Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2016, 10:00   #1
BHPian

How to get a Driving Licence in Bangalore without agents

Hi,

Well it might sound weird why would you have a post here in Team-BHP which specifies the procedure for applying for a DL, where everyone here would already have a DL, but in case there is someone who wants to apply for a fresh license in Bangalore because of any reason, this post of mine might come in handy.

The reason I had to apply for a fresh DL in Bangalore was because of the fact that I had a paper license which was issued in my hometown Bareilly and everything was written in Hindi. So when I talked to the agents here in Bangalore, they said I'll have to apply fresh.

I would like to thank 'Prakhar Goel' for mentioning everything you need to do for a learner's licence in the link https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-get-...e-in-Bangalore. I'll however mention the few basic points I did.

Process for LL

Pre-requisites

RTO: Electronic City

1. We need to apply for LL first and then after completing minimum one month only you can apply for a DL.
2. You would need an age proof and address proof, along with corresponding original documents.
3. Age Proof: 10th class marksheet / PAN card / Voter ID.
4. Address Proof: Aadhar Card(if you have), otherwise any of the following mentioned in the above link.
5. Three Photographs
6. Chalan of 30 Rs each for each class of vehicle.

Applying for LL online:

1. You need to visit rto.kar.nic.in, and though they mention the settings to be used for so many other browsers, I couldn't find them working other than IE, so I just opened Internet Explorer from a windows machine. Need not be IE 7 which is mentioned in the link as I could make it work in the later versions of IE as well.

2. Click on the Online Applications Tab under http://rto.kar.nic.in, and select 'Online application for new Learning License'.

3. Enter all the required details and depending upon the type of license you are applying for, select those options.

4. After filling the application form, just verify all the details before you click submit, as after that you won't be able to make any changes in the form.

5. After you click submit, you will get an application number. Note down the application number as by using that number only, you can then take a printout of the form.

6. Exam preparations. Prepare these 3 sections, as well as read up about questions asked in the LL test.
Mandatory Signs - http://www.rto.kar.nic.in/signs/...
Cautionary Signs - http://www.rto.kar.nic.in/signs/...
Informatory Signs - http://www.rto.kar.nic.in/signs/...

7. You have to attend an online test which will have 15 questions, asking about road signs, driving ethics, common sense and emergency steps. Will be good to read up a bit for this. You will need 10 correct answers to pass this test.

Visiting RTO Office: Electronic City - Time 10 AM

1. Make sure you are in the RTO office by 10, otherwise the queue keeps getting longer with every minute passed.

2. You need to first take the chalan on the basis of the application you are applying for. I guess its 30 for each type of License, so 30 for Two wheeler and 30 for LMV. So if you are applying for MCWOG (Motor Cycle Without Gear-Non Transport), MCWG (Motor Cycle With Gear-NT), LMV-NT (Light Motor Vehicle-NT), then you have take a chalan of 60 Rs.

3. Take the chalan and stand in the queue in front of Room No. 1, where an officer will tally your originals with the photo-copy you have attached with the form.

4. After the documents are verified he will sign the documents and then, while you come out from Room No. 1, please make sure to collect the token number which is required to get your finger-print and photo done in Room Number 8 (upstairs).

5. After your biometrics are done, you will need to visit Room No. 3 (downstairs) and apply for the online test.

6. There is no time-limit for the test, so give it after reading and thinking properly, because if you fail you will have to do everything what you have done today the very next day as well. You need 10 correct answers to pass the test.

7. Once you pass the test, the person there will collect your documents and will ask you to come 2 days later and collect your LL from Room number 4 between 2 PM - 4PM, though you can visit anytime you want (but after two days only).

8. Once you come after two days, you need to directly go to Room No. 4 and tell the people sitting there that you need to collect the LL. They will direct you to a basket which will contain too many LL's. You need to search yourself and take the LL's out. If you have applied for LMV and MCWG/MCWOG, make sure you collect two different LLs, as there are two different LLs for both.

Total Cost: 60 Rs
RTO Visits: 2

Applying for New Driving License - After 1 month (Minimum)

Applying online - again

1. You should fill the application form after you have completed 1 month with your LL (and within 6 months).

2. You need to visit the same old website again http://rto.kar.nic.in from our favorite browser, IE.

3. Select 'Online Application for New Driving License' under 'Online Applications' tab.

4. Enter all the details required in the application form. You will also need to enter the details of the LL under Section - C in the application, where you have to enter details of both the LLs (in case you have more than one) which you have to attach along with the application form.

5. After entering all the details, just verify once before submitting.

6. After you submit your application, take a note of the application number and then take a printout of the application.

Visiting RTO Office

Pre-Requisites:

1. You should have completed minimum one month before you can apply for a DL.

2. If you are applying for only MCWOG/MCWG, you need to go with that for the test and you should know Hand-signals before you go to the inspector (as he will be asking those). So, just see some agents there - they will be telling their clients on what all hand signals are there. There are just four-five hand signals which you need to know.

3. If you are applying for only LMV, you need to go with your Car for the test and the officer will ask you to either take a round around the area or he might sit as well and take you for a detailed test.

4. If you are applying for both (this one is tricky), then you have to take help of one of your friends to come with a geared motorbike (in case you are applying for MCWG and MCWOG), or non-geared motorbike in case you have applied for only MCWOG, as you will be required to give both the tests. I didn't have a motor bike so had to plead in front of an agent for 20-30 min before he gave me his bike and charged 200 Rs.

5. From one of the shops outside the RTO (there are plenty), you need to collect a form for Driving test (Forgot the number), an envelope with the stamps and a small plastic pouch. The persons there are aware of that and will give it to you the moment you tell them you are applying without agents.

Final Day - RTO: Electronic City, Time: 10AM

1. Make sure you are there by 10, otherwise its only going to make your visit longer. If you are not able to finish the driving test (Officer is only there from 11:30 - 1:30), you will have to visit again and go through the entire process again.

2. Stand in the queue in front of Room No. 1, get all your documents verified. The officer will sign the documents and then when you are coming out, make sure to collect the coupon from the person sitting outside room no. 1. This is the token for your biometrics test which will be done in room number 8 (same in the case of LL).

3. Get the Chalan from the cash counter. This time, you will need to pay 320 Rs for LMV, MCWOG and MCWG.

4. Get your biometrics test done in Room No. 8, and then visit Room Number 4 (The same room you collected your LL from sometime back).

5. The person there will enter the details into his system and after that, you need to go to Room no. 3.

6. The person sitting there will ask for the documents of the Car as well as the two wheeler whose details he will enter in the form (RC, Insurance and PUC). You just need to show papers and they need not be yours as well. I think they are for the vehicle you are going to use for the test. After that, you have to go out of the office and ask for the place where the inspector takes the Driving test and wait for the inspector to come.

7. You need to give both the tests and after the tests are done, you need to visit Room No. 3.

8. The person there will take your application, along with the envelope and will tell you that the DL will be delivered to you within 15-20 days.

I'm yet to receive my DL. So hopefully, I'll receive my DL within a few days from now.

Total Cost: Rs. 320
RTO Visits: 1

Happy and Safe Driving.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2016 at 11:49. Reason: Spacing :). Thanks for sharing!
gurha is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 11:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to get a Driving Licence in Bangalore without agents

Thread moved to the Street Experiences Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 12:29   #3
BHPian

Thanks gurha! That's very informative and it is the right way to go about getting our licenses.

Kudos to you to have gone around agents and applied directly. Hope you get your DL soon, and I'll be eagerly waiting for your post.
sidzzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 12:40   #4
BHPian

That's a wonderful post. Many (including me) refrain from doing this due to the pain and the harassment involved. Thanks mate for all your research and time
belvaisudheer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 13:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for putting down such a comprehensive procedure. Surely goes to show that sometimes if you are lucky, the whole process can be hassle free without any agents. When I had applied for the DL in 2001, the process was much simpler. In a nutshell, got my LL through a well know motor driving school. Once done, waited for a month and for the permanent license for geared vehicle and LMV(NT); just filled the form, then the inspector stood under a tree and asked us to take one round on a geared scooter (I remember it as some common Chetak, don't even know whose it was) and one round in a rickety old M800. Once done, taadaa... Got a permanent paper license which I laminated much later on.

Nowadays, however; they have made it much tougher with a written exam and a stringent test. Which I think should be the norm.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 15:06   #6
BHPian

Informative post, Gurha!

IMHO, the whole agent-business needs to be eradicated from the system. If a person needs a DL, he should just apply directly in the RTO. People go through agents to avoid the hassles; but a major chunk goes through them because of their inability to ride/drive. Perhaps this way we'll have much lesser menace-creating species.

P.S : A test run of this would be appreciated by Bangalorians
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 15:29   #7
BHPian

Hi Gurha,

Just curious to know if, at any point, anyone asked for bribe ??

Few years back when I went for the DL (RTO: Indiranagar) I realized that there is an assistant of the Inspector who actually collects the required documents along with the bribe and then sends you to the inspector who then takes you for the test.

However I escaped paying the bribe. How ? , well that's another long story

Hope the system has changed now and bribery is the thing of the past
T-Bone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 16:35   #8
BHPian

Hey Gurha,
Thanks for the wonderful detailed and informative procedure write up. We always used to do short cuts (through agents) for things that are not too cumbersome to do as well. Keep up good citizen
lovetorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 23:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
Hi,

The reason I had to apply for a fresh DL in Bangalore was because of the ....

Happy and Safe Driving.
Great to hear a story similar to mine!

I too had gotten my DL first for the bike and four years later for the car without the help of an agent.

I will also admit that I failed my DL test once on both occasions but that did not deter me from getting it without the "assistance" of an agent.

The feeling is spectacular. I am very proud of my DL since it is not tainted in anyway. I will also specify that I did not find any need to go through an agent either. As long as you know to drive and know your road signs, you have nothing to fear. You will pass with flying colours.

Trust me, when you get that DL in your hand, you know that you've earned it and not bought it. The feeling is something you will need to experience to understand.

Kudos to you.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 08:17   #10
BHPian

Great stuff, man. Hats off for demystifying what's otherwise made out to be something that can be obtained only through an agent.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 10:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzzone View Post
Thanks gurha! That's very informative and it is the right way to go about getting our licenses.

Kudos to you to have gone around agents and applied directly. Hope you get your DL soon, and I'll be eagerly waiting for your post.
Thanks sidzzone, Yes I never wanted to go through the agents and I'm happy that I could do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvaisudheer View Post
That's a wonderful post. Many (including me) refrain from doing this due to the pain and the harassment involved. Thanks mate for all your research and time
belvaisudheer, Well Its not that hard anyways, you just need couple of days and you can get the License without paying anything to those agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Thanks for putting down such a comprehensive procedure. Surely goes to show that sometimes if you are lucky, the whole process can be hassle free without any agents. When I had applied for the DL in 2001, the process was much simpler. In a nutshell, got my LL through a well know motor driving school. Once done, waited for a month and for the permanent license for geared vehicle and LMV(NT); just filled the form, then the inspector stood under a tree and asked us to take one round on a geared scooter (I remember it as some common Chetak, don't even know whose it was) and one round in a rickety old M800. Once done, taadaa... Got a permanent paper license which I laminated much later on.

Nowadays, however; they have made it much tougher with a written exam and a stringent test. Which I think should be the norm.
W.A.G.7, Thanks for comments. Yes, it's always the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
Informative post, Gurha!

IMHO, the whole agent-business needs to be eradicated from the system. If a person needs a DL, he should just apply directly in the RTO. People go through agents to avoid the hassles; but a major chunk goes through them because of their inability to ride/drive. Perhaps this way we'll have much lesser menace-creating species.

P.S : A test run of this would be appreciated by Bangalorians
Thanks satrikon_454. Yes, I also feel this whole agent systems should be eradicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Hi Gurha,

Just curious to know if, at any point, anyone asked for bribe ??

Few years back when I went for the DL (RTO: Indiranagar) I realized that there is an assistant of the Inspector who actually collects the required documents along with the bribe and then sends you to the inspector who then takes you for the test.

However I escaped paying the bribe. How ? , well that's another long story

Hope the system has changed now and bribery is the thing of the past
T-Bone, No I didn't paid any bribe neither was I asked for it. And I never felt that anyone is demanding for it. If you have passed your tests I should you can easily get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorque View Post
Hey Gurha,
Thanks for the wonderful detailed and informative procedure write up. We always used to do short cuts (through agents) for things that are not too cumbersome to do as well. Keep up good citizen
Thanks lovetorque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Great to hear a story similar to mine!

I too had gotten my DL first for the bike and four years later for the car without the help of an agent.

I will also admit that I failed my DL test once on both occasions but that did not deter me from getting it without the "assistance" of an agent.

The feeling is spectacular. I am very proud of my DL since it is not tainted in anyway. I will also specify that I did not find any need to go through an agent either. As long as you know to drive and know your road signs, you have nothing to fear. You will pass with flying colours.

Trust me, when you get that DL in your hand, you know that you've earned it and not bought it. The feeling is something you will need to experience to understand.

Kudos to you.
Thanks ashwin.terminat, Yes it felt great, though I'm yet to receive my DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Great stuff, man. Hats off for demystifying what's otherwise made out to be something that can be obtained only through an agent.
Thanks anilp.
gurha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 18:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would like to share my license story. I already had a MCWOG license for our activa after turning 16, so, on my 18th birthday (thankfully a working day), I applied for learning license for 4 wheeler. After continuously pestering dad to let me take the car our, I was confident enough to apply for a permanent licence 3 months later. Dad was a good teacher and made sure I am always in control of the car I drive.

Never approached any agent in both instances and was always the first in queue at those days. 15 days later I had my permanent license.

Note- If you already have a license for a non-geared bike/motorcycle, you'll need to to fill a form for "addition of another class of vehicle" instead of applying again. This'll save you some extra trips for biometrics and address verification (if address remains same).
Old 31st January 2016, 10:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
Hi,

I'm yet to receive my DL. So hopefully, I'll receive my DL within a few days from now.

Total Cost: Rs. 320
RTO Visits: 1

Happy and Safe Driving.
Thanks a lot for publishing this.

IMO, two important things - or can we say that these are the soft skills - ability to speak the local language and a lot of patience makes a huge difference.

There is a marked change in attitude of the RTO employee when one converses in the local language. I have experienced this twice in my dealings with the RTO folks. I understand, it may be difficult for many of us here who are residing in another state outside of our home town, but trust me, making an attempt to converse in the local language - with a greeting at the bare minimum can make a difference.

Patience is something we need in very large doses while dealing with govt agencies - I am sure most of here would have observed that.

Thanks,

Ramas.
Old 1st February 2016, 12:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramassrs View Post
Thanks a lot for publishing this.

IMO, two important things - or can we say that these are the soft skills - ability to speak the local language and a lot of patience makes a huge difference.
I would agree on the first part completely, but sadly not on the second part. I don't know Kannada but still the behavior of the people at the RTO office or even BESCOM office, it never made me feel that I should have known Kannada prior to applying.

You definitely need patience as the speed of work is really slow.
Old 1st February 2016, 16:12   #15
BHPian

Thanks a lot Gurha for sharing the story. While reading your post, I also remembered my story of getting DL at Kalyan RTO.

BHPians residing in MH 05 area very well know how Kalyan RTO functioned back in 2003. Fortunately my friend's mother was working in RTO that time. Me and my other friend told our RTO friend that we want to get a license. We never visited the office for LL. It came directly after submitting documents to him .
1 month passed. Now came the hard part of giving a test. Somehow we managed to secure a Kinetic Honda and drove to RTO office. None of us could drive a bike and we had applied for MCWG license and Kinectic Honda fell in that category.

After necessary checks, the inspector came and both of us took 1 round each around the perimeter of the RTO office. We also saw some people failing the tests so were afraid a bit. However, we managed to drive the vehicle and got our DLs. I learnt to drive a motorcycle 1 year after I got the license.

Few years later I applied for Car driving license in 2005. My teacher at driving school was very strict and he used to take me in rush hour traffic every day for almost 15 days. The vehicle was Maruti 800 petrol car. His record till date is that no student has failed the RTO test. He also taught me how to get the car moving in 3rd gear (disclaimer: please don't try this at home).

Then came the test day. I was asked to drive for just 1 round & 1 reverse gear test. Got car driving DL also in first attempt. No online tests, no biometric. I still have paper license which will expire in 2023.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks