
Name:  sCvRIEd.gif
Views: 719
Size:  1.11 MB

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 19th December 2015 at 10:02.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 13:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Make public transport so tempting to use (i.e Improve it )that people will just park their cars somewhere and use Metro and Busses for convenience.
Bingo, You might have the answer to their woes. Why not make it free for car owners and do some innovative things like adding miles on some card(can be a smatphone app) if they travel on the public mode of transport.

Let them exchange this miles for some stuff like paytm cash.

instead of doing something crazy let the government use technology and bring innovative solutions, instead of just following ideas from the west or going on a war footing.

Pramod
Old 21st December 2015, 19:29   #19
BHPian

Well, Delhi is the capital city and there are many govt vehicles here. Why the govt is not taking a decision to shift to petrol/ CNG as far as their own vehicles are concerned?
Old 4th January 2016, 11:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

My retired, almost septuagenarian dad has to take a cab on the days when he cant take his car. But that's beside the point.
What is the ban keeping off the road?
A way-within-PUC-limits personal car!

What is on the road in its stead?
A mileage wise 15 year old cab.

What is going to happen when the schools re-open and the loaners go back?

The capacity augmentation of metro's and buses hardly seems capable of handling the guys dropping their cars for public transport after exemption. When exemption is dropped, what will happen?
Old 20th January 2016, 11:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, a more logical, and little bit of a thought-out step.
However, buses also need to realize that its a figurative two-way street.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...20012016006018
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 14:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Some very good ideas. I would request you to assimilate all the info and write to our CM.

Quote:
Chief Minister's Office
e-mail your Chief Minister
mail at: cmdelhi@nic.in
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 13:07   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I mailed a link to the thread to Gopal rai.
He has forwarded the mail to Parimal Rai (Principal Secretary cum-Commissioner, transport).
"Sir , Forwarded for your kind perusal and appropriate necessary action at your end and action taken report may be sent to applicant under intimate to immediate this office."

I like the "action taken report may be..." bit.
Lets see.
Fill the thread up, I suppose. Someone may be reading.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 20:45   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Well, I mailed a link to the thread to Gopal rai.

Fill the thread up, I suppose. Someone may be reading.
I would hope someone is reading AND planning to DO something about it.

Here's a pic taken by one of my cycling partners yesterday in Lutyens' Delhi, early in the morning. The background says it all.

Unpollute and decongest Delhi-delhi.jpg

Lighting fires is a common sight in this - the most secure - part of Delhi. What is even more interesting, is the smell of wood smoke all over the area, with smoke trailing up from behind high walls guarded by armed sentries.

Yes, folks residing in those plush bungalows behind those high walls, whose gardeners light those fires with the residents happily looking the other way, are certainly reading.

But they don't really care about unpolluting Delhi.
Old 27th January 2016, 09:35   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I would hope someone is reading AND planning to DO something about it.

---------SNIP--------

But they don't really care about unpolluting Delhi.
Actually, this is a big problem in this area. All of lutyen's.
No rules applicable. And its power by proxy. I've stayed here for more than 30 years, and its the attending staff who blatantly ignore such rules, knowing that no cop is going to behave the way he would were it not this region of delhi. It is much too common to see the leaves pile up for days outside a house, and one day, its on fire. It's pretty idiotic to have "diye tale andhera", but that's the way it is.
I do hope someone takes note.
The rest of delhi does not have this much of an issue like this, because we dont have trees...
Old 27th January 2016, 09:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

At last a start has been made - checking fuel bunks. I am sure some of the more blatant chaps will try and bribe their way out, if frequently checked the bakhshish will at least add to their 'establishment expenses'!

Why are we still legally permitting BS-II commercial vehicles to be sold and registered. Barring one family from the Tata range, and Volvo almost all others are guilty esp where HGVs are concerned.

Even AK49's own environment dept has said that there were no measurable gains from his odd-even game. I think far more than the gains was the cost of advertisements. Why not take a leaf out of MH and reduce taxes on EVs. I cannot see how the pseudo-green cars (mostly start stop or worse) were exempted. Get some environmental and transport engineers (not activists) to suggest. I do not think an ex-IRS officer can claim to be an expert.
Old 19th February 2016, 11:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know whether to post this in the JOke thread.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...19022016003027

Feb 19 2016 : The Times of India (Delhi)
`VVIP movement doesn't cause traffic jams'
New Delhi
PTI

The city police on Thursday claimed in high court that VVIP movement do not lead to huge traffic jams in the capital and refuted claims that a woman had given birth to a child inside a bus due to snarls caused by a major global summit here last year.
“It is incorrect that VVIP movements leads to huge traffic problem and public suffer for hours,“ Delhi Police's traffic department said in an affidavit before a bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath.

The deputy commissioner of police (traffic) filed the affidavit in response to the court's notice last year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks